Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Member

Hi All

After reading many posts here over the last few months, I decided to join here as some of the info that and topics that have been discussed are quite informative.

My wife and Itravel to the DR a few times a year and will be planning to retire there.

In late May we are flying into Santiago (never flown in there before) at 2AM and want to get to Sosua. I know there are no buses running at that time of night. How relaible are taxis at that time of night to get to Sosua?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to always think of safety here to reduce your odds of becoming a victim. Driving at night can be dangerous, especially when roads are deserted, which would be the case at 2AM. Spend your 2AM cab fare on a hotel and take the bus. Metro bus is the best bus line.

3. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travelbear View Post
    Hi All

After reading many posts here over the last few months, I decided to join here as some of the info that and topics that have been discussed are quite informative.

My wife and Itravel to the DR a few times a year and will be planning to retire there.

In late May we are flying into Santiago (never flown in there before) at 2AM and want to get to Sosua. I know there are no buses running at that time of night. How relaible are taxis at that time of night to get to Sosua?
    For your own safety, your best bet is to stay in a cheap hotel in Santiago for that morning and then wait until the Metro or Caribe Tours buses are running that morning. A taxi from Santiago to Sosua will run you a lot of money and it is not safe at that time of the morning. Plus the roads are deserted at that time.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DR1 Bear.
    I am a little wild. I suggest to stay overnight in a motel and rent a car in the morning and enjoy your trip to sosua.

6. Dislikes Criss Colon disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Can you recommend a dwecent hotel that is easy to get to from the airport and near the bus depot.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hodelpa Garden Court is close to the airport, but about 25 or so min. to the bus terminal. Hodelpa Gran Almirante, which I have stayed in quite a bit, (good hotel) is quite close to the Metro terminal, but a longer ride at night. Close to Hodelpa Almirante is Hotel Los Jardines, which will save you money over the other two, I believe. Has a lot of recommendations by DR1 folks, I've seen.

These are all expensive hotels for Santiago. (Gran Almirante is around $200/nite w/all taxes.) If these are more expensive than you are looking for, maybe someone else can chime in on a good budget hotel.

The safest is Hotel Garden Court, closer to the airport. Safest = less driving at nite.
    Last edited by latitude19; 05-10-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys! A newbie here from Cincinnati!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rannyjboy View Post
    Hi guys! A newbie here from Cincinnati!
    Welcome!
    Are you Dominican, do you travel to The D.R.?
    Are you a Sanky/like Sanky's?
    Tell us a little 'bout yourself please.

tambo'

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DR1

Moderator dr1.com

http://www.partidoesperanzademocratica.org/sitio/

Estoy con Ramfis 2020

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations, we will certainly check into this. Usually we fly to POP or out to Punta Cana. This will be our first time flying into STI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast