Are their any sharks??

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
So, just wondering if DR is known to have sharks, and I DON`T mean the human kind. I already know there are plenty of those:pAlso, what kind of marine life is one to be aware of.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are nurse sharks in the main off the south coast and in common with most sharks they are harmless. Off Catalinita island (the smaller neighbour of Catalina) there are also reef sharks - black tip in the main. Again harmless.

The marine life you need to be aware of is stingrays, which are deadly if they sting you in the heart and bloody painful if sting anywhere else, stone fish and scorpion fish and lion fish, all have nasty stings. But if you just look and don't hassle them then no worries. Also watch out for sea urchins if walking in the sea without shoes and at certain times of the year there are jelly fish.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are nurse sharks in the main off the south coast and in common with most sharks they are harmless. Off Catalinita island (the smaller neighbour of Catalina) there are also reef sharks - black tip in the main. Again harmless.

The marine life you need to be aware of is stingrays, which are deadly if they sting you in the heart and bloody painful if sting anywhere else, stone fish and scorpion fish and lion fish, all have nasty stings. But if you just look and don't hassle them then no worries. Also watch out for sea urchins if walking in the sea without shoes and at certain times of the year there are jelly fish.

Matilda

So what kind of sharks are those in the mona passage that eat people?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Land shark... Cabarete last year

[video=youtube;EASo0AzIctQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASo0AzIctQ[/video]

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sharks live in all the oceans. The DR has almost no history of shark attacks. Its nothing to worry about. You are unlikely to swim in the Mona passage unless you are in a yola sneaking off to Puerto Rico and sink.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well if they eat people they will be dead already probably. In a past life I was/am a shark specialty diver and instructor and dived hundreds of times with loads of sharks - black tip, white tip, silver tip, hammerhead, nurse, tiger. They don't eat people as a rule. The shark attacks are usually Great Whites who eat seals and turtles and a person on a surf board looks just like a turtle. You will notice they rarely eat people as once they take a bite they spit them out as we don't taste very nice.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in 1996 a charter plane crashed off the shore of puerto plata (about 26km from the city), soon after take off. all 189 people on board died and according to some sources: rescue workers who pulled scores of mangled bodies from the water said some showed evidence of shark attack.
so there must be sharks. not much in terms of shark attacks in DR thou, in general.
Hallan mordido por Tibur?n restos de joven arrastrado al mar Caribe por una ola | Noticias SIN
DESDE LA REP?BLICA DOMINICANA: Ataque de tibur?n a pescador en Las Terrenas

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There is no passport control for sharks and so they can get everywhere, there was even a great white off the coast of Scotland a few years ago, 5 people were attacked in 4 days last year within a 5 mile radius in the Med, a few linmbs chomped off and one death. The are plenty sharks off the South Coast, but I haven't a clue what kind, and rare happenings like the boy eaten off Boca last year while spear fishing. As a rule I don't go in the sea, purely as I don't want to be a rare statistic and only panic when I'm in the water, so is no fun anyway. There is footage on the net of a capsized boat some years ago with sharks circling the victims and the pilots unable to do anything. I'm not sure exactly where it was but in the region so I remember.
I was talking with a guy in Sosua several years ago and he said how the place used to be rich in sharks when there was an an slaughterhouse on the cliff overlooking the bay, all the remains would get dumped off the edge. He went on to say that they have been heavily fished since and numbers are low these days.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I recall when I lived in Samana several fisherman reported encounters with sharks. The kind that bit, not nurse sharks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No idea if this is historically accurate, but:

LAS NOTICIAS QUE LEO: JESUS DE GALINDEZ...UNA V?CTIMA DE TRUJILLO....

"...Galindez fue traido drogado al pais, fue presentado semi-inconsciente a Trujillo, quien intent? hacerle tragar varias hojas del libro m?s penetratante contra su r?gimen abyecto. Al escupir una hoja, Trujillo lo interpret? como un insulto a su persona y decret? su muerte luego de torturas atroces. Fue tirado a los "lobos" unos tiburones que el d?spota ten?a acorralados en un estanque en el estuario del rio Nigua, que alimentaba exclusivamente de sus enemigos".

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
According to the International Shark Attack File, the last "unprovoked" attack in the DR was in 1963. The page was updated in January of this year, but there seems to be more recent cases of attacks that are documented but not included in the ISAF. (dv8's post and various others available in online Dominican newspapers).
Either way, and as other posters have mentioned, sharks are around, generally not aggressive, and the number of attacks occurring in Caribbean waters is low. Matilda's posts as an experienced shark diving instructor deserve credit on this subject, as experience is often a good source of information.

FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Bahamas' and the Antilles' Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks