The Best Car Dealership in Santiago is...

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
I have recently arrived in Santiago and we are looking for a terrific vehicle, preferably a USED 4x4 that seats 7 or 8. Something 5 years old would be good.

I?ve heard all sorts of horror stories of buying here, from the prices to rolling back the mileage and everything in between. What?s the best dealership here in Santiago, where I won?t have to worry as much about being ripped off (I know... dealerships and not being ripped off is an oxymoron).

Thanks for the help and advice!

Jan 9, 2004
I have recently arrived in Santiago and we are looking for a terrific vehicle, preferably a USED 4x4 that seats 7 or 8. Something 5 years old would be good.

I?ve heard all sorts of horror stories of buying here, from the prices to rolling back the mileage and everything in between. What?s the best dealership here in Santiago, where I won?t have to worry as much about being ripped off (I know... dealerships and not being ripped off is an oxymoron).

Thanks for the help and advice!

PCMissionary:

If you do not mind going to San Francisco de Macoris, try Hilario Auto Import. I know the owners personally (three brothers). Check the website, call and ask for Gimbo (G pronounced as a J) he speaks English and more importantly understands customer service and ethical dealings.

PM me for any additional info.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Other posters gave good advice. If its on a used lot the miles have been rolled back. Majority of used cars sold in the DR are hi miles and bought at US auctions. The cars are shipped over, rolled back and cleaned up to look like new. Car fax stops when a car leaves the US but you can still get the report online. When you find the one you want then pay the $35 USD or so and you will get at least some of the cars history. What to avoid is cars that have been in serious wrecks or rebuilt from parts following a wreck. (salvage title). The used car business is the wild west here. Even though it has high miles it can still have some good service left if the previous owner kept up the maintenance. Dominican car owners are notorious for not changing the oil till its time to sell. I have had the best luck buying from gringo owners who are going back.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF he still wants to sell it, a friend of mine and a good fellow has an older SUV, diesel, that has honest odometer numbers...

Let's see if he still wants to sell it..Since everyone else fix the odometer....there is no such thing as "an honest car dealer"

HB

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
IF he still wants to sell it, a friend of mine and a good fellow has an older SUV, diesel, that has honest odometer numbers...

Let's see if he still wants to sell it..Since everyone else fix the odometer....there is no such thing as "an honest car dealer"

HB

Sounds good HB. Please let me know all the details.