Election Practices

latitude19

May 29, 2011
The election is drawing near. I have never been here for an election, as many others. Tell me what to expect, election rituals, best town to be in on the North coast for election excitement and PHOTOGRAPHY. Am guessing Santo Domingo is quite animated- the best city to be in??

Are there large celebrations the day after?? How congested are the roads??

Add your own particular insight.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Stay home and watch TV, it's not carnival! There is a certain possibility that people don't agree with the results of the election. The way you ask it sounds like you are not very experienced so stay out of trouble.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
But, but, ....can you describe a bit the mayhem on Sunday??

Pay attention to the advice of the American Embassy:

"This message is to inform U.S. citizens traveling or residing in the Dominican Republic that Sunday, May 20 is the Presidential Election in the Dominican Republic. U.S. citizens are urged to take prudent precautionary measures and should avoid large gatherings or political demonstrations/rallies, remain near their residences, and monitor the news for updates and information."

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Wow! Do you all think there will be a violent reaction after the election?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wow! Do you all think there will be a violent reaction after the election?
There are frequently heated discussions up to, during and after the election. Best to be in a place far removed from the polling places and/or political rallies.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I really didn't talk to Rosa (Dominican fiancee) before I asked this question. (I'm the OP) She said last time she voted in Esperanza she witnessed someone shooting at another person.

The PLD has been in power for a long time, since 2004. Seems like a lot of the people voting for the PRD, or Hipolito Mejia, are poorer/less educated and fed up with the MONSTROUS corruption of the PLD. I suppose when Hipolito Mejia loses they're going to be quite frustrated. That's probably an understatement. I probably would have been rooting for the PRD had not this dangerous clown been voted in as head.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I hope that's the case, JD, for one because Rosa's going to vote. I almost don't want her to go after she relayed last time she witnessed a shooting. I think Esperanza can get unruly.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
There are certain areas that are "hotter" than others. Often drunkeness and accidents account for the deaths around that time, not outright "political" violence per se.

Regardless of who "wins" the Dominican people will be the big losers. Don't know how I'd react to that inevitability. You don't have much, when you don't even have hope.

Always listen to "su esposo/a", Dominican or otherwise! :D

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I really didn't talk to Rosa (Dominican fiancee) before I asked this question. (I'm the OP) She said last time she voted in Esperanza she witnessed someone shooting at another person. The PLD has been in power for a long time, since 2004. Seems like a lot of the people voting for the PRD, or Hipolito Mejia, are poorer/less educated and fed up with the MONSTROUS corruption of the PLD. I suppose when Hipolito Mejia loses they're going to be quite frustrated. That's probably an understatement. I probably would have been rooting for the PRD had not this dangerous clown been voted in as head.
Indeed, now you understand and I agree with what you stated.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
That is so true. Would not the PRD have had a viable candidate had not the PLD influenced the PRD race??

One candidate is a proven clown and hack. The other will most likely simply monitor the status quo, which works for the elite, but hinders nearly everyone else.

The truly sad thing is that the political corruption is so widespread that a truly honorable, intelligent and achieving president wouldn't work here. One person can't wage war with the rest of his governmnet.

True change I think can only come from the people in mass, but that can normally only come with good education and a good family system. The political elite aren't complaining, and they're not effectively educating. How sad and cruel.

Regardless of who "wins" the Dominican people will be the big losers. Don't know how I'd react to that inevitability. You don't have much, when you don't even have hope.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I really didn't talk to Rosa (Dominican fiancee) before I asked this question. (I'm the OP) She said last time she voted in Esperanza she witnessed someone shooting at another person.

The PLD has been in power for a long time, since 2004. Seems like a lot of the people voting for the PRD, or Hipolito Mejia, are poorer/less educated and fed up with the MONSTROUS corruption of the PLD. I suppose when Hipolito Mejia loses they're going to be quite frustrated. That's probably an understatement. I probably would have been rooting for the PRD had not this dangerous clown been voted in as head.

Those with a good memory remember the even larger corruption of the PRD and the greater KAOS. The world's economy was doing better in 2000-2004 so there was more foreign money in the DR.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Election time in the DR is a very social event. As explained in this story in the DR1 Daily News today, people like to go to vote because they see old faces and meet with people they catch up with every 4 years -- the neighborhood bunch. After the election, people gather to listen to gossip about the election. I am invited to one of these parties. Actually, expect quiet on Saturday and Sunday as people enjoy the respite from all the election noise. But also note that it is a weekend before Mother's Day, so many will take advantage of the time to catch the sales at the big stores.

DR1 Daily News -- 18 May 2012:
Ban on booze wont affect all the election socializing

Stock up on alcohol for drinking on Saturday and Sunday because all day Saturday and until 9pm on Sunday, stores, restaurants/bars are banned from selling liquor. The Central Electoral Board (JCE) reminded Dominicans that Article 109 of the Electoral Law establishes the ban.

Expect friends and family to gather on Sunday evening until late Monday night to await the electoral results. Many a sancocho or barbecue is planned for friends and family to meet to await the first bulletin announced to be before 9pm. The vote closes at 6pm.

Take note that there is an important social component that encourages voters. Every four years, hundreds of voters who travel home to vote will meet up with old neighbors and friends they may not have seen in years. And politics has been so much part of Dominican life for the past months. All finally climaxes on elections day.

The JCE also reminded Dominicans that the electoral law bans the celebration of public shows or meetings of any kind 24 hours before the election. This means there will be no shows this weekend, and Sunday is a national holiday.

Dominicans get a respite from the campaign tonight, Friday 18 May at midnight. There is a ban on political campaigning all day Saturday and on elections day itself, Sunday 20 May.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I'm not familiar with that time, (the corruption) although have heard nothing really good about the PRD during that period. However, when a political party becomes so dominant and powerful as have PLD, and have their food (corruption) chain so firmly entrenched, why would they want to disturb it?? I'm worried that Danilo will only continue with what Fernandez has done as far as corruption goes. The mayor in Cabarete still has a job after riddling 2 cars with bullets!!!!

Would anything ever really change that much when one political party is all powerful?? Think a bit of a shake up is needed occasionally. The PRD at present with Hipolito and infighting doesn't offer the best alternative, but hopefully they'll get their act together for the next election.

Those with a good memory remember the even larger corruption of the PRD and the greater KAOS. The world's economy was doing better in 2000-2004 so there was more foreign money in the DR.