New Electrical Contract Question

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
What exactly is needed to get a contract open from Edenorte in Santiago? Is it possible they can connect the same day?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From what I remember you need identification and a contract or title of the property in question and I believe it can take a week to get the power connected. However, once you have the order number if you know a contractor for Edenorte they can expedite it for you. I have a friend at Edenorte who maybe able to do it.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Normally its take 3 days from the contract but if you know some contractor you can get it same day.
About the questions: As more you say as more expensive is the contract . They ask you how many electrical units you have.
Say : only 4 lamps no fan no tv no washer tell them you only need light.
They would not trust you but its their business. rarely they check by visiting you.
They are bandits tread them like bandits

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Normally its take 3 days from the contract but if you know some contractor you can get it same day.
About the questions: As more you say as more expensive is the contract . They ask you how many electrical units you have.
Say : only 4 lamps no fan no tv no washer tell them you only need light.
They would not trust you but its their business. rarely they check by visiting you.
They are bandits tread them like bandits

Wow, so they base your KWH rate on what you have in the house? I thought the rate was based on your neighborhood? I thought them asking you what you run was so that they can can size the equipment for the installation. Say you have a pool, 3 fridges and so on, they would need this information to size the meters, wires and all the other connecting equipment.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Wow, so they base your KWH rate on what you have in the house? I thought the rate was based on your neighborhood? I thought them asking you what you run was so that they can can size the equipment for the installation. Say you have a pool, 3 fridges and so on, they would need this information to size the meters, wires and all the other connecting equipment.

The Kwh is not based on what you have in the house. This is a popular myth. It is based on consumption and is clearly labeled on the bill and is a sliding scale based on consumption which is gotten from the meter reading which is also on the bill. they ask for the number of light and appliances as a measure of protection against energy theft.

BTW, Edenorte are not bandits and until we get rid of this backwards thinking we will never have power like we should as we who pay our bill are paying for 10 others who rob power.

canadaborn

May 7, 2011
BTW, Edenorte are not bandits and until we get rid of this backwards thinking we will never have power like we should as we who pay our bill are paying for 10 others who rob power.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree most strongly. It is with much experience, in my opinion, Ednorte's policies in dealing with me makes them bandits. Let me explain, I live out in the country just north of santiago with my dominican wife. About ten years or so ago (before me) she was renting a small house and used her cedula # for the electrical contract with Ednorte. She is one of only a few that actually pay for electricity most steal it but while living in that house she paid the bill. She moved out and a succesion of other people rented the house none of whom took out a contract with Ednorte. When the women that controls the Ednorte office in this area saw me ( el gringo) they where in the area to force people to disconnect or pay and sign a contract and that's when she saw me. Ok so they looked up what info they have on my wife and saw the old contract. My wife offered to pay about $1400 in old fees and they accepted... but!!! they would not end the contract it seems that my wife is responsible for the contract until the person now renting the house takes it over or the house is vacant for one month and then the contract will be ended. It has now been about 3 years, same person still living in the house and Ednorte wants about $100,000 and probably more, I have since lost track. Two problems have surfaced for my wife. First the banco popular has not accepted her for any further loans and to get a visa to visit Canada is not possible until the contract is satisfied. In my humble opinion Ednort knows this and is using this to extort the money from esentially me so I talked with my canadian lawyer and he said to give him all the info about 3 months before applying for her visitors visa and he would fix it with Gov Canada. He told me that the Canadian Government would not allow Ednorte to use the canadian gov as part of there extortion scam and all I will have to do is deposit enough money (a little more than the disputed amount) in trust with my lawyer and ednorte then could deal with him and the government of canada...pretty slick I think. Oh yes they will also have a time limit and when that ends the money will be returned to me. We now have built a new house and are presently living in it although it is not finished yet. My wife put the contract for electricity into her daughters name and Ednorte has yet to hook it up so I had some boys run the lines about 1000 feet or so and am presently stealing power along with a contract and waiting for ednorte to connect the permanent lines. Three months now and I have not paid anything and by the way the temporary lines are hooked up in front of one of Ednorte's managers who happens to live there and the boys who stung the lines where helped by him and two of his men. As a side note we should be paying a flat rate of $500 pesos per month for about 12 to 14 hours of power per day. We have an inverter (1500 watts and 4 batteries and a backup generator) I have researched solar power and it would be feasable for us with a pay back of about 15 years, I am just about ready to do that. Is the company ednorte bandits...IMHO yes.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unfortunately electrical fraud here is too common and therefore if one has a contract and does not properly cancel it and have the meter removed there could be trouble. One needs to keep a copy of the cancellation of the electrical contract and rental contract cancellation. If your wife has these a decent lawyer should get her out of trouble with little problems.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
They are . I do not say that they based their rate on the units you have I said the based the price fort the contract on that.
Depending on that your contract can cost everything between 1500 an 5000 Peso
They are bandits because they use they monopoly to do what they won't, the service is bad. If you get a contract or not depending on the person in charge if you lucky he or her has slept well last night if not they won't to know the nickname of your mother in low. In a normal marked that company and even Corasan would never have enough customer to survive.
Don't tell me about them I am dealing with them every month

