Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Resident gringo looking for info to obtain dominican passport?

Living here in dr for years as a resident and am looking to have a Dominican passport as second passport Has anyone here in the forum done this ?I am originally from Canada. ...maybe legal is a better forum?? Thanks in advance

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In order to obtain a Dominican passport you need to be a Dominican citizen, not just a resident. A different process. If your cedula says "no vota" on it you are not eligable for a passport.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arrugala View Post
    Living here in dr for years as a resident and am looking to have a Dominican passport as second passport Has anyone here in the forum done this ?I am originally from Canada. ...maybe legal is a better forum?? Thanks in advance
    Wouldn't you have to give up your Canadian passport then? Sorry for asking but what benefits would a Dominican passport give you?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You dont have to give up the Canadian passport. Thats another one of those USA requests I believe.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    You dont have to give up the Canadian passport. Thats another one of those USA requests I believe.
    You can have dual US/RD passports as well as dual Canadian/RD.

6. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    Not true about having to give up a USA passport. It is very hard to give up US citizenship and requires pro active steps on a US citizens part to do that

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's more a European thing to request give up your original nationality if you acquire another one. I know Holland does require it, unless you are married to a Dominican.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Not true about having to give up a USA passport. It is very hard to give up US citizenship and requires pro active steps on a US citizens part to do that
    Not so complicated,
    They, the U. S. embassy / state dept. has a simple form, fill it out turn it in and you are out..........

Probably created in response to the tantrums Americans seem to throw when they do no get the service or results they expect from the US counsel / embassy / state dept.

They are and always be my heros,

G'luck,

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    It's more a European thing to request give up your original nationality if you acquire another one. I know Holland does require it, unless you are married to a Dominican.
    I have duel citizenship and I was born in a European country so I guess not all of them.

Anyway to answer the OP yes as a Canadian you can have duel citizenship but as someone mentioned above you need to become a Dominican citizen to aquire a Dominican passport.

11. Likes arrugala liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

No Canada and dr accept double status
    JUST ONE ADVANTAGE IF YOU EVER LOST ONE WHILE TRAVELLING YOU WOULD HAVE ASECOND ....BIG PROBLEM SOLVED WHEN HAVING AN ALTERNATIVE , ALSO VISA FREE TRAVEL TO OTHER COUNTRIES THAT CANADIAN PASSPORT MAY HAVE TOHAVE ALSO....there are quite afew benefits other than thes too !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast