Pepper spray?

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Is there a place in Sosua where you can purchase pepper spray??, and is it legal?? Wife says that with all the dogs, and human ones, may be a good idea to have. Kinda getting a bit paranoid I think. Reading too much bad news. Told her all I need is my hockey stick.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I believe the Farmacia next to the small Playero has it. But not sure, most Farmacia's carry it. And yes, it is legal.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, it is legal, and you can buy it almost everywhere.

The question is whether you will need it. You do not seem the kind of people who attract trouble or will be roaming the back streets of Sosua at night. Nor have I ever been bothered by a street- or beach dog, unless you call sitting politely next to you whilst eating your meal a threat. Mind you, they know how to beg, they know how to look miserable, and they are so hungry that they will refuse your offering of fries, whilst eying your steak.

BelgianK

potatohead

May 10, 2012
I have never been to DR so I have been stalking this site to learn about it. I plan to be there in November. I also bought the new Lonely Planet guide book. There seem to be lots of posts here concerning crime. From my visits to other countries I am accustomed to pickpockets, hugger muggers, and folks stealing my bicycle. I have only faced armed attacks a few times. A couple times in Columbia and once in Pakistan. I found it very discomfiting. I don't expect to be loitering in dark alleys late at night in Sousa or anywhere else. My shtick is to wander around during the day, visiting the sites and trying to interact with the locals, drinking a few hundred beers. I especialy enjoy sitting in the parks and BSing the locals I encounter there. My Spanish is pretty fluent. I usually end up in bed by 9pm. With that MO do any of the long timers here think I have anything much to fear?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have never been to DR so I have been stalking this site to learn about it. I plan to be there in November. I also bought the new Lonely Planet guide book. There seem to be lots of posts here concerning crime. From my visits to other countries I am accustomed to pickpockets, hugger muggers, and folks stealing my bicycle. I have only faced armed attacks a few times. A couple times in Columbia and once in Pakistan. I found it very discomfiting. I don't expect to be loitering in dark alleys late at night in Sousa or anywhere else. My shtick is to wander around during the day, visiting the sites and trying to interact with the locals, drinking a few hundred beers. I especialy enjoy sitting in the parks and BSing the locals I encounter there. My Spanish is pretty fluent. I usually end up in bed by 9pm. With that MO do any of the long timers here think I have anything much to fear?

alcohol intoxication?

depends on whether you like to wave your money around, and if you end up in bed alone.

BelgianK

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

It sounds as if the DR will be boringly safe compared with what you are "accustomed to" elsewhere!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sosua is very safe and you will have a wonderful time. With a bit of luck you might even be in bed before 9. Sosua is a great town with a safe, fabulous beach and plenty of attractions. We are know as the friendlist town in the Domincan Republic.

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
As you know young seniors - I was just there alone with my two daughters and I never had an experience in which I wish I had pepper spray. I hated to be what I considered "rude", but trying to say no to people in a nice way just doesn't work. That was the worst part of walking arond town.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Mentira

Sosua is very safe and you will have a wonderful time. (...) Sosua is a great town with a safe, fabulous beach and plenty of attractions. We are know as the friendlist town in the Domincan Republic.

:laugh:

donP

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
...My shtick is to wander around during the day, visiting the sites and trying to interact with the locals, drinking a few hundred beers. ... With that MO do any of the long timers here think I have anything much to fear?

The effect of alcohol on your kidneys and liver...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
regarding saying no to people trying to sell you stuff. Learn how to say "I am not a tourist" in Spanish and they will smile and leave you alone. Been doing it for years as I am very gringo looking and get "hello my fren" a lot.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
I was told by my self-defense teacher not to carry anything that could be used against me i.e. stun guns, pepper spray...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was told by my self-defense teacher not to carry anything that could be used against me i.e. stun guns, pepper spray...

Ask your self defense teacher if he would like to have a loaded gun when someone tries to kill him with an axe. See what he says than.

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Ask your self defense teacher if he would like to have a loaded gun when someone tries to kill him with an axe. See what he says than.

Which leads me to ask: What is the legal status for gun ownership in the Dominican Republic?

John M.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Honestly, some of u guys confuse me...

I am from Belgium, I lived in the second biggest town there, Antwerp. I had 3 attempted burglaries in my businesses there.

My parents, in their eighties, live in a very nice, and rich community around Antwerp. They need to have all kinds of high security alarm systems, neighborhoud watches, etc...

Belgium is a first world country, with a no corrupt police force...

So, what do u expect here?

I have traveled the world for my job, and, in the end, it is the same all over the world.

USE COMMON SENSE...

Choose a nice house, which you like, in a "safe" neighborhoud. Does not need to be in a gated community. Get yourself some devoted, but nasty security dogs (we can provide or train them... whoehaaa).

Do not get the Porsche Cayenne as a car, and do not buy ur luxury items (tv, fridge, whatever...) in the local shops. Spend a day looking for them in STI. U will get them cheaper, and u will not attract local ladrones.

Come over here, enjoy ur retirement, but use common sense

My 2 cents worth...

BelgianK

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Which leads me to ask: What is the legal status for gun ownership in the Dominican Republic?

John M.

If you are a citizen or a Permanent Resident you can legally carry a gun here. You need to do a few things to get the license, but it is easily obtainable. But there are restrictions on where you can carry it.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I thought pepper spray was legal too, as it's available to buy here. But just 2 weeks ago I talked to a PN colonel and he said it is illegal to use....said it was only for use by police. Don't know if he's correct, but that's what he and the captain with him said.