U.S. IP address

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I'm sure this has been discussed before but how can you make your IP address seem like it originates from the us so I can watch various video's that can only be accessed if you live in the states

Thanks

O.S.

Jan 17, 2009
I use a free service, add supported, Hotspot Shield

It works most of the times. Every now and then, the sites catch that you're using a VPN but when that has happened, no other paid VPN I tried worked either.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I've been using Unblock Us for several months now and swear buy it. I changed the DNS settings on my router, rebooted the router and that was it. Took all of 2 minutes and it has worked flawlessly since. Any and all devices that connect on my WiFi have access to all the US-only goodies. It costs CAD$4.99 per month. Well worth it!

Jan 17, 2009
I've been using Unblock Us for several months now and swear buy it. I changed the DNS settings on my router, rebooted the router and that was it. Took all of 2 minutes and it has worked flawlessly since. Any and all devices that connect on my WiFi have access to all the US-only goodies. It costs CAD$4.99 per month. Well worth it!

That sounds like a nice offering if you can set it up in the router. If I may ask, which router/Internet service do you have here?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have an Apple Airport Extreme router and I have TriCom's WiMax service (I'm in Bavaro). I find the DNS solution much simpler than VPN.

Feb 7, 2007
I use Witopia, a bit pricy, but I get to choose which state in the US I want my IP address to come from.

Thank you for sharing this. I was looking for some cheap option to try that has Argentina VPN to be able to watch some TV shows from there. I will give this a try on their 5.99 month plan and see how it works. Too bad they don't have Colombia, I have to use a Chinese VPN for that that is not that expensive in order to see shows from Caracol, but the speeds are terrible.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011

Totally agree!!!! I have programmed my xbox and computer with it, so I have access to us netflix and hulu :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I looked at the Surfbouncer website. I appears they change $15/month

I also looked at the Unblock website. The charge there is $5/month.

What are the benefits of Surbouncer at $15/month that you don't get from Unblock for $5?

Feb 7, 2007
@Ken - with a VPN provider, ALL your traffic you route via VPN (e.g. surfbouncer) will show US IP address. The DNS provider (e.g. Unblock us) will sow US IP address for the listed entertainment websites, but MAY NOT necessarily show it on other websites (e.g. online stores, etc.) - for example Aeropostale will not even process your order to be shipped to US address if you are placing order from a non-US address. The ones that use unblockme might want to check what is the IP address that What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... shows.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
for example Aeropostale will not even process your order to be shipped to US address if you are placing order from a non-US address.
My PayPal account has my US EPS shipping address...but says "Dominican Republic", not "United States."

And PayPal has no mechanism to change it. It reads the IP when you open the account. It's been a hassle more than once. Many online vendors will not sell to a DR IP address.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
@Ken - with a VPN provider, ALL your traffic you route via VPN (e.g. surfbouncer) will show US IP address. The DNS provider (e.g. Unblock us) will sow US IP address for the listed entertainment websites, but MAY NOT necessarily show it on other websites (e.g. online stores, etc.) - for example Aeropostale will not even process your order to be shipped to US address if you are placing order from a non-US address. The ones that use unblockme might want to check what is the IP address that What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... shows.

Thanks for the explanation. i am going to follow up on this. I order a lot of stuff online and have never had any problem because I have a US shipping address (EPS) and a US credit card with a US address, but I have had other problems, such as not being able to get help from the online support websites for Microsoft, Canon, and my AV provider because I have a DR IP address. From your explanation, it appears that surfbouncer or something like that would be better for me than unblock, etc.

Jan 17, 2009
I only know of one site that would not sell with a foreign IP, newegg.com. Never had a problem with other sites but Costco that cancelled my order saying they will not ship to any freight forwarding when given my Miami EPS.

Feb 7, 2007
Ken, I would certainly not transmit any sensitive information (login info, credit card details, etc.) over a public poxy server....unless, of course, you want that information to get out ....