Looking to Buy Rottie Puppy

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hi All

Looking to buy a well bred puppy for home protection in the Maimon (Bonao) area. All help appreciated.
Thanks
Eric

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Thank you. Buck is no longer suitable as a guard dog, as following his shooting he has too many problems, but I have reason to believe he was a very loyal guard dog in the past. Rotties are superb dogs, and with proper training are a force to be reckoned with, but they have a bad reputation with chickens! Now, I expect I will have lots of people telling me that is not true!!! Remember that whatever the breed, your relationship with your dog is paramount as is his training. Make sure you deserve him and the protection he gives you for the duration of his life! If you can't do that for whatever reason, better to get yourself an electronic alarm system!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
1. I am the first to say that it is a fabel that Rottweilers are notorious chicken killers. I can name you a dozen other breeds who will go after chickens instinctively but with a Rottweiler it is learned behavior or neglicence of the owner.

2. Indeed, the relationship with your dog or dogs is imperative and goes beyond the training as such. A lot of people here in the DR don't grasp that idea, Dominicans and ex-pats.

3. Although I have a few security dogs and alarm dogs, there is room in my pack for dogs just for company. They are equal to my other dogs, equally loved and cared for. In my experience a very playful dog in a pack resolves tensions between the 'working' dogs.

What Buck is concerned, he should go to some one who can take him for walks and give him lots of love and tender care. Forget the security, he has been traumatized and at his age that will never go away.

Acira

OLB

Apr 15, 2012
Hi Eric,
Would you consider a Bull Mastiff puppy?
Could send you pictures and bring the puppy from the capital to show you.
I live 1 week a month in Maimon, flying in this Saturday.
Regards, Lawrence

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Domestic dogs or breeds do not have any natural instincts anymore, a domestic dogs instincts are trained. Any dog will run after chickens if they feel the need or want to play/eat them, there is no instinct breed specific in it. Exactly the same as a certain domestic breed are better instinctively guard dog types, they aren't instinctively, just some are better built for it than others, imo.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Domestic dogs or breeds do not have any natural instincts anymore, a domestic dogs instincts are trained. Any dog will run after chickens if they feel the need or want to play/eat them, there is no instinct breed specific in it. Exactly the same as a certain domestic breed are better instinctively guard dog types, they aren't instinctively, just some are better built for it than others, imo.

Come and watch my Australian Shepherds then. No training whatsoever but if they get the chance, they will herd cows like true aussies, biting heels and noses where necessary if a cow or bull decides not to listen to them.
My best dog for Distance in Dogfrisbee was a labrador. Why? Because he is a retriever, no learned behavior for him, he retrieved anything, only thing we had to train was retrieving the disc when still in the air.
At his top he was way better in Distance then my Malinois, despite the fact that my Malinois is much faster then my Labrador. He catched and brought it back immediately, where the Malinois catches and had the prey and had no hurry to come back with it.
I have a friend who has Patterdale Terriers and they chase and kill chickens and cats at the age of 8 weeks if they can. Natural born killer hunters.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004

Some breeds suffer from this more than others. And some lines within breeds are worse than others esp. those breeders that breed for "form" over "function" Show dog lines are not always "field tested" to see if they retain the instincts to do the job that the breed was selectively bred for over the ages. How many show standard poodles are also used in bird hunting still?

It isn't just in dogs - look at the travesty of the AQHA allowing HYPP positive horses to be shown in halter classes.

Some selective breeding is done for function and those dogs still have very strong instincts and some breeding is done to fulfill a messed up human idea of beauty and those dogs have quite often lost a bit of their breed drive so to speak.

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My Rottie loves chichen... A rooster got into her large kennel once and she chased him around until he was too tired to move then proceeded to give him a thorough licking. The poor thing, when I finally arrived and found him he was so wet and tired he couldn't stand alone lol She didn't hurt him though!!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
There was a lady going to breed her beautiful presa Canaro on here can not find the thread. People have misconceptions about lots of dogs take the pitbull very good loyal people person dog but ver misunderstood and a victim of bad ownership and even worse the way the press demonise the Pitbull as the did German shepards ,Rotties and Dobermans in years past.
The Bull Mastiff puppy how old is it does it have papers they are great dogs as well!

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I would like to thank everyone for the leads. Interesting discussion also.

