US Consulate job opportunity

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The United States Embassy Consular Section is seeking qualified individuals to fill these two positions: Passport and Citizenship Assistant, Special Consular Services Assistant. For more information on these positions, see Home | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic and click on the Embassy Jobs link in the Key Embassy Links box on the right side of the page. Interested applicants should submit a copy of their resume by 8 June 2012 to fax 809 731-4372 or by email to hro@embajadausa.gov.do
Dominican residents need to include a copy of valid Dominican ID (cedula).

TheHoagster

Jun 15, 2008
I applied earlier this morning and received an undeliverable email saying that Sofia's email is full and unable to receive the email. I just wanted to let you know. Of course I will submit again tomorrow.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
4000 applicants no doubt for two positions, what will make your resume stand out? If one was serious they would go and camp out at the embassy and demand the interviewee see you, but you better be QUALIFIED.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
4000 applicants no doubt for two positions, what will make your resume stand out? If one was serious they would go and camp out at the embassy and demand the interviewee see you, but you better be QUALIFIED.

Why would you have to be qualified to work there? No one else that works there is..................

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
Why would you have to be qualified to work there? No one else that works there is..................
Thumbs up for you SKY LOL!!...just tried to get a visa for my girlfriend the other day, denied!!... they ask you all kinds of questions when you apply, but don't take any in consideration when you present yourself there!!....she waited 5 hours before passing, took 5 minutes and the questions were: are you married? do you own a house? do you own a vehicule? how much do you earn?..plus some other...which all the responds were actually in the appilcation, if ever they would have taken a look at it!!...5 minutes, 5 hours waiting, to say denied!!!!...I call that legal robbery...and plus she told me that the 6 persons in front of her were all denied also...so imagine the raquete of money making approx 180$ each...pass 30 or 40 per day!!...denied...pays the employes!!...what a laugh!!...oh yes, plus another one...even heard that while they are talking to you, they are pretending to be checking on the internet, your file...but...from what i heard, many of them are on like Facebook ot twitter !!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thumbs up for you SKY LOL!!...just tried to get a visa for my girlfriend the other day, denied!!... they ask you all kinds of questions when you apply, but don't take any in consideration when you present yourself there!!....she waited 5 hours before passing, took 5 minutes and the questions were: are you married? do you own a house? do you own a vehicule? how much do you earn?..plus some other...which all the responds were actually in the appilcation, if ever they would have taken a look at it!!...5 minutes, 5 hours waiting, to say denied!!!!...I call that legal robbery...and plus she told me that the 6 persons in front of her were all denied also...so imagine the raquete of money making approx 180$ each...pass 30 or 40 per day!!...denied...pays the employes!!...what a laugh!!...oh yes, plus another one...even heard that while they are talking to you, they are pretending to be checking on the internet, your file...but...from what i heard, many of them are on like Facebook ot twitter !!

They are building a new Embassy with the money they rob. Imagine paying what is it like $50 for a phone call just to get an interview? Then paying for the interview and getting a rubber stamp denial. I know they give some Visas out, but even suckers in a Carnival game win sometimes. They have to give a few to keep the money flowing.

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
They are building a new Embassy with the money they rob. Imagine paying what is it like $50 for a phone call just to get an interview? Then paying for the interview and getting a rubber stamp denial. I know they give some Visas out, but even suckers in a Carnival game win sometimes. They have to give a few to keep the money flowing.
Right on!!

HM11

Mar 24, 2012
It's only costing $194,000,000 dollars.... you'd expect them to say yes!! HA!!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
do you own a house? do you own a vehicule? how much do you earn?..plus some other...which all the responds were actually in the appilcation, if ever they would have taken a look at it!!...5 minutes, 5 hours waiting, to say denied!!!!...I call that legal robbery...and plus she told me that the 6 persons in front of her were all denied also

Of course the majority of the applicants are denied - America does not have an open door policy - as far as I know there isn't a country on earth that does.

I am not trying to pick on you or your girlfirend watson but I would imagine that the answers to those questions are no and that her salary is not that much. I would imagine that if she actually qualified for a visa she would have had one before meeting you. Why is it so many Americans believe that their dating a foreigner automatically makes their significant other qualify for a visa?

I am not saying that the workers in embassies are perfect but they do a thankless job of weeding through thousands of fraudalent claims each year and also have to make the difficult decisions that can extinguish other's dreams while up holding the laws and guidelines of the immigration policies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Of course the majority of the applicants are denied - America does not have an open door policy - as far as I know there isn't a country on earth that does.

I am not trying to pick on you or your girlfirend watson but I would imagine that the answers to those questions are no and that her salary is not that much. I would imagine that if she actually qualified for a visa she would have had one before meeting you. Why is it so many Americans believe that their dating a foreigner automatically makes their significant other qualify for a visa?

I am not saying that the workers in embassies are perfect but they do a thankless job of weeding through thousands of fraudalent claims each year and also have to make the difficult decisions that can extinguish other's dreams while up holding the laws and guidelines of the immigration policies.

Obviously you have never even entered the US Embassy for anything or you would not be talking like this. It is not only Visas, but try and get "help" if you are an American citizen and see how you are treated. Then come back here and tell us how hard they try........................

watson56

Jul 19, 2011

Well I am a canadian and have been going out and living with her for a year now, plus I am the one who is paying, plus I got a Canadian VISA for her without any hassle and we went to Canada last winter for a month, plus we travel Westjet because we cannot make any transits in U.S. because no visa for her. The price for a transit visa is the same as a visit visa...and since I am sponsoring her, I didn't see why she cannot get it. ..they could have at least offered her a transit one in exchange and not steal the money. Anyway, too bad for the american airliners, we take the canadian one direct....and we will spend our money elsewhere :p

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Obviously you have never even entered the US Embassy for anything or you would not be talking like this. It is not only Visas, but try and get "help" if you are an American citizen and see how you are treated. Then come back here and tell us how hard they try........................

I have dealt with embassy employees in four different countries and I do believe that they try to the best of their ability. I had the most interaction with the embassy in the DR, certificate of birth abroad, passport, ss card for my son, and perhaps I was just lucky or maybe it was since I was prepared and organized and did not have an attitude; but everything went exactly as it should and I have no complaints over the efforts made by the embassy employees on our behalf. I guess I should just keep knocking on wood so my luck doesn't change. :)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Well I am a canadian and have been going out and living with her for a year now, plus I am the one who is paying, plus I got a Canadian VISA for her without any hassle and we went to Canada last winter for a month, plus we travel Westjet because we cannot make any transits in U.S. because no visa for her. The price for a transit visa is the same as a visit visa...and since I am sponsoring her, I didn't see why she cannot get it. ..they could have at least offered her a transit one in exchange and not steal the money. Anyway, too bad for the american airliners, we take the canadian one direct....and we will spend our money elsewhere :p
I am glad that you have a sense of humor about the issue :p
But please think for a moment before you rip into the American embassy. Based on the information you provided I would like you to think about the following points.

1. you applied for a visit visa but would settle for a transit visa - why not apply for a transit visa if that is what you want? embassy employees can only judge your case on the forms and information you submit
2. you are Canadian - you have no legal standing to sponsor anyone for a US visa since you are not a US citizen
3. you are having to pay for everything so it does seem that your girlfriend lacks the resources to qualify for a visa

I can understand that you are frustrated that your girlfriend did not get a visa but I would hope that you would not bad mouth the employees of my country for doing their job when based on the information you have provided it seems clear that she does not qualify for a visa.

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
I am glad that you have a sense of humor about the issue :p
But please think for a moment before you rip into the American embassy. Based on the information you provided I would like you to think about the following points.

1. you applied for a visit visa but would settle for a transit visa - why not apply for a transit visa if that is what you want? embassy employees can only judge your case on the forms and information you submit
2. you are Canadian - you have no legal standing to sponsor anyone for a US visa since you are not a US citizen
3. you are having to pay for everything so it does seem that your girlfriend lacks the resources to qualify for a visa

I can understand that you are frustrated that your girlfriend did not get a visa but I would hope that you would not bad mouth the employees of my country for doing their job when based on the information you have provided it seems clear that she does not qualify for a visa.

Sorry if you felt bad mouth to the employees, but it isn't the employees I was aiming at, it's the system. Nowhere does it mention that if: you do not have a certain amount of money or whatever, that you will not be allowed; nowhere does it say that if you are married to a ...U.S. citizen I suppose?? your chances are higher to obtain one; Why does it ask who is paying??...it might as well say that if you don't have money, forget it and don't spend money on it!! ....and for the last, I wanted to get a transit visa, but when I read the info on the internet sight, seeing it was the same price and that I DIDN'T see why she would not be accepted since I WAS paying ( question answered on the form and traveling with her )!!... That is where the problem is!!...Why doesn't it give it straight and not fool around with the info!!..and not have people spend money on something it knows they won't get anyway... especially in the D.R. where the salaries for the most, unless working in one of the Government offices, owning a million dollar Co. or being a family member of one of them, don't even earn enough to pay their appartment!! Sorry but I find it Ridicilous!!...and I am holding my tongue because I would have harsher words than that to describe the situation, not just in the US embassy dept. , but others too that I have been threw in the D.R....but as all the poor good dominicans I've met said to me: don't worry, be happy...life is beautiful, keep on smiling :)

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Sorry if you felt bad mouth to the employees, but it isn't the employees I was aiming at, it's the system. Nowhere does it mention that if: you do not have a certain amount of money or whatever, that you will not be allowed; nowhere does it say that if you are married to a ...U.S. citizen I suppose?? your chances are higher to obtain one; Why does it ask who is paying??...it might as well say that if you don't have money, forget it and don't spend money on it!! ....and for the last, I wanted to get a transit visa, but when I read the info on the internet sight, seeing it was the same price and that I DIDN'T see why she would not be accepted since I WAS paying ( question answered on the form and traveling with her )!!... That is where the problem is!!...Why doesn't it give it straight and not fool around with the info!!..and not have people spend money on something it knows they won't get anyway... especially in the D.R. where the salaries for the most, unless working in one of the Government offices, owning a million dollar Co. or being a family member of one of them, don't even earn enough to pay their appartment!! Sorry but I find it Ridicilous!!...and I am holding my tongue because I would have harsher words than that to describe the situation, not just in the US embassy dept. , but others too that I have been threw in the D.R....but as all the poor good dominicans I've met said to me: don't worry, be happy...life is beautiful, keep on smiling :)
The reason it didn't say anywhere that if you are married to a US citizen you have a better chance of geting a visa (other than an immigration visa) is because that is not the case. I think what they are trying to do is keep from being defrauded. Therefore, if you can't in your application, present a case that distinguishes yourself from the millions of previous frauds that have been perpetrated on them then you are denied. Seeing as how, as you say, they're processing 30-40 people a day it's on you to present a strong case. I've only had one dealing with them and it went very smoothly.

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
Anyway, what I am trying to say is that if I would have had some doubt what-so-ever that she would have not get it, I wouldn't have had her apply for it. When I saw that THEY WERE ASKING WHO IS PAYING AND TRAVELING WITH HER, and knowing that I have the money, not her, I presumed that it was ok. If I would have read somewhere on the form or info on their internet sight that they do not take that into account, I would of just asked for a TRANSIT VISA, knowing that she did not have the salary to be accepted for a VISIT VISA. And when they ask if she is married, does that mean to an american citizen??? since I am canadian, would that change anything?? That is was fustratates me, they don't give us the info what it takes to have the right to enter, have us spend money for a NO and no options to exchange for a TRANSIT...just have to pay again and re-apply!!...and that is where I call that legal robbery!! I would be curious to know what is the % of denied compared to the ones accepted at the DR US embassy office.