Meeting the future Mrs. Potatohead

Status
Not open for further replies.

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Prayerfully I will meet the woman of my dreams on my trip to DR this year. I have never been but have read that there are many DR ladies that would happily hook up with a yank in matrimony or otherwise. Well, I am said yank and I have the urge to merge. i e I have lived alone for many years and would enjoy a loved one to share my golden years. The fly in the ointment comes from my reading that roughly states the ladies that are actively seeking this union are nocturnal and I am diurnal. My question to those well versed in the birds and the bees would be: Where would one such as I, meet someone such as she?
For one thing, I don't like sitting around bars during the day and don't think the woman of my dreams would either. I like snorkeling, swimming, hiking ect......those tend to be solitary activities. Am I doomed to spend my final days crying myself to sleep in lonely solitude? Or will some kind soul offer up sound advice to relieve my pernicious proclivities of painful perpetual privacy?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip would say to look in the church but i cannot fanthom there are many christian snorkeling associacions ;)
so i am going to say you should give yourself time. befriend dominicans and gringos alike, go on organized trips, take invitations to parties and weddings. volunteer in whatever group takes your fancy: with animals, kids, old folks. this will give you plenty od opportunities to meet new people.
i wish you good luck :) i hope there is someone waiting for you too. be positive above all :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll tell you what I told another person on this person: You are in a tunnel and that light you see at the end is a TRAIN!!!

What you are about to do has fleeced thousands of nice guys over the years. A new one every day and maybe every hour.

Listen to the advice and I will come back and give you my ideas...

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Prayerfully I will meet the woman of my dreams on my trip to DR this year. I have never been but have read that there are many DR ladies that would happily hook up with a yank in matrimony or otherwise. Well, I am said yank and I have the urge to merge. i e I have lived alone for many years and would enjoy a loved one to share my golden years. The fly in the ointment comes from my reading that roughly states the ladies that are actively seeking this union are nocturnal and I am diurnal. My question to those well versed in the birds and the bees would be: Where would one such as I, meet someone such as she?
For one thing, I don't like sitting around bars during the day and don't think the woman of my dreams would either. I like snorkeling, swimming, hiking ect......those tend to be solitary activities. Am I doomed to spend my final days crying myself to sleep in lonely solitude? Or will some kind soul offer up sound advice to relieve my pernicious proclivities of painful perpetual privacy?

Walk around with a US$100 billon your forehead, you'll do just fine :)

Seriously....

I suggest you spend some time on web sites like Badoo, Tagged, Facebook etc getting to know a few of your future ex-wives. At least you can screen them and cut out some of the BS before you arrive. Failing that, your setting yourself up for a lot of pain and grief, especially as you have never been here and I'm assuming clueless about the culture and how things "really" work here.

Good luck!

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010

Just for starters .....

Do not rush into anything. Do NOT get into ANY "relationship" for at least a year "in country".

Do not live or hang out in the tourist areas (nor in very poor areas).

Do be able to hold a conversation and conduct day-to-day affairs (fully) in Spanish. (Very important!)

Read read read the stories in the "Mars/Venus" section of this site to know what to watch out for. (And don't think it can't happen to you!) Did I say read the M/V section?

Make friendships (genuine) with some Dominicans. Some may help you with your "vetting" of candidates when you get ready. They might even introduce you.

Talk with gringos who have happy and "successful" marriages ... find out what they did. (Do this in country so you can see how their relationship is really going.)

Don't just run after some "eye candy". Make sure there is more there. (And there definitely will be, if you find the right one!!!)

Until you see and know what you want (and what's really good for you) .... Rent, don't buy (however you want to interpret that).

Good luck. (It just might work out for you.)

:cool:

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009

Talk to them anywhere. In a colmado, store, restaurant, church, public taxi, bus, on the street or anywhere. The culture is different and more social. Ask male friends if they have any available friends or family who are women. Look online in various dating sites dominicansweety,com, latin affairs, teamo.com and hundreds others, the beach, look in local newspapers at classified ads or just go on a walk and if you see women sitting at a colmado, sit down and talk to them. You can even pay someone if they find you the right woman, ask a taxi driver where the ladies are and if they know anyone. Buy them a drink or soda or something in a public location for any woman who is alone. I know from experience, the chances of getting a date or anything skyrocket when you arrive. Most people do not need the internet or anything. All you need to do is be there. You can be 18 to 80 and find someone 50 times easier and quicker than in the USA. Just stay aware from prostitutes or anything like that because they have been known to rob people and they are pure business and do not under any circumstances play sugar man and pay people's bills for them because that is a scam. If I were you, I would just get to work if you are there and remember that it is 50 times easier than in the USA to find someone no matter how you look.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
ONce you find dates.....look at how much education, money, what economic class they are in, if they need you to pay for everything, what religion they are, how their family is. Treat it the same as it is in the USA when you date. Do not get trapped into a ghetto one that just wants a free ride or a meal ticket. Find someone special, and put how special they are and what economic class they are in as more important than how they look.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
^^ just to add to the above, just because someone is 'poor' doesn't mean they're trashy. There are lots of ladies in this country that would make great wives - honest, hard working, etc, but just happen to be poor.

To put it in Dominican terms, just because chopa's are 'poor', doesn't mean poor women are all chopas. There are a lot of 'educated' (ie. not at university but good manners etc) women who are poor. It's just the nature of this place. In fact, you will find the hard working poor women to be more honest than the 'high class' snotty women...

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
^^ just to add to the above, just because someone is 'poor' doesn't mean they're trashy. There are lots of ladies in this country that would make great wives - honest, hard working, etc, but just happen to be poor.

To put it in Dominican terms, just because chopa's are 'poor', doesn't mean poor women are all chopas. There are a lot of 'educated' (ie. not at university but good manners etc) women who are poor. It's just the nature of this place. In fact, you will find the hard working poor women to be more honest than the 'high class' snotty women...

I agree. He is right. EVery woman is different. Just enjoy because many guys would love to be in a tropical paradise full of hot latina women in the caribbean who are much easier to get than in the usa. Many guys would love to fill your shoes, just follow my advice and Randall Bell's advice and get to work and enjoy. There are years of experience and long days in your position thinking that went into that advice and lots of positive results :).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If a gringo wants to find a decent Dominican girl he needs to leave the tourist areas and stay away from gringos in general unless he is a member of a local church.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010

Good point. Agreed. And you are describing "working class" or "lower middle class", not "very poor". He may know the difference after some time in country. ("Very poor" could bring it's own set of problems ....)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First thing to do is look in the mirror and ask questions about the man looking back at you. Do you dress well and take care of yourself? Are you educated, polite, and considerate...etc. If not don't expect to find it in a woman. I would look for someone with no more than ten years age difference ( if you are truly looking for love). Then I might ask myself - why Dominican women? I'm married to one who lights up the sky for me, but the world is a big place with lots of wonderful women and I wouldn't limit myself to the DR. Costa Rica, Colombia, Philippines...etc all have wonderful women. Guadalajara Mexico has hundreds of thousands of beautiful women, of all colours, sizes, ages...etc.
What is your age range?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
chip would say to look in the church but i cannot fanthom there are many christian snorkeling associacions ;)

dv, dv dv... please.

While it's true Dominican women generally don't like to be out in the sun we have plenty of Dominicans at the Catholic Church where I go that do all sorts of fun activities. Granted, these are churches in affluent areas. :)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
If a gringo wants to find a decent Dominican girl he needs to leave the tourist areas and stay away from gringos in general unless he is a member of a local church.

Since the OP started this thread with the words "Prayerfully", that may also be good advice. He "might" make some friends at a local church, and "possibly" get references/introductions to the one that he he is looking for. Just another avenue to explore. As long as he doesn't rush into anything before he knows what's going on.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Sosua!

May 12, 2005
MsPotatoHead1.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Am I doomed to spend my final days crying myself to sleep in lonely solitude? Or will some kind soul offer up sound advice to relieve my pernicious proclivities of painful perpetual privacy?

No decent woman would ever put up with a man that used that many P words in a sentence.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
While it's true Dominican women generally don't like to be out in the sun we have plenty of Dominicans at the Catholic Church where I go that do all sorts of fun activities. Granted, these are churches in affluent areas. :)

but chip, the OP may not be religious at all :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No decent woman would ever put up with a man that used that many P words in a sentence.

here's an alliteration fan. may be a great match for a solitary and sad yed sedductive seclude seeking a sweet soulmate:
Twitter
good christian girl too. what a shame she is married already!

Status
Not open for further replies.