To protect and to serve...... NOT

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Amnesty International denounced Wednesday that 289 people died at the hands of the National Police; 60 journalists and other media workers underwent harassment or physical aggressions, and at least 100 were evacuated by force in several parts of the country from January to September last year.

http://dr1.com/news.php#10

Last edited by a moderator:

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
So, how does one begin to stop the outrageous killings of the police force?? Will this new government now crack down on killings and corruption, or am I just hoping so.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So, how does one begin to stop the outrageous killings of the police force??

Stop employing thugs to do jobs of responsibility. Get rid of all and start again, but as long as there is corruption and ruthless thugs at the top, it flows into the bottom ranks and out into the street level dogs. So it won't, can't and doesn't want to stop, if the foot soldiers fell into line then the ranks above would have to, and it just doesn't work like that. As has been said many times, it is a national gang, criminal gang, why should they act any differently.

It is just how things happen in certain corners of the world, the best people can do it to just keep their heads down and live in a bubble, and keep your bubble above the dirt.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Will this new government now crack down on killings and corruption, or am I just hoping so.

The latter. I'd say more often than not getting rid of problems in this way is more or less applauded... and it lowers the number of repeat offenders.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So, how does one begin to stop the outrageous killings of the police force?? Will this new government now crack down on killings and corruption, or am I just hoping so.

If they cracked down on this policy then they would have to have a real Court System that works. And they cannot afford that at this time.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The latter. I'd say more often than not getting rid of problems in this way is more or less applauded... and it lowers the number of repeat offenders.

There are enough people on this site who routinely support extra-judicial killings by the police.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
There are enough people on this site who routinely support extra-judicial killings by the police.

And there's plenty of us on this site who are willing to call those people philistines every time they pipe up with their wisdom of the mob garbage! :)

I think we all know how to 'fix' the police force (and government for that matter) in this country - the locals won't ever buy into it - but they need a 'management consultants' - in the case of the police, it would be to hire retired white policemen from places like Canada, UK, etc. Countries where the police deal with things like bambi is stuck in a tree etc. :)

Sometimes its better to eradicate the problem, This is not The USA,or England,France or Germany. They dont have a judicial system, like Sky pointed out prepared to handle cases in a correct manner. Many of these gansters running around robbing and killing would be free in no time with pay offs to judges and the like and be free to continue on their crime sprees

I think we all know how to 'fix' the police force (and government for that matter) in this country - the locals won't ever buy into it - but they need a 'management consultants' - in the case of the police, it would be to hire retired white policemen from places like Canada, UK, etc. Countries where the police deal with things like bambi is stuck in a tree etc. :)

Unfortunately its their country and they can do as they like,if you don't like it you can leave. To many people on this board want to impose their standards from their home countries, Sorry boys and girls your not in Kansas anymore.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The word POLICE does not exsit in the Dominican Republic. How are you going to FIX something that does not exist? The words , judges, lawyers, and police should NEVER be in the same sentence with the Dominican Republic NUNCA!!!!

La Policia in the Dominican Republic, thats like saying a former first lady can become VP that WILL NEVER happen!!!

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Unfortunately its their country and they can do as they like,if you don't like it you can leave. To many people on this board want to impose their standards from their home countries, Sorry boys and girls your not in Kansas anymore.

Yes, you are correct, badpiece. I think most people on this board DO want to impose standards from their own countries, but in the name of JUSTICE for all. Too bad DR cannot be cleaned up anytime soon. Beautiful people living in a beautiful island. Deserve to have a government that takes care of its people.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's clear that many don't really understand the power structure of the Dominican Republic. Where First Worlders come from the politicians have the power as granted by "the people."

Like Patrick said, this ain't Kansas.

The actual power in the DR is neither the people nor politicians. It's the military...and that includes the NP, Politur and AMET. Politicians are an unconnected subset of the military hierarchy.

Why do you think such a small country has such a large military?

Why do you think there are a couple of hundred generals in the military...and EACH PRESIDENT APPOINTS MORE?

Why do you think the heads of the various police agencies dress like military generals?

Why do you think many Dominicans make it a point to have a General...or at MINIMUM a Colonel...on their Christmas "Johnny Walker" list?

A number of DR1ers know this, and have a card from a general or colonel on their person at all times, like a "get out of jail free" card.

Force controls a society, and the military in the DR has, by far, the most guns...and a command structure.

This is not an uncommon situation in many LA countries. Look around.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Deserve to have a government that takes care of its people.
Look at the voting turnout. Look at the (non) differences between the two main parties that got 98% of the vote in a HUGE turnout! Numbers tell the story...

Dominicans have exactly the kind of gubmint they want and don't want to hear from condescending gringos how to do it a different way...

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Look at the voting turnout. Look at the (non) differences between the two main parties that got 98% of the vote in a HUGE turnout! Numbers tell the story...

Dominicans have exactly the kind of gubmint they want and don't want to hear from condescending gringos how to do it a different way...

Not condescending Cobra, and certainly I didn`t suggest a way to change things. My simple point is that Dominican people deserve better. On my many trips to the DR, I heard over and over again, about corruption from the people, and how they do not at all support their government, and telling me all about the corruption, police etc. Im just saying.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Not condescending Cobra, and certainly I didn`t suggest a way to change things. My simple point is that Dominican people deserve better. On my many trips to the DR, I heard over and over again, about corruption from the people, and how they do not at all support their government, and telling me all about the corruption, police etc. Im just saying.
They don't "deserve" better. They get what they want.

The "deserve better" is a concept you bring to the table, not one the Dominican people ask for.

And it IS condescending. You ~assume~ YOUR way is somehow better than the form of society, culture and gubmint that has evolved here over several centuries...

Besides, talking baloney is a Dominican cultural pastime. But come Election Day, the turnout is extremely high and the voting patterns show a desire for more of the same...

(And like lawyers, everybody complains about the *the other guy's* corruption, yet vote for the guy who will deliver some of that corrupt largesse their direction...)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
They don't "deserve" better. They get what they want.

The "deserve better" is a concept you bring to the table, not one the Dominican people ask for.

And it IS condescending. You ~assume~ YOUR way is somehow better than the form of society, culture and gubmint that has evolved here over several centuries...

Besides, talking baloney is a Dominican cultural pastime. But come Election Day, the turnout is extremely high and the voting patterns show a desire for more of the same...

(And like lawyers, everybody complains about the *the other guy's* corruption, yet vote for the guy who will deliver some of that corrupt largesse their direction...)
CHECK & BALANCES is a term many people have gave their live up around the world to have the system The United States of America have.

Dirty cops WORST nightmare is the FBI. Does the Dominican Republic have an FBI? Dishonest "white collar workers" WORST nightmare is the SEC. Does the Dominican Republic have a SEC?

101% of the people around the world will tell you the system the US has in place is a MILLION times better then the DR. I will say this with great RELUNCTANCE " Dominicans are not the sharpest tacks in the box" because they think CHANGE is MOVING OUT of the Dominican Republic.