Claro 3G

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Does Claro have a prepaid option that includes 3G data? I'm thinking of a dual SIM phone and it receives WDCMA 850, Claro's 3G frequency.

Might be interesting to have both an Orange and Claro phone in the same device, with 3G ability...

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Yeah they have daily, weekly and monthly pre-paid options for 3G data. Daily plan was 128 pesos for 200MB of traffic, weekly about 500-700 pesos for 1GB or something last time I used them.

Feb 7, 2007
You can activate and use Claro's Blackberry social, at RD$25 per day (RD$750 per month) with taxes included. Set up APN on your phone and you are ready to go. You can also tether with your laptop if your phone allows it. They claim "unlimited" but you are given about 5 GB of data per month at 3G speeds, according to HEARSAY.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes those are plans for those "not in the know". It's way cheaper to activate BB social. Not many people know it has an open APN.

(in plain English: open APN means that for some services that use APN you connect via Claro Internet network and not via RIM/BB network. Services on BB such as Opera Mini browser, Logic mail, etc. use APN...as well as ALL apps on Iphone, Android, Nokia, etc. so with open APN you are navigating fully over the Claro Internet network, same as Internet Movil).

CB can try and activate it for one day, from his SIM *111# and follow the menu. Then set up your phone with APN: internet.ideasclaro.com.do username/pw in blank. If it works, you can just use BB social and navigate from your 3G phone or via laptop. No need to buy "Internet Movil".

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes those are plans for those "not in the know". It's way cheaper to activate BB social. Not many people know it has an open APN.

(in plain English: open APN means that for some services that use APN you connect via Claro Internet network and not via RIM/BB network. Services on BB such as Opera Mini browser, Logic mail, etc. use APN...as well as ALL apps on Iphone, Android, Nokia, etc. so with open APN you are navigating fully over the Claro Internet network, same as Internet Movil).

CB can try and activate it for one day, from his SIM *111# and follow the menu. Then set up your phone with APN: internet.ideasclaro.com.do username/pw in blank. If it works, you can just use BB social and navigate from your 3G phone or via laptop. No need to buy "Internet Movil".
Multiple likes, George.

I assume you have to get a Claro SIM first, so I get a new pre-paid # and then but BB social per month? I wouldn't mind having both an Orange # and Claro # in the same dual-SIM phone I'm contemplating. That would almost guarantee coverage wherever I am...

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, buy a Claro SIM card, ask them for a 3G SIM (128 kbit). Don't tell them you will activate BB plan, just tell them you want a 3G SIM for future 3G use. Once in your phone, set up APN on your phone and try to see a basic page (e.g. Google) in the inbuilt browser. Once you see that the phone's navigating fine, activate BB social. Dial *111# and follow the menu to buy BB Social, 1 day for example, RD$25 to try it out, and after it is activated, check your balance *122#, then navigate with the phone to some content-richer pages (e.g. dr1.com) and after couple of minutes check your balance again. It should be the same as before and no money should be deducted for browsing you just did.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I heard about this BB Social, but didn't know about 3G SIM (being different from other SIMs) - I thought any SIM will work...

I already have a Claro SIM, is there anyway to find out if it is a 3G SIM ? I guess I can go to Claro store, hopefully, then can tell. (Can I just do the test you mentioned above !?)

Is it just for high speed or is 3G SIM essential for BB Social to work ?

Cheers,

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Yes, buy a Claro SIM card, ask them for a 3G SIM (128 kbit). Don't tell them you will activate BB plan, just tell them you want a 3G SIM for future 3G use. Once in your phone, set up APN on your phone and try to see a basic page (e.g. Google) in the inbuilt browser. Once you see that the phone's navigating fine, activate BB social. Dial *111# and follow the menu to buy BB Social, 1 day for example, RD$25 to try it out, and after it is activated, check your balance *122#, then navigate with the phone to some content-richer pages (e.g. dr1.com) and after couple of minutes check your balance again. It should be the same as before and no money should be deducted for browsing you just did.

They were selling claro Internet cards with sim on duarte in from of plaza lama last Saturday.they had different cards with different Internet plans.
Bob

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The SIM card must say 128kb . It is for 3G to work.

Thanks for this, I found the little 128kb on the back of my SIM, so it must be the 3G SIM then. It also says 128kb on the credit-card size card that it was originally attached to.

I didn't particularly ask for it, but I'm glad it is the right one. Will give BB Social a try when I go back....

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Hi there, trying to understand this before recharging my travel iPhone when I get back to the D.R.
Get a new 128 simm card (have one now but i'm sure it's expired) at the Claro in the airport, find an Apple App called APN, I "think" there's one for a charge. Then set it up as previously explained? And the BB Social wouldn't apply to me in this case right?

Thanks in advance for you assistance.