Santo Domingo vs. Cartagena

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
How does Historic Santo Domingo compare to Cartagena? Does it have the same magical, romantic vibe? Is it a walkable area where one can hit different clubs, restaurants, cafes? How about prices? Quality of music, food, etc?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
How does Historic Santo Domingo compare to Cartagena? Does it have the same magical, romantic vibe? Is it a walkable area where one can hit different clubs, restaurants, cafes? How about prices? Quality of music, food, etc?

Similar but different. I'd say over all CTG has a nicer old city. Better lit, gives a safer vibe, cleaner and less run down.
SDQ has some nice places in the colonial zone. Plaza De Espana, the area around parque colon. Restaurants like Bricciola, Onnos Bar, and the one sin Plaza De Espana. NIghtlife seems to be more spread out, less walking from one place to the next.

In CTG, La Vitrola is nice and has live music but can be hard to get in. Cafe del Mar has a nice view and live music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I live in Santo Domingo and have spent a lot of time in Cartagena, was their in March and for a total of 2 months last year etc.

The colonial zone of Cartagena is much larger, much better preserved and looked after than it's Santo Domingo cousin. Cartagena is alive, lot of events, tourist stuff, much better organized as a destination.

If you have any specific questions,let me know ;)

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
How about in regards to bang for the buck? The last time I was in CTG a year or so ago I was shocked at the prices in restaurants. The prices seemed to have doubled since I had first traveled there about 5 years ago.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Cartagena is expensive and driven by tourism! If you want a great lifestyle in Cartagena, bring your wallet, it's not cheap. When you get out into the "regular" barrios or estratos 3-4 then it becomes cheaper.

Medellin I would say is 30-40% cheaper and is my favorite city in Colombia. It has the climate, infrastructure, utilities and reasonable cost of living.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
Yes, Medellin is very nice. We have been there and liked it. But it lacked the "flavor" of the Coast. My wife being Costena, has a natural dislike for the Cachaco lifestyle. The music and food is different. But maybe she would start to like it after awhile. I am sure it is all based on stereotyping and that in reality there is not that huge of a difference.

How about the prices in Santo Domingo versus Medellin? About the same?

How about the lifestyle and prices of Medellin vs Santiago? They are both inland, higher altitude, and more or less the same population, but other than that I don't know much.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, Medellin is very nice. We have been there and liked it. But it lacked the "flavor" of the Coast. My wife being Costena, has a natural dislike for the Cachaco lifestyle. The music and food is different. But maybe she would start to like it after awhile. I am sure it is all based on stereotyping and that in reality there is not that huge of a difference.

How about the prices in Santo Domingo versus Medellin? About the same?

How about the lifestyle and prices of Medellin vs Santiago? They are both inland, higher altitude, and more or less the same population, but other than that I don't know much.

Medellin is cheaper than Santo Domingo.
Medellin offers a much better lifestyle and standard of living than Santiago in my opinion.