Withdrawing U.S. dollars at the ATM ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Any Banks with ATM machines that give out green U.S. dollars instead of D-R pesos ?

I want to use my U.S. Debit-Card.

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Any Banks with ATM machines that give out green U.S. dollars instead of D-R pesos ?

You can use the bank tellers. I have taken out cash from my US Debit Card and it registers like a normal CC transaction. No big fees just the normal CC tranaction fee. You can do with in pesos and USD depending on which bank and CC you use. I use popular and they don't charge, they ask you the amount and your passport and they bring you the CC authorization receipt to sign just like in any store.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010

You can use your debit card just notify your bank you will be using your card in DR so you will have no problems.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have a U.S. social security Mastercard where my monthly SS monies are deposited...........
You're saying that Popular will give me U.S. dollars in their bank.....didn't know this...good to know..
I was always going to an ATM and getting pesos.....the exchange rate sucks.....
PLUS, social security takes 3% for using out of the U.S. .................

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Not too sure about this. I can use my European Maestro/Mastercard debit-card in every ATM and get pesos. They will not accept it at the teller in the bank to get cash. There they tell me I need a CC for that.

Mind you, I discovered that wiring over the money is by far the cheapest solution. I pay about 10$ for wiring 2,500$ from my Belgian bank to BP here, and it takes between 2 and 3 working days.

BelgianK

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Can you get anything other than $US from an ATM in the USA. Why would you EXPECT to get $US from an ATM in a foreign country?
Not totally true. You can get dollars from ATMs in Panama, Equador and El Salvador as the US dollar is their official currencies.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Mind you, I discovered that wiring over the money is by far the cheapest solution. I pay about 10$ for wiring 2,500$ from my Belgian bank to BP here, and it takes between 2 and 3 working days.

BelgianK

But, how much do you lose by exchanging money?

Feb 7, 2007
Long way back you were able to get USD in ATMs in Argentina as well, for one or two more years after they abandoned 1:1 peg.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Not too sure about this. I can use my European Maestro/Mastercard debit-card in every ATM and get pesos. They will not accept it at the teller in the bank to get cash. There they tell me I need a CC for that.

BelgianK

And by this method do you get U.S. dollars in the Dominican-Republic, or is it automatically converted to D-R pesos ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And by this method do you get U.S. dollars in the Dominican-Republic, or is it automatically converted to D-R pesos ?
If you set up a US dollar account in one of the DR banks, you can wire money from a US dollar account from the US to that account here for certain. As mentioned it takes several days to be available. If you have a bank account outside of the DR in another currency other than US dollars, I am not certain how the wiring of the money will work, but I expect there is a way to have it show up as US dollars (or DR pesos if you have a DR peso account in the DR). I would expect there would be FOREX fees along with the wire transfer costs.