Experience with Real Estate Agents in SD?

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
Hi, I am not Dominican, (full fledged Gringo) but my girlfriend is. We've been together for 4 years. We've been living together in Santo Domingo for the last 18 months. After renting from 3 different places during this time, all of which were terrible experiences. We decided it might be worth it to buy a place. The girlfriend would be happy with any space as long as it has enough room for her makeup studio business, so its up to me to find something I would be happy with (and I am a bit more demanding), especially if it involves making a purchasing commitment.

I travel out of the country a lot for work, so I have never felt 'settled in' and therefore don't really have a good social network here to help me out, give me good referrals and contacts like I would back home. I was hoping to find some friendly people here that could guide me in the right direction or give some good advice.

I'd be happy to share more specific info if people are interested.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I can recommend you the real estate agent I used to find me a house after we lived for 2 years in a rented apartment. First I used another one who showed me many many houses, but clearly never listened to our wishes. This one really listened to what we wanted, made sure he had seen the house alone first (if he would not have it for sale himself) before showing it to us an in two cases called us to cancel the appointment while he didn't want us to waste our time. He did find us the house we were looking for, it was silently on the market, no sign, no advertising, but he really went searching beyond the obvious and found it.

His name is Aneudy Tejeda, i'll pm you his phone number

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
Hey JD,

I am open to either or. Anything up to 100,000 USD. I have to catch up on how Dominican real estate, mortgages and interest work here because I am horribly under-qualified to make an informed decision on how to break down the long term costs (I don't know much about US real estate either as I have always rented, never bought).

Thanks

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hi, I am not Dominican, (full fledged Gringo) but my girlfriend is. We've been together for 4 years. We've been living together in Santo Domingo for the last 18 months. After renting from 3 different places during this time, all of which were terrible experiences. We decided it might be worth it to buy a place. The girlfriend would be happy with any space as long as it has enough room for her makeup studio business, so its up to me to find something I would be happy with (and I am a bit more demanding), especially if it involves making a purchasing commitment.

I travel out of the country a lot for work, so I have never felt 'settled in' and therefore don't really have a good social network here to help me out, give me good referrals and contacts like I would back home. I was hoping to find some friendly people here that could guide me in the right direction or give some good advice.

I'd be happy to share more specific info if people are interested.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

John Boyter who is a member and advertiser here on DR1, is an very experienced, honest, gringo realtor located in SD. He has his own agency.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
John Boyter who is a member and advertiser here on DR1, is an very experienced, honest, gringo realtor located in SD. He has his own agency.

I concur on this one. I know John a long time, and he is a straight shooter.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Can somebody give me the mailing direction of John Boyter. Iam looking for a serious realtor to sell my business

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am really appreciative! The high interest rates have definitely made me reconsider buying. I will keep my eyes open for rental apartments too (we really liked the gazcue neighberhood apartments we saw, just need to find something a bit cheaper!). I'll contact the brokers noted here.

Any website recommendations in the meantime that have good range of postings? I've been using mundoanunico.com, aquitucasa.com and supercasas.com with varying degrees of success...

And yes, the girlfriend does have clients coming over, so that does limit us to places that would be OK with her working from home - this hasn't been a problem so far however.

Thanks again!