Dominican plumbing at it's best!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I had some ceiling repairs done around 8 months ago due to a water leak.
The ceiling started leaking again and after some investigation I found the problem.
The idiots wrapped a big sponge around the leaking pipe, instead of actually fixing the leak!

550969_10150812668255286_518405285_9933202_1118794221_n.jpg

This was done by a highly recommended plumber, so you never know.
Make sure you watch anyone working on your house like a hawk, beter still, fix the issues yourself.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There usta be a saying: Will it stay fixed long enuff to cash the check?
And that was in Florida!
Der Fish

The guy that did it came over, he said it was like that before. I showed him a photo from 8 months ago.

His response... "Ahhhh.... bueno..."

So many idiots, not enough bullets!

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Why is it we NEVER learn ?.

Make sure you watch anyone working on your house like a hawk, beter still, fix the issues yourself.
Best advice EVER to anybody living here.

Fabulous photo by the way, ain't paradise grand !.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The guy that did it came over, he said it was like that before. I showed him a photo from 8 months ago.

His response... "Ahhhh.... bueno..."

So many idiots, not enough bullets!

This is classic......

B in Santiago

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Robert,
it lasted 8 Months???
Lucky Duck,
the last azzhole fixing a leak in my Roof last summer been lucky enough to make it out past the watchy, lol, the crap lasted 3 weeks(even I can not remeber that in detail I bet we had a drought period of 3 weeks and it happened onnthe first Rainy day) and BUMMMM I went wet again during a short 30 minutes shower.

Right,
not enough Bullets, at least I hate that the Shots are so expensive here.

Mike

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This happening is the reason why in most cases PJT opts for the "beter [sic] still, fix the issues yourself."

So, add plumber, painter, mechanic, electrician, cook, housekeeper, grounds keeper, repairman and ect. to the r?sum?.

Ain't life here so grand, if one has spend his time watching the plumber, he might as well do the plumbing.
Those of us physically unable to perform these tasks of just plain klutzy are exempt from the fix it yourself issues but are obligated to maintain a steely-eyed gaze on any workman and keep bullets handy.

Regards,

PJT

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we had a huge leakage from the toilet in our main bathroom... so plumber fixed it...

we now have no leakage, but no water entering the tank of the toilet either......

the leakage is fixed, as I tested it with a couple of buckets of water....

why I do not get any water, I have no idea (tap is open, btw...)

He promised me to drop by tomorrow to have a look... for free...

BelgianK

May 5, 2007
Seems there was a recent controversial thread where some people swore that Dominican construction methods were equal to or exceeded those of the USA?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
They know nothing about plumbing and why its done a certain way , you cannot put pvc directly in cement as it expands and ccontracts and you cannot put copper tubing in cement as it has a reaction to it and will rot in time. It is monkey see monkey do here.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
They know nothing about plumbing and why its done a certain way , you cannot put pvc directly in cement as it expands and ccontracts and you cannot put copper tubing in cement as it has a reaction to it and will rot in time. It is monkey see monkey do here.

This is still a 3rd world country; level of education is extremely low so basic knowledge is not there!
You have to check everything they do and be there next to them, always, no exceptions!
Never ask if they understand you, never ask if they can do the job; the answer is always "Si, claro", even if they don't have any idea what you are talking about...

Other than that it's good living here imho!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You are exactly right..........
If you have any knowledge of construction, you have to supervise the supervisor..........
At least watch each phase because in the end.................YOU have to live with it...........

B in Santiago

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Seems there was a recent controversial thread where some people swore that Dominican construction methods were equal to or exceeded those of the USA?

Of course its equal! And Dominicans are never late for meetings, and have impeccable, respectful driving habits. Lets not forget their amazing honesty- I love the way when they scrape against your car in parking lots, they always write down their information and put it on your window so they can be contacted later to fix the problem. Yes paradise is grand!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
lol! Hillarious! I can't stop laughing guys. So true! And I don't even live there, but, after more than a decade of multiple visits, ... So true! I love it though.

May 12, 2005
I had some ceiling repairs done around 8 months ago due to a water leak.
The ceiling started leaking again and after some investigation I found the problem.
The idiots wrapped a big sponge around the leaking pipe, instead of actually fixing the leak!

550969_10150812668255286_518405285_9933202_1118794221_n.jpg

This was done by a highly recommended plumber, so you never know.

You should have called me, I would have used duct tape instead.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Robert, the oddest thing about that picture is seeing drywall...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
damn it Frank... you said exactly what I was thinking. LOL Actually, I was wondering if the plumber had to walk home bare footed because he used his shoe laces to tie the foam in place. LOL (this is the kind of stuff that gives me nightmares)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Here's one for you all, I was watching this 'plumber' putting some PVC together.......was using teflon tape and pvc cement, so I ask him what does the glue stick to? he replies to the teflon tape, ...... so I ask what does the teflon tape stick to?...... the pvc cement.......

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Of course its equal! And Dominicans are never late for meetings, and have impeccable, respectful driving habits. Lets not forget their amazing honesty- I love the way when they scrape against your car in parking lots, they always write down their information and put it on your window so they can be contacted later to fix the problem. Yes paradise is grand!

And again anooother opportunity to bash on those 2 legged savages, them Dominicans!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Believe it or not there are plenty of qualified plumbers, engineers, technicians here in the DR. The trick is to get references of course.

Speaking of plumbing I have seen it done correctly here so it can be done the right way. Also, for those in the construction business like myself (19 years) know that inferior crap like this happens in the States as well. In fact my brother makes a good living suing contractors.