Stormy Season 2012

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no worries,
nothing bad around our lil Paradise Isle that early in the Year, even that the Atlantic already provided the first couple of surprisingly early Invests, specially the extraordinary upcoming one from last early saturday forming SW of the Azores over cold waters of just 19C.

I just thought it is Time that we open a Weather Watch/Storm Watch Topic for the 2012 Hurricane Season, where we can bring in our Observations/Watches/Warnings/Tips for Newbies to the Stormy Caribbean etc.

so as a Start for the Topic I copy here the selfupdating Map of the National Hurricane Center where all upcoming Systems throughout the Season will be shown as Numbers first and if developing to a certain Stage with their Stormname.
the first named Storm this Season will become the name Alberto.

as for the Overall Season's Outlook done by the Colorado Univercity for the whole Atlantic Basin and the Gulf of Mexico as One wide Area, it is expected that 2012 will be a below average Season in case of numbers of forming Storms. such has nothing to say about upcoming Storms for a specific small Region, as for example the Dr or a specific Coastline of the DR, how the weather locally moves we will wait til all started and watch out for what is brewing up and where and which directions it is supposed to move.

look up on Time the numerous Topics here on DR1 which show what is important to have in the House to be prepared in case a Bad Windy will reach Your Area.

good Luck for everybody and stay Safe

Mike

two_atl.gif

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
two_atl.gif

didn't work in the above Post, found my mistake,
so here is the in the first Posting mentioned Map.
tonight/in the morning we will see if it still updates itself automatically every 6hrs,
at least it did so last Year.

Mike

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Thanks Mike !,
looking forward to your knowledge and wisdom for the up coming stormy season.
have a nice night !.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Mike!!! Good to see you are now awake. I asked a guy (Dutchman) to talk to you about the ins and outs of bringing a large (47') boat here. He posts as Cornelis here on DR1...help him if you can....

As for the Hurricane season....well, let's see what happens....And thank you once again for doing this...

Best wishes from up here in the Cibao!

HB

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thanks HB,
last night I saw the posting of Cornelius on the other Topic and answered.
looks like the Pacific has already it's first named Storm of the Season somewhere SW of Mexico.

over here on the East we are dry and calm and Hot Hot Hot, just perfect,
but of course such produces the vaguadas for You Guys up there in the Mountains, saw on the News that you received quiet some floodings of the latest small but wet Vaguada.

Mike

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for starting this thread again...I really do appreciate the info that you post~

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
nothing new stormwise around teh Isle,
but we have a very early Season Tropical Storm off the Coasts of Georga/Soth Carolina, TS Alberto is the first named Storm of the Season.
He is no reason for any fears, he did not form the usual Way, but been a break off forming at the boundary of a Frontal System, so it is no Indicator for a early starting busy Hurricane Season.
he gained the Forces to be named a TS when wandering over a 27Cwarm Current but is already since this morning West of those warm waters and is loosing powers.
a small Storm under high windshear, there should not be any significant or even any damage be received from Alberto up there, the effected areas will appreciate the light rains from Alberto, as they are suffering under a drought period actually.
Steering patterns are very week, but most likely we will see the system moving towards the NorthEast by Tuesday morning/monday night, along the US Eastshores, a Landfall is very unlikely and even if such occures it would not be a dangerous thingy. I expect Alberto to loose Powers from now on constantly due cool waters and high windshear, a weak storm as Him is very vulnerable to those influences.

here on the DR East we are still under the influence of ****ty weather with heavy offshore rains since several Days, rough Sea and strong winds in the mornings and again in the late afternoons, the days pass mostly sunny but mix their clouds and short showers isolated by Areas in the Game.

no stormy danger out there for the Island at this moment, the Season is not expected to start over here any soon.

active Systems/Storms are shown and automatically updated on the Map seen in Post #2 at the beginning of this Topic.

enjoy a Fantastic Sunday everyone

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
jUST SO YOU KNOW HERE ARE THE NAMES OF THIS YEAR'S HURRICANES...ALL THE WAY TO 2017.

Alberto
Beryl
Chris
Debby
Ernesto
Florence
Gordon
Helene
Isaac
Joyce
Kirk
Leslie
Michael
Nadine
Oscar
Patty
Rafael
Sandy
Tony
Valerie
William

Andrea
Barry
Chantal
Dorian
Erin
Fernand
Gabrielle
Humberto
Ingrid
Jerry
Karen
Lorenzo
Melissa
Nestor
Olga
Pablo
Rebekah
Sebastien
Tanya
Van
Wendy

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

Ana
Bill
Claudette
Danny
Erika
Fred
Grace
Henri
Ida
Joaquin
Kate
Larry
Mindy
Nicholas
Odette
Peter
Rose
Sam
Teresa
Victor
Wanda

Alex
Bonnie
Colin
Danielle
Earl
Fiona
Gaston
Hermine
Ian
Julia
Karl
Lisa
Matthew
Nicole
Otto
Paula
Richard
Shary
Tobias
Virginie
Walter

Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Don
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irma
Jose
Katia
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rina
Sean
Tammy
Vince
Whitney

Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms had been named from lists originated by the National Hurricane Center. They are now maintained and updated through a strict procedure by an international committee of the World Meteorological Organization.

The six lists above are used in rotation and re-cycled every six years, i.e., the 2012 list will be used again in 2018. The only time that there is a change in the list is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for reasons of sensitivity. If that occurs, then at an annual meeting by the WMO committee (called primarily to discuss many other issues) the offending name is stricken from the list and another name is selected to replace it. Several names have been retired since the lists were created. Here is more information the history of naming tropical cyclones and retired names.

If a storm forms in the off-season, it will take the next name in the list based on the current calendar date. For example, if a tropical cyclone formed on December 28th, it would take the name from the previous season's list of names. If a storm formed in February, it would be named from the subsequent season's list of names.

In the event that more than twenty-one named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet.

THANK YOU NOAA.GOV

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Invest 94L over the NW'ern Bahamas has quiet the Potential to become a Tropical Depression by late Saturday.
actually moving NNE-wards the Forecast of Steering Patterns will turn it towards the Georgia Coast during Sunday.

nothing present around our own Isle.

Happy Weekend

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just to keep this Topic open, but Hey: there's absolutely NOTHING to report, yet.
the Pacific had it's last one, a Landfall yesterday, but nothing of any effects for Us on the Atlantic Side of Paradise Life.
the actually most danger for a forming would be the Bay of Campeche, but even that is so far away from our Hometurf that the wetaher threat of 2012 for the Isle/PC seems to be a waste of Time.

don't worry,
if we get some $hit to hit da Fan I will talk about it,
but for now the worts thingy of the year been a just ending 12 minutes shower here at my home in cabeza de Toro, before that I did not hit any kinda rain/not even a single drop for so many weeks that i really could not recall when the last drop fall down on my car's windshield.

go on to enjoy a extremely calm Hurricane Season on the Isle, it will not be the same calm again for the next Decade while the Gulf Side/US East Coast,Yucatan Area are by my own Feling the ones who get most of the 2012 Season right on their Doorstep, they already started.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we are still very early into the season and on the quiet side of Islandlife, I expect it to stay so for several more weeks to come.
the 3rd Storm of the Season formed yesterday, Tropical Storm Chris, up there far out in the middle of the Atlantic, He will not be a threat to any Landmass.

a more interesting Formation to watch out for is a Low Pressure System located right South of Cuba, expected to move slowly NWwards in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico and then over to the SE of the US Coast.
development, If Any, will be slow and not increase significantly during the next couple days.
it should bring quiet some strong rainloads over Florida.
If it develops it could push some cloudiness towards the West of Paradise Isle, but it looks like no effects will be taken here on our side of the Caribbean.
the significant Areas which would suggerate/promise a active Season (Central and Eastern Caribbean Sea and specially da "Highway" between the Cape Verde Islands and the Antilles) are completely Calm/Quiet, they show Zero Activity. if it stays that way for the next 2 weeks we can await for the Atlantic Basin/Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico a below average Season in case of Numbers of upcoming Stormies.

