Resident gringo looking for info to obtain dominican passport?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Living here in dr for years as a resident and am looking to have a Dominican passport as second passport Has anyone here in the forum done this ?I am originally from Canada. ...maybe legal is a better forum?? Thanks in advance

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
In order to obtain a Dominican passport you need to be a Dominican citizen, not just a resident. A different process. If your cedula says "no vota" on it you are not eligable for a passport.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Living here in dr for years as a resident and am looking to have a Dominican passport as second passport Has anyone here in the forum done this ?I am originally from Canada. ...maybe legal is a better forum?? Thanks in advance

Wouldn't you have to give up your Canadian passport then? Sorry for asking but what benefits would a Dominican passport give you?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
You dont have to give up the Canadian passport. Thats another one of those USA requests I believe.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You dont have to give up the Canadian passport. Thats another one of those USA requests I believe.

Not true about having to give up a USA passport. It is very hard to give up US citizenship and requires pro active steps on a US citizens part to do that

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's more a European thing to request give up your original nationality if you acquire another one. I know Holland does require it, unless you are married to a Dominican.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Not true about having to give up a USA passport. It is very hard to give up US citizenship and requires pro active steps on a US citizens part to do that

Not so complicated,
They, the U. S. embassy / state dept. has a simple form, fill it out turn it in and you are out..........

Probably created in response to the tantrums Americans seem to throw when they do no get the service or results they expect from the US counsel / embassy / state dept.

They are and always be my heros,

G'luck,

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's more a European thing to request give up your original nationality if you acquire another one. I know Holland does require it, unless you are married to a Dominican.

I have duel citizenship and I was born in a European country so I guess not all of them. ;)

Anyway to answer the OP yes as a Canadian you can have duel citizenship but as someone mentioned above you need to become a Dominican citizen to aquire a Dominican passport.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
No Canada and dr accept double status
JUST ONE ADVANTAGE IF YOU EVER LOST ONE WHILE TRAVELLING YOU WOULD HAVE ASECOND ....BIG PROBLEM SOLVED WHEN HAVING AN ALTERNATIVE , ALSO VISA FREE TRAVEL TO OTHER COUNTRIES THAT CANADIAN PASSPORT MAY HAVE TOHAVE ALSO....there are quite afew benefits other than thes too !

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks Anna ,yes I think it's a matter of having a lawyer help with the paperwork ,and was just hoping that someone had done this being a permanent resident ,and maybe could direct me to a decent one , that can do it without the drama and expense that sometimes occurs ,when we don't get good references.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no offence but normally when we see a citizen of a civilized country asking about a dominican passport we think illegal business: either wanting a clean slate or running away from taxes/payments.
there are plenty of posters who've been here for years, does anyone have a dominican passport? i doubt it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
no offence but normally when we see a citizen of a civilized country asking about a dominican passport we think illegal business: either wanting a clean slate or running away from taxes/payments.
there are plenty of posters who've been here for years, does anyone have a dominican passport? i doubt it.

I have had one for 9 years.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States

I am considering applying for dual citizen ship and passports after I get married in the coming year and i have nothing to run away from... not everyone’s intentions are always bad.</SPAN>

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok then, maybe i just do not understand. i have been here 6 years, married for some time and cannot even be bothered to register my marriage in poland, let alone spend money, time and effort on obtaining useless passport.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
ok then, maybe i just do not understand. i have been here 6 years, married for some time and cannot even be bothered to register my marriage in poland, let alone spend money, time and effort on obtaining useless passport.

Maybe it is useless to you, but for my business it saved me a ton of money and needless aggravation. If you are just sitting around the house, I guess you are correct. But for doing business here and other things it is priceless.