Eric

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Domestic dogs or breeds do not have any natural instincts anymore, a domestic dogs instincts are trained.

Nonsense.

Through thousands of years dogs have become man's best friends and guard "their" family.
Our GSD were never trained to be guard or security dogs, yet have a natural instinct to warn us when strangers or unusual sounds are near.
Training can take advantage of instincts or suppress them, certain breeds are better for that than others.

GSD are very intelligent dogs, but command a lot attention to develop their skills.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed Don, we rescued ( literally rescued from death on a beach, she was starving after being abandoned) a Doberman and brought her back to health.

She fit in well to the property.

A few weeks later we brought a worker in to prepare the vegetable garden.
We all stood there showing where, etc while the work started.

The stranger picked up his pick and swung it into the ground.
That dog went straight at him - protecting us.
Even when our own man, the dog's keeper/feeder, etc swung the pick that dog growled in uncertainty.

We calmed the dog down.... she just came back to us, sat between us and looked at everybody as if saying
" OK, everybody understand the rules here?"

This dog had not a bit of training that i know of... just good instincts.

After all, she allowed the workman onto the property.
It wasn't until he made a perceived threat that she reacted.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When I lived in Prescott Arizona I owned 3 Rotties and they were as well behaved as any dogs could be.
The male was about 150 lbs and the 2 females were about 90-100.
They loved Burger King hamburgers and once a week I would get 2 dozen and they would feast.
One on the females didn't like the pickle and she would push the top bun off and push the pickle off the sandwich....
Besides eating me out of house and home these dogs were better companions than my x-wife...........
And I miss them more........

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
When I lived in Prescott Arizona I owned 3 Rotties and they were as well behaved as any dogs could be.
The male was about 150 lbs and the 2 females were about 90-100.
They loved Burger King hamburgers and once a week I would get 2 dozen and they would feast.
One on the females didn't like the pickle and she would push the top bun off and push the pickle off the sandwich....
Besides eating me out of house and home these dogs were better companions than my x-wife...........
And I miss them more........

B in Santiago

You should have taken them through the drive-thru. I am sure you would have gotten a better price... lol

BelgianK

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You should have taken them through the drive-thru. I am sure you would have gotten a better price... lol

BelgianK

I owned a corvette, can you picture all 3 of them in the front passenger seat with a seat belt.........lol

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I owned a corvette, can you picture all 3 of them in the front passenger seat with a seat belt.........lol

B in Santiago

I think the 150 lbs male alone would have done the trick... but I see your problem...

Saliva on the dash and passenger seat, and this in the hope his butt was not too big for those nice bucket seats... lol

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have two rotties. only one of them was ever driven in a car. she vomited all over a car seat. then ate this good looking warm food. miesposo almost produced a second helping of his own :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
i have two rotties. only one of them was ever driven in a car. she vomited all over a car seat. then ate this good looking warm food. miesposo almost produced a second helping of his own :)

We always introduce our dogs to car driving at a young age, to avoid the above mentioned issues... lol

Mind you, we used to have a labrador. He refused to go number 2 anywhere else, except in our yard, as a pup. We were training him cc. 20 miles from our home, 3 times per week. One day, we knew he had to go (ever see a lab walking cross-legged... lol), but he refused. I stopped 3 times on the way home, to give him a chance, to no avail.

On the last stretch, we got this incredible stench in the car. Guess....

I have never stopped that quickly, and threw out the sheet we were using in the booth....

Mind you, problem solved... we went out, and said pee or poo, and he did it on command...

I deducted the can of "febreze" or "glade" depending on where you are from, from his snack allowance...

BelgianK

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In March we went to visit a DR1 friend for the day, and ended up leaving with a one-year old male rottie that she was caring for [prior owner couldn't physically handle the big guy]. She couldn't keep him because she had another un-neutered male dog, and the rottie wasn't happy with that

It was rather spur of the moment, and I was a little apprehensive until I learned he had grown up with a family who had small kids [they had left DR].

So, we put him into the car for the long drive home [about 3 hours]. About a half hour into the ride, Mr. AE said "look at this", and when I turned towards him, I saw the dog had leaned forward from the back seat to rest his big head on Mr. AE's right shoulder [between the bucket seats]. That's when I knew it was meant to be, and all would be fine.

Guess that family used to take him on car rides, lucky for us he loved it.