Orange Dominicana stealing minutes!!!

Jan 22, 2010
Everybody who has a pre paid plan with Orange has to be checking their minutes left on a regular basis.

I have a plan 150 minutes and I am hardly making calls just text messaging a lot and in less then 10 days all my minutes were gone while I maybe used 40 total. So I put a card 100 pesos and in less then 2 days only 10 pesos left and I tried to send a message and it said no balance.

So I called customer service, complaint blablabla 72 hours. I agreed ...
In less then 3 hours they deposited me 10 pesos plus taxes ....so that made my more suspicious

So I called back and did another complaint and in less then 12 hours they deposited me 88 minutes back....so something is wrong there and if you do not check your balance ...minutes will disappear...

T.E.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The same thing was happening to me with Claro...............
Ended up it was my fault.....my wifi was on and I didn't know it..........
If your phone has wifi, make sure it is set to off........

B in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The same thing was happening to me with Claro...............
Ended up it was my fault.....my wifi was on and I didn't know it..........
If your phone has wifi, make sure it is set to off........

B in Santiago
How does wifi affect your phone credits? Do you mean your 3G?

I tell MotoCaribe guests to shut down their data plan when coming into the country. Every cell company pings it constantly for location and charges you for the bandwidth...at roaming rates.

I once went home to a US$550 bill because of data roaming I maybe used three times in 10 days.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I was using an Iphone 3gs with prepaid phone cards...no plan...
I took the phone over from a girlfriend who bought a new Blackberry.....
At the time I wasn't aware of all the features this phone had.
whenever I would enter an area with wifi, it started to deduct pesos from my balance.....
went to Claro and Cesar showed me the problem and when I turned off the wifi, everything was then normal...

B in Santiago

Feb 7, 2007
to the OP: from your introduction it was not clear whether you have a prepaid pay-as-you-go plan (tarjeta) or prepaid minutes plan (Flex). Because you are talking about 150 minutes, I will assume you have Orange Flex plan (ardilla, leopardo or whatever they are called now).

I don't know exactly how Orange goes about charges in Orange Flex (prepaid minutes plan) these days because I have corporate open line, BUT many years ago when I used Orange Flex it was like this:

You get e.g. 150 minutes plan WORTH 600 pesos. If you send text messages and do web browsing, these are DEDUCTED form your minutes at conversion rate. Let me explain: if you pay 600 pesos for 150 minutes, for example (before taxes) your one minute is worth 4 pesos. Take for example that 1 text message is worth 2 pesos. if you send 10 text messages, it is worth 20 pesos. How many minutes are worth 20 pesos -> 5 minutes. So they deduct 5 minutes from your plan. If you do NOT have data plan (unlimited or pre-purchased megabytes) and you have data set up on your phone (e.g. Iphone, pinging, apps, etc.), they will charge you for data usage by kilobyte on pay-as-you-go basis. 1 MB of data is worth about 20 pesos, so that's like using 5 minutes. Be aware that this regular data transmission uses uncompressed data (as opposed to BIS by RIM which compresses data for email and web browsing when using RIM network form a BB) so it's easy to rack up many many megabytes in data transmission, corresponding data charges are then deducted from your minutes.