turn around time for new US Passport

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
My passport is far from expiring but close to being out of space for stamps. I had already added pages and these are also almost full. I travel a lot so would need to schedule "down time" in DR to take care of getting a replacement. I have done this before but can't for the life of me remember how long it took.

Has anyone done this recently?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When you do renew your US Passport tell them you want the 48 page one. It is the same price, but you have to request it.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Don't know about time involved for additional replacement pages but the "turn around time" for a new passport ( late Nov 2010) was 6 - 8 weeks in Santo Domingo at the US embassy.

*Note It took ten weeks too get it "in hand".

I can't believe the process has gotten any quicker but miracles do happen.
10 weeks is a long time not being able to move around.
Think about your need to travel as they take the passport you are replacing & your left with nuthin.

There is something called the Passport Card (?), it enables you to travel to & from the DR and other points in the Caribbean to the US but I have no idea how long it take to get one or the process of applying - Just a thought.

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The passport card IS NOT VALID FOR AIR TRAVEL!

Santiago renewal took three weeks to get new passport in hand (April 11th, 2012 - May 1st, 2012).

The officials only come to Santiago every other month, passport is delivered via DOMEX.
Second Wednesday of every other month. (June is next)

You need to make an appointment on-line (Make sure it is for Santiago).

NOTE: I hear you can also do it in Puerto Plata, I have no information about when or where.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
ONE MORE TIME. When you get a NEW passport ask for the larger one with 48 pages on it when it is issued..........

RE-READ the OP's post please, he clearly stated his current passport is far from expiring, therefore he needs to fill out form DS-4085 to ADD PAGES! He is not getting a new passport, he is adding pages!

I noticed nobody has answered his question about how long this takes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
RE-READ the OP's post please, he clearly stated his current passport is far from expiring, therefore he needs to fill out form DS-4085 to ADD PAGES! He is not getting a new passport, he is adding pages!

I read it , but I put this in for informative purposes for anyone renewing their passport. I believe it is nice to know that this is available for no cost when renewing your passport.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Tambo, it is you that needs to "RE-READ" the OP's post...............

Unless I am mistaken, you can ONLY add pages "ONE" time.

He has already done this.

I did answer the question as far as "turn-around-time".

THE "OP" STATED -

My passport is far from expiring but close to being out of space for stamps. I had already added pages and these are also almost full. I travel a lot so would need to schedule "down time" in DR to take care of getting a replacement. I have done this before but can't for the life of me remember how long it took.

Has anyone done this recently?

The "TITLE" of the thread is: "turn-around-time-new-us-passport"

He needs a "NEW" Passport as "HE" has stated.

Don - Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What I found out about extra pages, even tho that is not what the OP asked about:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/extra.html

Extra Pages

If your passport's visa pages are becoming full, but your passport is still valid and in good condition, you may apply for additional pages to be added to your passport.

Additional pages can normally be added twice to a passport book before the book must be replaced. Additional pages will not be added to passports which are in a poor condition, damaged or mutilated.

If it is determined that your passport is not suitable for additional pages, you will be required to schedule an appointment and apply for a new passport in person.

Please note: extra pages cannot be added to an emergency passport.