Applying for US Social Secuity - Online - a Pleasant Experience

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hi Everyone...especially US expats, thought I'd share with you my very pleasant experience of applying for Social Secuity retirement benefits this week.

I am full time in the DR now and was worried about how to go about applying but the new online application process for expats made the process very smooth and easy. I had all the information they requested right at hand and my earnings estimate could be reviewed online to be sure it was accurate. The online app took about 30 minutes and the next day I received a call from "my" SS claim representative, who left a message on my cell. I returned the call on Skype...direct to her desk phone (no complicated phone menu system) and she was more than helpful and pleasant. Down right friendly. We went over some basics to verify that "I am me" and then I had to answer a couple of additional questions that weren't in the online application. Then I had to swear that I was telling the truth :)

Then she told me how much my monthly benefit would be and that the first payment would go into my US bank account by direct deposit on Oct 3. I turn 62 on August 22 so the first eligible month is September and the payment is a month behind.

They didn't even need a copy of my birth certificate since I'm a citizen born in the U.S.

So assuming all goes as planned, I'm done except for occasional paperwork to update my information.

Thought everyone would like to know.

Judy

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Hello Judy,
I don't know if the ss claim adjuster told you, but you can now have your monthly payment go directly to a Social Security MasterCard. You can use the card here at any ATM with a 3% out of country surcharge. This surcharge is direct from the Social Security Administration. It is a valid MasterCard and can be used for purchases just like a normal credit card. I use mine here and it is very convenient.

B in Santiago

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thanks, B in Santiago! She said there would be more info in a pamphet coming to me but this is good info to have!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hello Judy,
I don't know if the ss claim adjuster told you, but you can now have your monthly payment go directly to a Social Security MasterCard. You can use the card here at any ATM with a 3% out of country surcharge. This surcharge is direct from the Social Security Administration. It is a valid MasterCard and can be used for purchases just like a normal credit card. I use mine here and it is very convenient.

B in Santiago

I was wondering what SS was going to do since they went paperless for all that are eligible that no longer have a bank account in the U.S.

The Mastercard option sounds great but I am not eligible for a decade but now I know how I will receive my benefits if I live that long or become permantley disabled.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
You guys are all so nice ... forget what everyone else says :) I was reluctant to post my experience since I was worried that everyone already knew everything... But your additional information is very helpful! Thank you!

Judy

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Mrs. Alba is good there in SDQ at the Embassy federal benefits unit. Very helpful.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Judy I'm just about to follow the online process for my SS. What information did you need at hand while doing following this process? Thanks Phil

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I just applied on line a couple of months ago and the money is being deposited into my US account. It was easy, fast and certainly beats going to SD to file. No one should have to go to SD any more to get this done.

Bob K

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
You really only need information you already know but having your birth certificate handy helps and you should try to review your earning statement online to be sure it's correct, as well. Then you just need your bank routing and account numbers. And any information about marriages and divorces. I think that was it nless I forgot something. It was really just straightforward.

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
Congratulations Judy on your retirement. May you live healthy and happy for many many years on this beautiful jewel of the Caribbean.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Wow Judy, you were right. I just applied online and it took about 15 minutes. So simple I'm surprised the US government actually has a simple process in place that works. LOL Thanks again for your help. Phil

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think I'll get me some applesauce and an epsom salt bath while I wait for my check today!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is even easier to call 800-772-1213 They really do a great job in that office. Just wait to get a live person and they will take you through the process.