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Do you know what a decent lawyer cost. And tell me how do find a decent one? I am still looking for one after six years

Feb 7, 2007
The Kwh is not based on what you have in the house. This is a popular myth. It is based on consumption and is clearly labeled on the bill and is a sliding scale based on consumption which is gotten from the meter reading which is also on the bill. they ask for the number of light and appliances as a measure of protection against energy theft.

BTW, Edenorte are not bandits and until we get rid of this backwards thinking we will never have power like we should as we who pay our bill are paying for 10 others who rob power.

And I would add that your deposit is also NOT based on what you have in the house (btw I was never ever asked what I had in the house, or in the office, and I have made about 8 contracts so far with EdeEste). The deposit is RD$1000 for 110V connection and RD$2000 for 220V connection. Can be paid in the invoice. My recent installation in la Romana for my office there (in residential area) was RD$2.000 deposit for 220V, split into 2 even payments. You get your deposit back after you close the contract (which may be years, or never) so treat it as an "installation cost" but keep your receipt/invoice where the deposit was paid because you will need it to claim it after you close the contract and want your deposit back. Deposit is issued in cash several days after you close the contract and settle all due bills.
Also, there are only two rates, BTS1 and BTS2 that apply to "normal" consumers, BTS1 is residential and BTS2 is commercial, BTS2 is about 10-12% higher. I ahve heard of some instances where highrises and condos had BTS2 as wlel, but normal residential houses and small apartment complexes are on BTS1.

Also, any question about the "appliances" in the house, are only for places with fixed rate (former PRA program) which was dismantled and everybody is being installed meter along with Bonoluz program for poor neighborhoods. So there is no logic in asking you about what you have in the house (and again, in 7 years and 8 contracts, I have never been asked this).

Also there is only standard wiring and standard meter. The electric distribution company will bring the power to the meter using a "triple" (an inch thick black rubber coated wire) and you are responsible for any wiring from the meter onwards. Both the meters and wiring ("triple") can support quite high load.

If you have a really high high load (e.g. 20KW permanent, etc.) you may need to get your own transformer - and you will have to pay for it!

Feb 7, 2007
She moved out and a succesion of other people rented the house none of whom took out a contract with Ednorte....My wife offered to pay about $1400 in old fees and they accepted... but!!! they would not end the contract it seems that my wife is responsible for the contract until the person now renting the house takes it over or the house is vacant for one month and then the contract will be ended.

You are being told incorrect information! First of all, she can cancel contract ANY time she wants if the contract is in good standing (no past due bills). She simply goes to customer service and tells them she wants to end the contract. If they refuse, go to another Edenorte office. Anyway, they cannot refuse to close the contract, because she as the "titular" has a full right to do so. If they still refuse, she can go to PROTECOM and file a complain. They are one of the more efficient branches of consume protection agencies of the Dominican government (all the cases I brought before Protecom I won).

First mistake she made was she didn't close the contract when she/you moved out.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
As I said before, its always depending whom you meet in the Ede-office.
I wrote MY experience with the EDE-NORTE office in SANTIAGO, both Headoffice and Colina Mall.
I register every month a lot of contracts for my clients, and my post is what i experience.