Advice for one month apartmnt-Sosua/Puerto Plata

juls

Jun 1, 2012
I am looking for some advice on a good place to rent for a month on the north coast. I am looking for something that is not too expensive because it is just going to be temp. I am looking for something for about a month and would like it to include utilities.
I have been looking on here as well as Trip Advisor but I am still undecided. I figured I would just pop on here and see if any of you wonderful posters had any suggestions or experiences? I am open to areas of Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete.

My main concerns are cleanliness and safety... internet and cable dont hurt though. MUST HAVE PRIVATE PARKING!!!
Thanks in advance...this is my first post so I am excited already. I have been reading for months and find DR1 so helpful...thought Id ask for some help myself.

Oh BTW... I am looking to rent as soon as Monday June 3

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You have a budget in mind? And what is Private Parking - behind gates?

One suggestion comes to mind is SosuaVacationRentals@ yahoo .com - they'll give you a monthly rate on studio, one bedroom, etc. Parking is secure. Sonia will answer your email. Very clean, very safe, wifi, cable.

juls

Jun 1, 2012
I know it sounds small but the budget would be 400-500 US for the month. I was looking online and found several that appear to be clean and have good reviews but when it comes to narrowing it down I am clueless.

With the parking yes, behind a gate would due. I am not interested in parking on the street. Considering I am not a local of where we would be I would like to sleep a little easier knowing the car is the least of my worries.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
In addition to the above-recommended complex, I'd look at Las Canas on La Mulata Road. It's on a hill away from both towns, but next to the best international school in the area, very safe, and the best non-resort pool in the area.

Another good choice would be El Colibri in Sosua.

If you look up Hispaniola Residencial, they have a number of apartments they rent out, usually to weekend or other short-timers, but may be able to give you a break for a month stay. Many of their units are quite nice.

All can be readily found online. Best of luck.

Just read your update. A budget that small will be challenging. All the spots I mentioned start at 500, fully furnished.

juls

Jun 1, 2012
The prblem with the palms is I was reading and it states adults only. I forgot to mention I will be traveling with my 7 yr old. He is not a run around child on the loose but of course he has to be aloud to be where I am. That is another reason internet is important... I home school.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Juls,

I think he was trying to get a sense of where you'll be getting a vehicle from during your time in DR. It is very, very expensive to import a vehicle in, unless you have residency and the vehicle meets certain requirements.

If you have a friend that's letting you borrow a car, or you're doing a month-long rental through an agency, then fine. Keep in mind a car rental for a vehicle safe enough to put your child in will likely cost far more than your apartment rental budget. But be careful. Also, make sure your (local DR) insurance has "casa de conductor" coverage, or you could be literally stuck in a jail while the parties figure out the repair costs.

Depending on where you live, you may find DR public transportation, such as it is, is surprisingly inexpensive. If you're paying for a vehicle, I'd try the taxi/publico/guagua/bus services and see how much you can save.

juls

Jun 1, 2012
I live in DR. I am on the west near the border and have decided I need some R&R. I own my vehicle so that is covered. I am just trying to find a nice place to relax not very far from the beach. I appreciate the help in the vehicle department though. I do understand where you are coming from.

juls

Jun 1, 2012
Well, thank you... still have not figured out the apartment situation though...hahaha

juant

May 9, 2012
I am looking for some advice on a good place to rent for a month on the north coast. I am looking for something that is not too expensive because it is just going to be temp. I am looking for something for about a month and would like it to include utilities.
I have been looking on here as well as Trip Advisor but I am still undecided. I figured I would just pop on here and see if any of you wonderful posters had any suggestions or experiences? I am open to areas of Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete.

My main concerns are cleanliness and safety... internet and cable dont hurt though. MUST HAVE PRIVATE PARKING!!!
Thanks in advance...this is my first post so I am excited already. I have been reading for months and find DR1 so helpful...thought Id ask for some help myself.

Oh BTW... I am looking to rent as soon as Monday June 3
Try looking at the webpage called homeaway.com. You can rent an apartment anywhere in the Dominican Republic specially in Puerto Plata and Sosua real cheap with all the features that you want.

juls

Jun 1, 2012
:ermm: Still no luck. I have looked there and so many other places. Either it is was out of my price range, they dont allow children or they dont get back to me.
I appreciate all the help but at this rate I my as well but a tent...

juls

Jun 1, 2012
Yes, I have looked there. I also have looked on TripAdvisor, airbnb, homeaway, dominican central, ready for dr...and so many more. I thought I found one today until they let me know they were going to charge me 150$ for the AC and 150$ for my son...nah!