Deslinde process

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Has anyone in POP gone through the deslinde process from start to finish on a residential property? What are the total costs with everyone involved? Accurate time frame from start to finish? English speaking lawyer necessary? Any tax consequences afterwards? Thanks for any accurate details and advice!

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
It was an 8900 sq mtr lot so it may be less for something smaller. I think it took a long time because it was just after the new law was introduced so the courts were very busy.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Thanks Wayne, I kinda figured that might be the case. I hope the process is a little more efficient now than it was then! And a little less expensive.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
For me Peso 100000 prepaid and still after 3 years not solved by that son of a b.... dominican lawyer. The answer is: Its in process, we have to wait.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
So, the fee is determined solely by the lawyer, who disperses the money where he so chooses, like his pockets. Does he produce receipts along the way, as to where the money is used?

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
I have heard rumors, 3 - 6 months nowadays and about $1,000 U.S. So, I would not use a lawyer whom is not in that ballpark!

Aug 21, 2007
I believe the money goes, in part, to the surveyor and, in part, to the lawyer.

It was explained to me that it is a 3 step process. First, the surveyor does his work measuring the property, identifying the neighbors adjoining the property and informing them of your intent. The surveyor completes the application with his measurements. This information is submitted.

The second step is your assignment of a court date when a judge reviews the paperwork and anyone disputing your ownership of the property has an opportunity to be heard. The lawyer handles this portion of the deslinde.

If you pass that step successfully, you go to the third step where you await completion of your title.

I was told 6 - 9 months and my experience was 9 months. If the process takes longer than that, the surveyor may not have completed the paperwork and submitted it in a timely manner. Or, there was a problem when it was reviewed in court. Or, the lawyer has not followed through, picking up the final title or informing you that he/she has the title.

At least that is my understanding.

Lindsey

Last edited:

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Thank you, Lindsey! The process does not seem complicated as $1,000 U.S. seems more than sufficient. What could a surveyor cost in this country, and court fee's ? The rest in the lawyers pocket. Has anyone asked their lawyer to produce receipts for the surveyor costs and court costs?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I went with a local guy, according to next door, who also went with him. It cost 22,500 pesos each to start the process. Another 22,500 when he was finished. He never fished. After 3 years no progress was made. We reclaimed our titles and have not done any more work on them. Looking and waiting for an honest person to do the deslinda. Will gladly take recommendations.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
I paid a fair price and used a good lawyer and now have my new title. Guido Perdomo has a great reputation and gets the job done. I guess if you want to save a buck you can go the discount route and have an uncertain outcome.
Thank you, Lindsey! The process does not seem complicated as $1,000 U.S. seems more than sufficient. What could a surveyor cost in this country, and court fee's ? The rest in the lawyers pocket. Has anyone asked their lawyer to produce receipts for the surveyor costs and court costs?

Aug 21, 2007
My lawyer for the deslinde was Lisa Ewest. She is German, but speaks fluent Spanish and English. Years ago, before she was on her own, she worked for Guido Perdomo. Her communications skills are great. When I send her an email with a question or for an update, she answers within the day.

My husband's name was misspelled on our original title, so my deslinde required more work than is usual, involving several trips to Santo Domingo and communication with the US Consulate. Lisa did all this in a timely manner and never charged us more for the extra work.

Her office is in Sosua. Anyone wishing her contact information can PM me.

Lindsey

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
So, the fee is determined solely by the lawyer, who disperses the money where he so chooses, like his pockets. Does he produce receipts along the way, as to where the money is used?
No receipts,if you ask a dominican lawyer for a receipt he says: If you don't trust me you should not chose me. I told him that I am not trusting him, but that did not gave me my money back.

Aug 21, 2007
No receipts,if you ask a dominican lawyer for a receipt he says: If you don't trust me you should not chose me. I told him that I am not trusting him, but that did not gave me my money back.

May be your experience, but not mine. Each step of the way and each time more money is requested, I receive a receipt.

Lindsey

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
May be your experience, but not mine. Each step of the way and each time more money is requested, I receive a receipt.

Lindsey
Thanks Lindsey, I understand that I am dealing with the wrong people. Should informed me before starting the process. Please give me the e-mail direction to this german lady, will contact her next time.