La Roca restaurant Sosua

Mark835

Nov 28, 2005
Hi Everybody

When i was in Sosua early March i noticed that the old La Roca restaurant was undergoing restoration.
Has it now opened as something new and improved?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Everybody

When i was in Sosua early March i noticed that the old La Roca restaurant was undergoing restoration.
Has it now opened as something new and improved?

Still closed and when and if it will open again as a restaurant is anyone's guess.

When John left, the people that ran the restaurant closed for an extended period for remodeling, than opened as a pseudo Argentine steak house. The customers had found other restaurants and after a time the place closed. Without paying the employees their severance pay. Most had quite a bit coming since they had been there quite a while.

The employees made a complaint to the Dept of Labor, which definitely frowns on such practices. Until the ex-employees are paid what is coming to them, the place can't open.

As you said, there has been some remodeling going on, for what reason, I don't know. It seems to be more puttering than serious renovation.

In any case the place is closed as a restaurant and may still be closed on your next visit. There is a For Sale sign on the building.

Should it sell the owners would limited as to what they could. It is designated as an historical building.

La Roca is a good example of a restaurant that was popular because of who was running it.

Mark835

Nov 28, 2005
Thanks Ken

I had a couple of very nice meals there around about 2007 first time i think (once i found the residents menu) nice building with lots of potential but seems doomed to stay just that.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
The buildings roof, rafters and supporting frame work need to be replaced. It's worth what they can put into it to bring it up to snuff.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is a sign on the building saying that La Roca will reopen at 6 pm on Thursday, June 14.

I'm leaving on the 13th for 3 weeks in the US so somebody else will have to report on the reopening.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There is a sign on the building saying that La Roca will reopen at 6 pm on Thursday, June 14.

I'm leaving on the 13th for 3 weeks in the US so somebody else will have to report on the reopening.

Do I have permission to cut and paste Sosua News in your absence?:p

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Apparently there'll be a stem cell research facility upstairs and a kiddies zone downstairs with a drive through cocktail window.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
La Roca and PJs

The newly reopened La Roca is doing well, according to my source of street information. He says that the people who were going to the newly renovated and reopened PJs for breakfast and lunch are now going across the street to La Roca where the prices are lower.

Fighting back, PJ's is advertising 2x1 special for meals purchased between 6-8pm on Wednesday and Friday. That is worth taking advantage of while it lasts.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
La Roca advertises angus beef and I asked if their hamburgers were also angus beef and the waiter said yes.

Needless to say it was dominican beef and I could have had the angus beef burger from Maura mai for the same price but La Roca said they char grill the burger....I won't be back !

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The only question left is which one will close their doors first!

Major changes this week at the Hess Property with some new construction for a roof canopy type design.

Rumba Bar was packed at 7pm tonight and they erected a new sign today so there has been some upgrades in the areas that draw the most tourists to Sosua.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only question left is which one will close their doors first!

Major changes this week at the Hess Property with some new construction for a roof canopy type design.

Rumba Bar was packed at 7pm tonight and they erected a new sign today so there has been some upgrades in the areas that draw the most tourists to Sosua.

Rumba Bar and El Flow are in a price war with the beer. Weekdays a large Presidente is 71 Pesos at each place, and 100 pesos on the weekend. So both are packed, and very little profit for them.