What are normal lawyer fees for sucession process

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
Hi, we are a young couple struggling to find an honest lawyer in Puerto Plata who will help us with a succession process. The one we have contacted are asking us for USD 10.000 or more! we are young and we don't have that amount of money! Is there anyone who can give us advice??? We'll appreciated it a lot!

A

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi, we are a young couple struggling to find an honest lawyer in Puerto Plata who will help us with a succession process. The one we have contacted are asking us for USD 10.000 or more! we are young and we don't have that amount of money! Is there anyone who can give us advice??? We'll appreciated it a lot!

A
What is a succession process? I know the meaning of the word but what exactly is the legal process for?

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
What is a succession process? I know the meaning of the word but what exactly is the legal process for?

In latin countries a process for the passing of property or legal rights after death. Like probate in the US. Some countries have an order of precedence i.e. wife, sons, etc...

Last edited:

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
In latin countries a process for the passing of property or legal rights after death. Like probate in the US. Some countries have an order of precedence i.e. wife, sons, etc...

Yes in the US i think its called the inheritance process, in this case my bf is getting a "solar" from a family member that died. I have lawyers and notaries in my family and i asked them about the cost of that in my country and its nothing like what they are charging us ( $10,000 USD PLUS) in the DR. Help!

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com
Hi Antonia

Mi wife is a Dominican Dutch lawyer and she can't handle all the work on her own. After many years of trying out and selecting colleages we now work sucesfully closely together with a Lady lawyer. If you speak Spanish, please sent me a PM.

Guss

Last edited:

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
Hi everyone! Just wanted to do an update and give out some advice to people, specially foreigners. After being in contact with some people in sosua my bf got a friend to recommend us a Dominican lawyer that charged us $3,000 USD. This is a fair price i suppose, because we had previous lawyers charge us incredible prices.
I will not mention any names but we consulted with 3 lawyers in sosua that asked from $8,000 USD to $17,000 USD for handling our process. We were in a state of shock when we were told the rates!!

Most of these well known lawyers are just seeking who to rip off. They have different rates for locals and foreign (and it can be understandable) but, come on, the difference should be a couple dollars not thousands!!

In such a needy society the ones on the top are sleazy creeps trying to rip off foreigners to get rich instead of being examples of honesty, so that their community can advance.
Just plain sad and disappointing.

Hope this helps!!!!

A

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
I'm glad to hear that everything went well with you:cool: and if everyone get informed about the prices,I am sure that many lawyers had to lower the fees they charge.
JT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for the update? You have not mentioned any names so we don't know who is naughty and who is nice.

Anyway, inheritance in the DR is pretty cut and dried...

In this case, since there was property involved and this meant titles and deslindes, you probably got a good/fair deal.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that in DR the fee is sometimes charged based on the value of the property, hence the numbers.

but i see you are set to complain in your recent posts so by all means, go ahead :)