So I might be working in the DR, around Cotui, At the Gold Mine

Thesiege

Aug 29, 2011
So I put in for a transfer to the gold mine being built right outside of Cotui. I'd be working 4 weeks at a time, with 1 day off a week and fly home for 3 weeks. I'd move out there but then I would never see my kids. But I do plan on taking vacation here and there to spend some time there. And traveling around Cotui on my 1 day off a week. I am excited, I guess I don't have any questions, just excited, anyone else work out there at the mine or heard anything about it?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
So I put in for a transfer to the gold mine being built right outside of Cotui. I'd be working 4 weeks at a time, with 1 day off a week and fly home for 3 weeks. I'd move out there but then I would never see my kids. But I do plan on taking vacation here and there to spend some time there. And traveling around Cotui on my 1 day off a week. I am excited, I guess I don't have any questions, just excited, anyone else work out there at the mine or heard anything about it?

Congratulations, just be aware that the mine is in the middle of nowhere (literally).

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
I heard the food prepared at the mine is not that great. So better know any local restaurants around Cotui in case you need to take a break from the same food every week. Also keep some perishable food in your office/camp :) just to give you some ideas.

ButteMontana

May 11, 2012
My husband and I just returned from there! He was at the mine, and we also have a friend doing the fly in fly out thing. The mine food is good, the sack lunches are a bit dry when you are used to miracle whip and mayo on everything. But the food is great , they have good housing and a great gym and pool getting refinished.
We are moving over to the DR soon, and can't be more excited. Life is what you make of it, and so is the experience. The mine is a 2.5 hr drive from the north coast and there's plenty of miners living there.
Believe me , we are truly excited and we are also bringing a 16 yr old daughter and she's jacked about the whole thing.
Decide yourself , don't let people that "have heard" , make your decisions

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
Dont worry. I am not trying to help him orvanyone make decision based on what I heard. Just giving suggestions since I only heard that from my husband and friends who in fact work at the mine. Good luck for your moving.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Cotui is about 20 minutes away. While not a large city it has a few decent restaurants, bars, etc...Santiago, La Vega and San Francisco de Macoris are less than an hour away and Santo Domingo a little bit over an hour.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Hey guys does anyone have an email address I could forward my resume to the mining company ? Thanks in advance!

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Welcome to the DR. Come visit us in Maimon when you get a day off. We have a large lake (Haltillo) 15 minutes away and 5 jet skiis. Not to mention 2 Polaris RZR 800s buggies and assorted four wheelers. You can find us a the lake every weekend BBQ'ing. The work is hard, but the weekends are great!

We have about 3 fulltime ex-pats and a bunch on 6/2 rotations. You can find us at the Cascada most nights. BTW, not Barrick Gold.

Cheers!

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I visited Haitillo last summer and please improve the bathroom facilities. I was also asking about the Taino drawings in the caves in the area which I had read about. Did not get any solid information and wondered if anyone has visited the sites and who to contact.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The Bathroom facilities? That's news to me that they exist. It's called the bushes in and around there.

In terms of the caves with Taino drawings there are many around the area from what I understand. They're mostly around the town of Hernando Alonzo and Comedero. My grandmother grew up close to them. She used to tell me stories of going there when she was a kid. Ask around for "La Guacara" as these caves are known to the locals.

The one around Hatillo is called "El hoyo de Sanabe" or "Guacara del Penon de La Sabana" and it's believed to be a "temple" with sacrifices of young kids (12-14 years old) performed there. Supposedly it has some really interesting drawings.

Here's a video of some guy visiting one of them.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l7BEfe-Q0pM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and a photo essay with very cool pictures Taino Caves, the Photo Essay, by Lynne Guitar