Flight Prices to POP

May 17, 2011
Can someone explain to me what is going on here? I used to be able to fly from EWR to POP for around 400-500 US dollars. I am looking to come the first week in march and I am seeing prices around 850.00. Thats a lot of money. I will not pay that to come to DR. Do I need to wait until the spring/summer travel season is over and maybe the prices will go down if I book after labor day?

Just for the heck of it I checked expeida and they have flights on AA connecting in MIA for 525 from JFK. I would perfer to fly from Newark if I can help it, but that is a big price difference.

I was there this past year from new years and did not pay that much. This is a shocker. I even looked into flying into SDQ which is normally cheaper and it's still in the 850.00 range from EWR.

Is March an expensive time to go DR in general? Do I need to look at alternative dates?

Also how will the weather be in march? I want to spend a good amount of time on sousa beach. When I in DR for new years it was very windy and cool. Wasn't really beach weather.

edluv1

May 25, 2010
I usualy fly into Santiago from JFK then take a taxi to the metro bus then hop on the bus to pto plata or sosua. Much cheaper
flight from JFK to Santiago $325 to $450. Taxi to bus station about 700RD. Metro bus to pto plata 200RD or less

May 17, 2011
@ Bigbird yes that is March of next year 2013.

I will consider the JFK to STI flight and then the public transporation to POP or Sousa

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

I will consider the JFK to STI flight and then the public transporation to POP or Sousa

OK, since it is March 2013 just hold off until the beginning of the year to purchase your ticket. Just after Labor Day you should start searching for prices and when one of those one day United Airlines specials (EWR-POP) become available go for it.

The only time you will have to pay $700 or more to rep dom is from mid-June to just after Labor Day.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
It's a hassle but you might try connecting thru FLL or MIA. There is a cheap train (Tri rail) that runs between the airports. So you might find a good fare to Florida thru one airport and on to POP thru the other.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

I just dont get why people even consider STI or SDQ or if they gonna stay on the North Coast.... so if the flight is 3-400 USD cheaper... taxis and buses costs and how much is more time in Paradise worth? Also when you think about Santiago... times for arrival/departure are usually horrible... I see Delta from JFK is now 299 round trip.... but then
JFK 9:10p → STI 1:08a
STI 2:10a → JFK 6:00a

I would rather pay 1000 to POP than 299 to STI if I were going to stay on the North coast... my 2 cents

Last edited:

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Can someone explain to me what is going on here? I used to be able to fly from EWR to POP for around 400-500 US dollars. I am looking to come the first week in march and I am seeing prices around 850.00. Thats a lot of money. I will not pay that to come to DR. Do I need to wait until the spring/summer travel season is over and maybe the prices will go down if I book after labor day?.............

If you really are planning a trip in that far ahead for March 2013, I'm assumming you can also then be a little flexible with what days you travel on. Right now on the United website (they merged with Continental) you can fly non-stop round trip from Newark to Puerto Plata on any Tuesday or Wed in March 2013 for $551 total. Not cheap, but still far less than the $850 you quoted above.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Always, the mid-week flights are less...

+/- $500 is about the best you can expect.... EWR - RD, take your pick of the airports... STI excluded

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its bad everywhere........

I looked at WestJet last week for July from YYZ (Toronto) ..... ~$429 going down and ~$230 coming back.

The $230 part is good but I HATE the $429......

Should be about $500 r/t - old prices.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I would wait to book until January, the prices will flex between now and then ALOT. i paid $383 (on Delta) for my flight this march from JFK to SDQ, Santiago was the same price. We have a car there so we don?t have to worry about public transportation or taxis but Puerto Plata is an easy drive from Santiago...</SPAN>

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I went on a web site that compares pricing and found a flight on A/A, round trip to POP at $424.50, total price including tax. This was March 8, 2013 returning a week later. March is an expensive month to fly, but not as expensive as Feb or April. In March you are between the Presidents Holiday week and in April obviously Easter. The weather in March is usually some of the best all year with temperatures ranging between 70F at night and 84F during the day. It is a toss up whether you will get rain but March generally is just about perfect. Good luck.

LTS

May 17, 2011
It seems the prices from EWR to POP are cheaper mid week. Now that I remember I was there last year in September and did fly out and return on a wednesday. I am going to hold out a bit and see if the prices for the dates I want come down after the summer travel season is over when the kids go back to school. I'm not sure if it matters. I want to be in DR for my birthday which is 3/7 and would like to stay around a week. However I wanted to arrive a few days before which is why I was looking at 3/1 or 3/2 and coming back on 3/10. If I have to go out of JFK to get the dates I want at a reasonable price I will, but my preference is to fly from EWR. I really do not want to fly into STI or SDQ after thinking about it I don't think it's worth the time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Get the united credit card -- 20,000 points on signing and build points --no blackout dates.

The United (former CO) Is the best plan going

juant

May 9, 2012
Can someone explain to me what is going on here? I used to be able to fly from EWR to POP for around 400-500 US dollars. I am looking to come the first week in march and I am seeing prices around 850.00. Thats a lot of money. I will not pay that to come to DR. Do I need to wait until the spring/summer travel season is over and maybe the prices will go down if I book after labor day?

Just for the heck of it I checked expeida and they have flights on AA connecting in MIA for 525 from JFK. I would perfer to fly from Newark if I can help it, but that is a big price difference.

I was there this past year from new years and did not pay that much. This is a shocker. I even looked into flying into SDQ which is normally cheaper and it's still in the 850.00 range from EWR.

Is March an expensive time to go DR in general? Do I need to look at alternative dates?

Also how will the weather be in march? I want to spend a good amount of time on sousa beach. When I in DR for new years it was very windy and cool. Wasn't really beach weather.
I just caught a one day sale from Jet Blue from NY to POP for $470 roundtrip. Your best bet is to either wait for a sale or to take a flight into Santiago and from there catch a taxi or a Metro bus/Caribe tours bus to POP. The airfare will not go down until another sale.

May 17, 2011
actually is the first week of march when carinval is? Could that be why the prices may be a little higher for that week? I may want to avoid that week if thats when carnival is due to the price and other reasons.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
actually is the first week of march when carinval is? Could that be why the prices may be a little higher for that week? I may want to avoid that week if thats when carnival is due to the price and other reasons.
I doubt Carnaval has a thing to do with it as Carnaval is over the first week of March in Puerto Plata. You aren't going until March 2013 so you have plenty of time to wait. Sign up for FareWatcher and they will send you an email when the price drops. With Continental/United sometimes they have sales that only last 24 hours so you have to be ready. I wouldn't even consider buying a ticket until a week or so after Labor Day.