New member!

CaribbeanGent

May 28, 2012
Hello, I recently just moved to Santo Domingo to live with my father who works here in the DR. I have been living in St Thomas but am originally from central Alabama. I am in my late 20s and would enjoy meeting some other expats in the area and learning a little more about living in Santo Domingo. Many Thanks!

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
welcome in :)... I have been living here for almost a yr now and plan on moving to POP.... if you want to make a good friend, contact my girlfriend's son, he speaks pretty good english and gets around this city...the only problem is that he's broke so, if you plan on going out, be ready to pay...they only earn peanuts here, can't even afford a car or even go out for a beer!!...and I have to help for the rent and all...but otherwise, he's a great young gentleman!!!..and your age...knows all about Santo

CaribbeanGent

May 28, 2012
welcome in :)... I have been living here for almost a yr now and plan on moving to POP.... if you want to make a good friend, contact my girlfriend's son, he speaks pretty good english and gets around this city...the only problem is that he's broke so, if you plan on going out, be ready to pay...they only earn peanuts here, can't even afford a car or even go out for a beer!!...and I have to help for the rent and all...but otherwise, he's a great young gentleman!!!..and your age...knows all about Santo

Thank you. I would love to get in touch with him, possibly email me the details! I also have a local number. aublueoar@gmail.com is my email. Thanks!

CaribbeanGent

May 28, 2012
Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome! Would love to continue to meet folks in SD. My days are pretty boring here!

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome! Would love to continue to meet folks in SD. My days are pretty boring here!
Welcome to Dominican Republic.
Since you are bored here, how do you compare life in St. Thomas with living in SD?

CaribbeanGent

May 28, 2012
I wasn't in STT for very long, but I did enjoy it. Much, much, much smaller island, easy to get around. But I love the DR as well.

Dec 26, 2011
My days are pretty boring here!

You're doing it wrong.

And, welcome!

Go west, north, east. There are rocky deserts resembling badlands, a beautiful mountainous area up in Constanza and great beaches all over. Concentrate on learning the language and learning it well and everything else should fall into place nicely for you. Good luck!

Last edited:

CaribbeanGent

May 28, 2012
Concentrate on learning the language and learning it well and everything else should fall into place nicely for you. Good luck!

Thank you! Fortunately, I am pretty fluent in spanish due to having lived in Colombia for five years in grade school. I've been getting out, and we've visited some of the beaches and have plans to get to the north coast. The only thing holding me back has been getting accustomed to the public transportation, which I seem to have figured out. It is indeed a beautiful country. Many thanks!