GPS App for DR

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, I saw that after I posted. I sent an inquiry to the company about the DR. I asked what cities it covers and if you need to be online to use it.

They sent back that once you download the App it works without being online, and it says all cities in all countries they sell are covered. But I don't believe that part, as usually GPS only works good in SD and Santiago. I will pass on this one.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
solucion

Get the cheapest garmin nuvi you can buy.Go to Google maps on your computer,right click on the location,click on "what's here"what that does,is get you the coordinates.On your garmin there's an option where you can enter coordinates.This takes you door to door,you don't need to download any maps and its free.I went deep,deep into the campo,my gps went from saying "road"since it was the campo instead of street name to off road since the streets have no name even with a downloaded map.AND IT'S FREE!!!!!!

Yes, I saw that after I posted. I sent an inquiry to the company about the DR. I asked what cities it covers and if you need to be online to use it.

They sent back that once you download the App it works without being online, and it says all cities in all countries they sell are covered. But I don't believe that part, as usually GPS only works good in SD and Santiago. I will pass on this one.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
google maps is all I need

Yep Google maps works pretty much everywhere and I just realized my GPS on my phone works (Here in Mexico at least) without having data turned on. That's GPS and maps alone, not turn by turn navigation with voice for that you need to download data, but still you can see where you are down to a few feet and what roads you're following. I haven't tried it in The DR, but I would think it works the same as well.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
it will work if you pre-cache the map(save) on your phone.Go to labs and activate map cache,then go to settings and click on pre cache maps.Go to any place you want on the app,long click on the area of the map that you want to save and it will save a 10 mile radius,so if you have no data,it will show you where you are at least.If you hit the compass on the map,it will show you the map on 3D and show you with direction your heading.It only stays on your phone for about three weeks after you save it.

Yep Google maps works pretty much everywhere and I just realized my GPS on my phone works (Here in Mexico at least) without having data turned on. That's GPS and maps alone, not turn by turn navigation with voice for that you need to download data, but still you can see where you are down to a few feet and what roads you're following. I haven't tried it in The DR, but I would think it works the same as well.