Plan moving to Dominican Republic

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
I am a US citizen and I plan to move to DR with family relatives. Would anyone please share their experiences and what I should expect? As for living conditions, Employment, and etc... I've been to visit several times, and just LOVE IT!! But we all know that it's much more different once living in the Dominican Republic. :D And I plan to stay for about a year would anything happen if I stay passed the visitation limit that the US permits you staying?

Thank you :squareeye

Jan 17, 2009
Welcome to DR1!

"And I plan to stay for about a year would anything happen if I stay passed the visitation limit that the US permits you staying?"

The US does not have a visitation limit if you are a US citizen, the DR has, 30 days. No nothing will happen but you will have to pay a fine when you leave and you will not have legal driving privileges after 90 days.

You are quite correct in suspecting that living here is not the same as visiting.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012

That's what I meant anything after the 30 days, I apologize. Is the fine outrages or something I can easily pay off? Do you love living in the DR? I'm sure it's way differently once living there.. but I'm sure it has it's up's and down's nothing is perfect in that matter lol.:squareeye

Jan 17, 2009
It's about 100 dollars after one year. Here is their website, look under the heading VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA

Direccion General de Migracion

There are some things I like, some things I don't like; the balance is tilting to the latter. You are young and planning it coming for one year, a very different sitatuation. However, don't expect much in terms of finding employment. That is very difficult.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We have quite a reputable DR1'er from Higuey whom I'm sure can offer valuable advice. I live in Santiago and my advice would mostly if you don't have a stable income from somewhere don't move here and expect to find a job as they are difficult to find. If you plan on trying to find work here the best bet would be to come to the DR and look for work first. I don't know if there are a lot of employment opportunities in Higuey so you might have to go to Punta Cana to look for work.

I've live here for some time and am an engineer and started a construction company but it generates very little income. I have a business in Orlando and that too generates very little income. Fortunately, for those willing to make some sacrifices, one can live here in the DR off of about a third of what one would need in the States. Suerte.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

That's what I meant anything after the 30 days, I apologize. Is the fine outrages or something I can easily pay off? Do you love living in the DR? I'm sure it's way differently once living there.. but I'm sure it has it's up's and down's nothing is perfect in that matter lol.:squareeye
I don't think there is any problem with driving after 30 days if you have a valid U.S. driver's licence. An insurance broker should confirm that.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I recently read this book i bought on Amazon. "Moving to the Dominican Republic" by ross webber, it was $20 and not a complete waste of money. I already knew most of the points he tried to get across so it was not as valuable for me i guess. It is still a good book worth reading if you are serious about your move.

Amazon.com: Moving to the Dominican Republic: The Paradox of Paradise (9781449532024): Ross Weber: Books
there is a kindle version also for half the price.

Living there will not be as much as a vacation as your visit were for sure. Good Luck, I am jealous!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't think there is any problem with driving after 30 days if you have a valid U.S. driver's licence. An insurance broker should confirm that.

It is after 90 days when your tourist visa expires that you could have trouble with car insurance. This has come up a lot of times here, including recently. After that time you should officially have a cedula (I.d. card) and DR driving licence to drive. A broker will willingly sell you insurance for a longer term and this will usually be OK if you are stopped in a routine police check, but if you have an accident it seems to be a matter of luck whether the insurance company will pay out.

Other than that, come and live here and as long as you are careful, sensible and watch this site for advice, you will have a great life!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It's about 100 dollars after one year. Here is their website, look under the heading VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA

There are some things I like, some things I don't like; the balance is tilting to the latter. You are young and planning it coming for one year, a very different sitatuation. However, don't expect much in terms of finding employment. That is very difficult.

This link does not work. I'm facing this next week. I've been here since October, 2011. What can I expect to have to pay to escape?
Thanks
Der Fish

If you have been here less than nine months, the overstay fee is RD $1,000. Just paid that amount for a four month stay two weeks ago. Rules are that for three to nine months the fee is a thousand pesos.

Jan 17, 2009
Um, the link works for me. 9 months to 1 year, RD$2,500. Make sure you carry pesos. You can pay with US but you are not going to like the exchange rate. Last year, they were still converting at 30 pesos per US.

This link does not work. I'm facing this next week. I've been here since October, 2011. What can I expect to have to pay to escape?
Thanks
Der Fish

potatohead

May 10, 2012
I recently read this book i bought on Amazon. "Moving to the Dominican Republic" by ross webber, it was $20 and not a complete waste of money. I already knew most of the points he tried to get across so it was not as valuable for me i guess. It is still a good book worth reading if you are serious about your move.

Amazon.com: Moving to the Dominican Republic: The Paradox of Paradise (9781449532024): Ross Weber: Books

Living there will not be as much as a vacation as your visit were for sure. Good Luck, I am jealous!
would you be interested in selling that book to me?

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012

The website really dosen't work for some reason. But thank you, for the information :classic:

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
We have quite a reputable DR1'er from Higuey whom I'm sure can offer valuable advice. I live in Santiago and my advice would mostly if you don't have a stable income from somewhere don't move here and expect to find a job as they are difficult to find. If you plan on trying to find work here the best bet would be to come to the DR and look for work first. I don't know if there are a lot of employment opportunities in Higuey so you might have to go to Punta Cana to look for work.

I've live here for some time and am an engineer and started a construction company but it generates very little income. I have a business in Orlando and that too generates very little income. Fortunately, for those willing to make some sacrifices, one can live here in the DR off of about a third of what one would need in the States. Suerte.

That's what I've heard many from Higuey are employed in Punta Cana. My cousin works in a resort and is telling it's hard finding a job and they're cutting people off because there isn't much tourist coming. Around this season up till November there isn't as much tourisim as it is during nov-april. But I was thinking having about 9,000-10,000 for my stay and hoping i'll find a job for the meantime? But even if i'm bilingual they won't hire me in resorts or tourist areas? I've been doing research but It's hard and feel that I need to physically be in the DR to look for a job. Thank you, for your information :knockedou

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
OMG! I am going to look into purchasing this book. Thank you so much!!!! I may even search ebay and see if there is any available for a cheaper price? But i'm sure living there will no be much as a vacation for sure lol. But thank you so much :knockedou

This message is for: sarah1101

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012

OMG! I am going to look into purchasing this book. Thank you so much!!!! I may even search ebay and see if there is any available for a cheaper price? But i'm sure living there will no be much as a vacation for sure lol. But thank you so much :knockedou

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
If you have been here less than nine months, the overstay fee is RD $1,000. Just paid that amount for a four month stay two weeks ago. Rules are that for three to nine months the fee is a thousand pesos.

That's not so bad. I thought it would be something outrages. Thank you :knockedou

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
Um, the link works for me. 9 months to 1 year, RD$2,500. Make sure you carry pesos. You can pay with US but you are not going to like the exchange rate. Last year, they were still converting at 30 pesos per US.

So it's better to hand it in pesos rather than dollars? I've noticed that when I send money to DR from western union the amount i send in pesos is about 10 dollars short? BUT if i send and say i want them to hand it out in USD dollars my cousin has told me they get mad or get some sort of attitude problem and state "it's better to get pesos than USD" :confused:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you have the option, ALWAYS request the recipient be paid in US Dolllars. Sure they have an attitude, they can't rip the person off.