Santiago Warning: Local Time/Space Wormhole

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We were driving on Rafael Vidal a few blocks from JP Duarte and were suddenly compelled to turn right into a parking lot. Minutes later we entered what is obviously the door to a wormhole, because within seconds...we were whisked into a different place and time.

I swear we were in the Home Depot on Fletcher Ave. in Tampa from 6 years ago.

The layout, the overhead signs in Spanish and English, the friendly workers in orange pocket bibs...except for the lack of inventory is was just like going home again. Like a female human in a shopping mall, I just wandered around looking and touching.

We left and returned to the here and now.

Obviously the new Bellon is a near other-world experience.

Seriously, if they can get more "stuff", it'll be cosmic.

Nice job, Bellon!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Windeguy just mentioned that Bellon to me yesterday.

Definitely a place I will be visiting shortly.
I am not sure exactly where it is, but now that you mention Rafael Vidal, I will look for it.

Thanks to you and Windeguy.

Don

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is on the road to Moca, Juan Pablo Duarte, just past the traffic light which is one end of Rafael Vidal (also known as the Calle de los Locos)...the other end of that street is the Duarte Highway.

There is also an entrance on Rafael Vidal.

Who said Spaniards are not progressive? Their place on Bartolom? Col?n burned down, so they built this new and better place...Just goes to show you what 50 years+ of hard work and savvy merchandizing will do for you.

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As SantiagoDR mentioned, I had been to Bellon just a few days ago and had the same feeling of being transported to another place. (Similar to the experience of going into PriceSmart for the first time. ) The new Bellon is very much like a Home Depot.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I mentioned this Bellon a few weeks back in a thread about directions to Ochoa from Cabrera. My take on entering Bellon was like being in a Home Depot in the DR, not a DR version of a Home Depot...

Total game-changer in retailing here...somewhat like IKEA, but more likely to actually effect change...Ochoa will have to step up their game, at least if Bellon decides to open more stores....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I mentioned this Bellon a few weeks back in a thread about directions to Ochoa from Cabrera. My take on entering Bellon was like being in a Home Depot in the DR, not a DR version of a Home Depot...

Total game-changer in retailing here...somewhat like IKEA, but more likely to actually effect change...Ochoa will have to step up their game, at least if Bellon decides to open more stores....
But...

BUT....

And a Big But at that:

What they need is inventory. We went for a few very minor items:

• sponge/foam rubber anythings or gel strips to fabricate some anti-vibration camera mounts
  • HD cable ties
  • small gardening hand shovel/trowel
  • Pots for plants

They had none of these items. None. Nada. They had a whole massive section of hoses, fittings, sprinklers, adapters, spritzers, etc., enough to compete with a HD or Lowes..but no hand gardening tools?

The store is fantastic, but they need to up their inventory a great deal. In that regard, the Ochoa store near the stadium is still, by far, the best ferreteria in Santiago, substance over style.

Oh, and no NASCAR #20 Toyota images or toys:
Joey+Logano+2011+NASCAR+Daytona+Speedweek+RFt678OzYaQl.jpg

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
But...

BUT....

And a Big But at that:

What they need is inventory. We went for a few very minor items:

• sponge/foam rubber anythings or gel strips to fabricate some anti-vibration camera mounts
  • HD cable ties
  • small gardening hand shovel/trowel
  • Pots for plants

They had none of these items. None. Nada. They had a whole massive section of hoses, fittings, sprinklers, adapters, spritzers, etc., enough to compete with a HD or Lowes..but no hand gardening tools?

The store is fantastic, but they need to up their inventory a great deal. In that regard, the Ochoa store near the stadium is still, by far, the best ferreteria in Santiago, substance over style.

Oh, and no NASCAR #20 Toyota images or toys:
Joey+Logano+2011+NASCAR+Daytona+Speedweek+RFt678OzYaQl.jpg

I agree with your big BUT...BUT I didn't have a chance to check out their inventory...I only needed one small item (wood glue) and was in a bit of a hurry....scanned a few sections to get a feel for the store (because I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing), then found the item I was looking for within about 30 seconds of asking for help from an employee, who knew exactly where it was.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Most Dominicans are more interested in price and thus Ochoa will always be the biggest player. The upper class don't seem to care but I don't think they can float Bellon's bottom line. We have ordered construction materials and bathroom items and their delivery was horrendous to say the least - 4 weeks for a couple of items. Ochoa has always been shipped the next day. I expect Bellon to fix their inventory woes if they want to be around.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I usually found better prices at Bellon vs OchoA when the Bellon on Bartolome was open.
For small common items, Pola often beats both places. (For example: Circuit Breakers)

Fotos anyone? Show us of what you speak?

Where's Pichardo when he's really needed?

I may try to get by there tomorrow and take some pictures.

I won't say what "Time", you will have to guess using Pichardo's Shadow Time calculator. ;) lol

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
After visiting the new Bellon I feel excited as a cat dancing on a hot tin roof.

Wow!

How do you spell "Home Depot" in Spanish?

B E L L O N

CB, the place looked fully stocked when I was there today.

97jm03.jpg

2djs31k.jpg

30jh0ue.jpg

351s9as.jpg

2vwbjic.jpg

More pictures to follow, TinyPic just went down for maintenance......