May 18 US Embassy Alert

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This message is to inform U.S. citizens traveling or residing in the Dominican Republic that Sunday, May 20 is the Presidential Election in the Dominican Republic. U.S. citizens are urged to take prudent precautionary measures and should avoid large gatherings or political demonstrations/rallies, remain near their residences, and monitor the news for updates and information. Political campaigning will continue through Friday, May 18. The PRD party will have their final celebratory caravans throughout the 32 provinces.

The selling or consumption of alcohol is prohibited on Election Day.

The Military Electoral Police are responsible for security and access control at all voting polls. The Dominican National Police (DNP) will continue to provide regular police patrols to maintain safety and order throughout the country. The DNP will also have additional patrols and specialized units near locations suspected of possible disturbances for immediate response. Personnel of the DNP and Armed Forces who are not involved in protection and security service will be quarantined in their barracks, offices or work locations until after Election Day.

Dominican citizens are given the opportunity to cast their votes between the hours of 0600 and 1800 (6:00am – 6:00pm). The Junta Central Electoral (Central Electoral Board) intends to publish the results of the election by 2100 hours (9:00pm) on Election Day. It is possible that on Monday, May 21st schools could be closed, transportation unavailable, traffic disrupted and/or roads closed.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This means I should stay inside all day on sunday only?

You don't have to stay inside. But stores will be closed so there won't be much to do. Stay about from any election related activity.

A lot depends on where you live. Some towns and cities are more militant than others. Play it by ear, but err on side of caution. Chances are it will be a very quiet day. I live in Sosua, for example, and don't expect any trouble here.

What happens Monday depends on the results and how they are received. It is supposed to be a work day, and if all goes well, it will be. If there are demonstrations for some reason, then stay close to home, especially if you live in an area where there are protests or demonstrations of some sort. And whatever you do, don't go to them to see what is going on. Spectators are known to have been in the way of stray bullets.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The selling or consumption of alcohol is prohibited on Election Day.

Excellent advice Ken, I concur completely. One thing to strongly note is that while alcoholic beverages are supposed to be shuttered for the day in the multiple elections I've been through I find it is definitely not strongly enforced. The point here is that people who are intoxicated often make stupid mistakes so it's best to keep yourselves close to home Sunday and Monday, IMHO.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I heard now that a friend of me got shot this morning in poll violence. Luckily he is alive. So better be safe and do not take chances.