boat question, cost of conduce

dom

Jun 1, 2011
i have a small boat, 19ft on a trailer, that i like to take home once im done using it.

i know that the despacho, is free

but what is the cost for a conduce, as i was charged 500 rd last time i left the marina, this is usually one way, which means 1000 peso for 1 weekend just to tow the boat around, thats more then 100 us a month just for a permit to tow my boat, is that possible???

no wonder the dominican republic is never going to set off as a boating destination !!!

dom

Jun 1, 2011
there are 2 things u need to move around with a boat

the despacho, which is the permit to leave port, no matter where you go, you always need a despacho, which i understand because of all the illegal voyages to puerto rico and all the drugtrade.

then second is a conduce, the permit to transport your boat on the street, from a to b, if you want to go to b to a you need another conduce, im getting tired of getting ripped off, make this plus the cost of marina, fuel, fuel for the truck etc. its unpayable for any normal person.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I had a small 18ft boat which I towed around on a trailer. I got the registration document and a permit from the Navy headquarters in POP. I just copied them and laminated the copies and kept them in the boat. I would tow it around the North Coast and not once was I stopped and asked for any papers.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
thats how i used to do it to, but it is in fact illegal, and if you happen to run into some marina de guerra guy, it will cost big time, so i was just trying to avoid this and do it the right way.

but i do not tolerate to be ripped off by these guys, if the law is soridiculous then just do your job, give me the damn paper, but dont try to rip me off while doing it.

i just want to know if they are actually entiteled to charge me for it, if they do i have no problem in doing so, but im not willing to give money to some clown, because im the stupid gringo with a boat.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
dom is correct,
to drive a boat of any size around requires the "conduce" permit.
I never paid attention to any specific cost for such, when I drive around one of our small Boats, I do that quiet often with my 2 Zodiacs, I just call the Commander of the Marina Station by phone and let him know that I will tow a Zodiac on a Trailer from e.g. Cap Cana Marina to my Homebeach in Cabeza de Toro, He fills in the Papers for that Ride and keeps it in His Desk, so in case I would get stopped I would put the Checkpoint Guys on the Phone with Him.
without the Conduce Paper a Checkpoint of M2, J2, G2 has simply the Right to confiscate your Boat and Trailer, to get it back will be a long and Harmful way, of course costy, too.
I never paid any Fee for the Paper, but there may be a fix Fee, possible.

but Hey,
500 Pesos, that's around $12.-US, where in the World 12 bucks would be considered a Ripp Off for a legal official document? Boating is sure not something for someone on a Budget.

at which Marina Base are you with your Boat?

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
of course you are right, it is about a "principe",
but papers are never for free anywhere, and 500 pesos for a Boat Document is considered very cheap compared to the so many costs around Boats including the different Papers and documents needed for Boats throughout the year.

where are you based/living?
if you are in my Area I may be able to give some help on the "Fees"

btw,
happy Mothers Day to all our Mommy Bordmembers

Mike