Warning to Isuzu owners

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Last week Mr C took our pick-up for its routine service at Autocamiones, Av. Kennedy in Santo Domingo - the authorised service centre for Isuzu. When he collected the vehicle he drove straight to Punta Cana. Since arriving in Punta Cana the vehicle has not been parked in any unsupervised area.

By coincidence, on Saturday he was looking for something and noticed the spare tyre was missing. The company denies all responsibility although the spare tyre was definitely there when he left the vehicle, as evidenced by the checklist.

I wonder how many people have gone on for weeks and months without noticing - and therefore would not associate the loss with the vehicle being serviced.

Now he recalls that on a previous occasion a fellow customer was complaining about having something stolen from his vehicle.

So if you take your vehicle there, please double-check everything down to the last screw.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Unfortunately this is not all that uncommon. When you drop off your car at any dealer they have a checklist to walk around the car with for checking everything from scratches to whether you have windshield wipers and more. You get a copy of that checklist. When you pick up your car, bring that checklist with you and do the reverse...check everything before accepting the vehicle.

Just the other day I discovered the locking bolts on my BMW wheels had been left off "by accident". Yes, inspect it!

Failure to follow the methods used here in the DR will definitely result in unpleasant results.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Checking to see if you things are there isn't enough! Make sure that what is in your car is exactly what you had when you dropped it of. I once dropped off my Mitsubushi Montero Sport for regular maintenance and tune up, when I went to pick it up I notice my AC Delco battery was swapped out for a cheap smallish Meteoreto crap battery. No amount of arguing got me my battery back.

I suggest you open the hood and trunk of the car or truck and take a picture of each compartment with your phone (all phones today have a camera). Try to get the person receiving the vehicle in the picture this way you'll have a record of everything that is in the vehicle and there is no disputing if the person receiving the vehicle is in the picture.

Notlurking

Unfortunately this is not all that uncommon. When you drop off your car at any dealer they have a checklist to walk around the car with for checking everything from scratches to whether you have windshield wipers and more. You get a copy of that checklist. When you pick up your car, bring that checklist with you and do the reverse...check everything before accepting the vehicle.

Just the other day I discovered the locking bolts on my BMW wheels had been left off "by accident". Yes, inspect it!

Failure to follow the methods used here in the DR will definitely result in unpleasant results.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Another reason why I love this country so much. Why would I want to live anywhere else? My life is enriched so much by the fact that I have to distrust each person I encounter.