nothing significant to watch around our lil Isle.

enjoy da Beaches

Mike

two_atl.gif

Last edited:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Thanks for the update as always Mike....praying for clear skies the next two weeks....sonny boy getting married on da beach!!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Tropical Storm Chris did even for a short Time reach Hurricane Strength Today with 75mphr measure Windies, and that on 41'N, it is very rare that such a strong Storm forms so far North and over the there actually just 22C cold Waters.
he is no threat for any land, just a interesting unique thingy to watch.

Invest 96L North of the Yucatan Peninsula is starting to get some act together, I would not be surprised to see a TD in the NE'ern Gulf of Mexico Sunday afternoon.
doesn't look like it will wander far away during the weekend, more likely it will stay over the warm Waters of the Easter Gulf and gain some Powers, the System contaions quiet heavy rainloads there.

the Central-Western DR looks also quiet "cloudy" on the screens, after the long Heat Weeks we had it is Vaguada weather now, so our West and Southwest has good chances to get the gardens watered, but nothing of any Storm in vicinity.

nothing in sight out of our East, off PC and around Puerto Rico all is quiet and no Movement to be spotted out there on the Highway til the Cape Verde Islands.

Happy Sunny Weekend everyone

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
still nothing Special for the Isle out of the Eastern Side.

we have since a couple Days a Tropical Wave to watch out of the East, til yesterday many Models forecasted it to develop and walk over the Antilles into the Caribbean Sea around July 1st(tomorrow).
it is named Invest 97L and most of it's thunderstorm activity diminished, located today around 500 miles East of the Windward Islands it seems to have no cahnce to develop into something on it's Westward Movement, but you never know and there is anyways nothing else to watch out for at this moment. waters on it's way to the Islands are warm enough for Development, Windshear is in the medium range and forecasted to stay on that level, so nothing quick expected, most likely it will be completely disappeared after the weekend.
looks like we will stick to our hot sunny days with mostly clear skies here on the East, short showers are the exceptions, it will stay Hot Hot Hot, so keep the Beers Cold for the Weekend on da Beach.

Mike

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Hi Mike,

I am living in La Vega. For the past few weeks, we get heavy winds exactly from 12 to 2 PM. Everyday at the same time. Could please let me know what is the reason? It is creating lot of problems for the agriculture.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have no Idea what would create such occurance,
I can personally only eyewatch the weathere where I am, and that's most of the Time on the Eastshores or navegating on the Mona Passage.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
now we had the first pop-up of a Tropical Wave in our Homesoil,
right North of Puerto Rico.
been short whiled and not shown any longer on the Maps, a lil Tropical Wave tried to start to live.

looks like it is gone, but as usual, when something disappears from the Maps to be worth to be watched does not mean it is "Disappeared.
some Isolated Areas on the DR Eastshores may have received short showers this later afternoon as a result, like yesterday the starnge beahviro of Sea Conditions and the Skies promised some "kinda change".
the actual Result will be that we will get Tonight here on the Eastshores a 'fresher' Night's sleep, less humid than the last so many weeks been.
I don't think the Wave will recover and come back to anything, but the next days during the Full Moon I expect/HOPE we will stay on some fresh air for a good night's sleep, we will feel the Breeze to gust up a bit once in a while during daytime, too, the lately extemely calm Sea should run on it's usual average around 4-5ft topping no more than 7ft at the max points, absolutely the Norm on Open Water.
the Highway(Cape Verde to the Antilles) is quiet moistureous/wet in da Atmosphere, some early Season Pop-Ups of smaller/weaker Waves are in Vicinity, but still nothing of conditions to await anything real bad that early into da Season.

Friday ahead the Bite will be on again on full swing after da Full Moon

have a Fantastic Week everyone

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Mike. So different from previous season, huh??? Nothing on the Highway....and we do need the water.

HB