Mattresses in DR

ButteMontana

May 11, 2012
Is there a tempur pedic dealer anywhere there ? Or a mattress close to same (visco foam) We are debating on the shipping container thing. And I want good mattresses in our house.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you have a container--- put that sort of thing in it and ship.... there might be a dealer but better to bring it

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I'd do a scouting trip to determine what can and cannot be easily acquired (or substituted for) in DR, and fill my container accordingly. I'd start with a late model car, and some good electronics and furniture that is comfortable for you. "Lighter" stuff can easily be gotten over there.

Jhettku

Jul 18, 2011
If you have a container, better fill it with what you can't live without. You can find pretty much everything in DR, just with a little higher price. Not sure about tempur pedic. I can ask around. Agree with DRob. Bring furnitures and electronics with you, especially electronics since they are more expensive here. Good luck with the moving.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when we were shopping for a mattress i tried memory foam. i could not last a minute on a bed, it was very, very hot. and the cost for king size was about 2.000 dollars.
i think that when moving to DR one always has to consider some other options. many american/european must-haves do not serve well here (wooden floors, carpets/rugs and so on). one has to be able to go without many things or replace them with local alternatives. i suggest you go to the mattress shop, look around, try different beds and ask for advice.

with furniture you also have to take in mind dominican way of cleaning, that is flooding the floor with water, bleach and mistolin :) cheap wood does not last long. but you could have a hand made furniture made to your specifications, carpenter labour is not very costly and the results may be stunning!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i lived in the UK. to me it will always be labour and colour, that's what i learnt at school :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Learnt is another thing you learned...

Not wrong, just identifiable....

Jolly good...

Glad you didn't comment on the "nocturnal gymnastics" comment:speechles

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
I bought a king tempurpedic on ebay - shipped it to a freight forwarder in NY. 3 more weeks and it was delivered to my house in SDQ - $250 flat fee.

Unless you're using your own container, this is by far the best option.

bigbecks

May 25, 2012
I just purchased a 3 bedroom villa in Sosua. I need it completely furnished. I don't speak spanish and am considering hiring an interior designer to "TurnKey" set it up for $24,000 usd which covers furniture,appliances, sheets decorations.
I will be in DR for the month of July and have a car. Is there a place that I can get this done for considerably less? I saw your post on Artesania Rattan but I can't find a websight for them.
If anyone could email me any links to stores that might be in English that would really help. Thanks for any knowledge you can provide.

With gratitude.

Jan 17, 2009
I bought a king tempurpedic on ebay - shipped it to a freight forwarder in NY. 3 more weeks and it was delivered to my house in SDQ - $250 flat fee.

Unless you're using your own container, this is by far the best option.

Could you share which freight forwarding company you used?