Crying kid scam

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A dear friend who works for USAID sent the following advice he received from a Dominican gov't friend about some scam activity. It is translated from Sp to Eng.

"National Police informs people that come out at night, people coming out of college, work and out of schools; If you find a child who cries in the street, with an address in hand and tells them to accompany him to this direction (albeit close), call or take him to the police and not to the address ... This is the new method being used for kidnapping, robbery and rape."

Regards,

PJT

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have read that scam somewhere but can't remember, pretty sure it wasn't in the DR though.

Mister J

May 21, 2012
Hello!...I'm new here, although, I have been visiting for a while. I have noticed that there are no rules regarding the opening of threads on this forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Hello!...I'm new here, although, I have been visiting for a while. I have noticed that there are no rules regarding the opening of threads on this forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It sometimes seems like there aren't any "rules" but there are some guidelines. Good place to ask questions that don't fit in other forums or general things. Welcome to DR1, and go ahead, ask away!

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/74048-posting-guidelines-new-posters-living-forum.html

1. While debate and discussion is fine, we will delete any post that is rude, insulting, contains a personal attack or is inflammatory.
2. Posters should post in a way that is respectful to other users.
3. Please stay in line with the topic being discussed and remember religion and race is off limits.
4. Posters should remember that the living forum is aimed at a general audience.
5. Spam posts will be deleted. We allow genuine third party recommendations of businesses and services within the Dominican Republic.
6. While advertisers may answer questions about their business, excessive repeat posts of the same nature will be considered as spam and deleted.
7. If you are not sure of anything, feel free to ask the moderator first via a private mail.
8. Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.
9. Keep to discussions regarding the Dominican Republic and living in the Dominican Republic.
10. Try not to post when you have had too much to drink as this often doesn't work out well.
11. While these guidelines cover most common situations, we cannot anticipate everything. We reserve the right to change our minds about anything to ensure that these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
12. And finally, don't ever take it personally. It is only a board and not life and death.

Happy posting!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
And when you reach the Golden Plato...500 posts.....the Off Topic Forum is available to you.....
Where.........ANYTHING GOES......within reason.....lol

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
And when you reach the Golden Plato...500 posts.....the Off Topic Forum is available to you.....
Where.........ANYTHING GOES......within reason.....lol

B in Santiago

The only place where you cannot earn free vacations by Robert!!! Allthough he regrets that by now, I believe... lol

BelgianK

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
Maybe it's because I'm an extremely neurotic individual but doesn't common sense say that they best course of action is calling the police, or taking home to the police station?

What's to say the second you take him home, and the caretakers (if you can call someone who would let a small child roam the streets alone, at night that) from saying you're not the reason they're crying? that you in some form or manner inflicted harm on the child. I would want no part of that mess especially in a country where I don't live in. Maybe it's just me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

One additional guideline, don't hijack somebody else's thread. Your post is an example of a hijack, a post that has nothing to do with the subject introduced by the person who started the thread and which moves people away from whatever was the subject of the first post.

Please don't take this as criticism because it isn't. You are brand new to posting. But keep it mind. You don't want somebody trampling on a thread you start, nobody does.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe it's because I'm an extremely neurotic individual but doesn't common sense say that they best course of action is calling the police, or taking home to the police station?

What's to say the second you take him home, and the caretakers (if you can call someone who would let a small child roam the streets alone, at night that) from saying you're not the reason they're crying? that you in some form or manner inflicted harm on the child. I would want no part of that mess especially in a country where I don't live in. Maybe it's just me.

I'm sure there are many like you. No scam catches everybody. But most, if not all, catch some. It is good that we are warned as there may be somebody reading this thread that might otherwise have tried to take the child "home"