Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Applying for US Social Secuity - Online - a Pleasant Experience

Hi Everyone...especially US expats, thought I'd share with you my very pleasant experience of applying for Social Secuity retirement benefits this week.

I am full time in the DR now and was worried about how to go about applying but the new online application process for expats made the process very smooth and easy. I had all the information they requested right at hand and my earnings estimate could be reviewed online to be sure it was accurate. The online app took about 30 minutes and the next day I received a call from "my" SS claim representative, who left a message on my cell. I returned the call on Skype...direct to her desk phone (no complicated phone menu system) and she was more than helpful and pleasant. Down right friendly. We went over some basics to verify that "I am me" and then I had to answer a couple of additional questions that weren't in the online application. Then I had to swear that I was telling the truth

Then she told me how much my monthly benefit would be and that the first payment would go into my US bank account by direct deposit on Oct 3. I turn 62 on August 22 so the first eligible month is September and the payment is a month behind.

They didn't even need a copy of my birth certificate since I'm a citizen born in the U.S.

So assuming all goes as planned, I'm done except for occasional paperwork to update my information.

Thought everyone would like to know.

Judy

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Judy,
    I don't know if the ss claim adjuster told you, but you can now have your monthly payment go directly to a Social Security MasterCard. You can use the card here at any ATM with a 3% out of country surcharge. This surcharge is direct from the Social Security Administration. It is a valid MasterCard and can be used for purchases just like a normal credit card. I use mine here and it is very convenient.

B in Santiago

3. Likes mike l liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, B in Santiago! She said there would be more info in a pamphet coming to me but this is good info to have!

5. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    Hello Judy,
    I don't know if the ss claim adjuster told you, but you can now have your monthly payment go directly to a Social Security MasterCard. You can use the card here at any ATM with a 3% out of country surcharge. This surcharge is direct from the Social Security Administration. It is a valid MasterCard and can be used for purchases just like a normal credit card. I use mine here and it is very convenient.

B in Santiago
    I was wondering what SS was going to do since they went paperless for all that are eligible that no longer have a bank account in the U.S.

The Mastercard option sounds great but I am not eligible for a decade but now I know how I will receive my benefits if I live that long or become permantley disabled.

7. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Direct Express

This tells you what you need to know about the card.

9. Likes waytogo, mike l liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are all so nice ... forget what everyone else says I was reluctant to post my experience since I was worried that everyone already knew everything... But your additional information is very helpful! Thank you!

Judy

11. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sky, right on the money as usual. It is Direct Express......and it works.....

B in Santiago

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Mrs. Alba is good there in SDQ at the Embassy federal benefits unit. Very helpful.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the dole. May you live long and prosper.

15. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Judy for sharing this information, I had no idea you can do it online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast