Traveling from Canada to Puerto Plata airport with pet

May 15, 2012
At some point this year I'll be moving from Canada to Sosua and will be flying into the Puerto Plata airport. I will be traveling with my dog, a 77lb greyhound. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about the process (where I pick him up at the airport, If there is a quarantine period, etc?). I spoke with a couple of veterinarians in Sosua while visiting there last week and they couldn't provide a lot of answers.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to be as informed as possible.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If WestJet, the dog flies as checked luggage but not until the fall, maybe Oct 31.

No dogs thru the summer.... check for the embargo preiod w/ your airlines/

Heat restriction , its called.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I seem to recall that you would need to ship as cargo due to the size of the animal as well. I believe the limit is 75lbs and that includes the crate for the animal. Like WW said, definitely check with the airline as all of them have different rules!

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
When we moved here from the east coast of the U.S. there were both limits on maximum and minimum temperatures. We had to plan accordingly. Best to check with your airline and make sure you can plan accordingly. Also, some airlines have embargoes on live animal transportation around certain holiday seasons and they seem to be able to enact them w/o notice and with no grandfathering to exempt animals already ticketed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

There are also certain companies that specialize in shipping large dogs. Check the internet. Coming in to the DR there is not a quarantine period. You need to have your vet fill out the standard travel form showing all the info including rabies vaccinations, etc. There is a 400 peso charge for bringing a dog into the DR. You will pay this at the airport. Good Luck.

LTS

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This will not be considered a 'large' dog at 77lbs + crate...

I have done it numerous times.

In fact, I have never seen a scale - but, I have never been heavy either.

BoBo the Boxer, a frequent flyer, can explain better than I .
Life is good down under, he told me.