La Victoria Prison, Santo Domingo vs La Isleta Prison Hospital in Moca

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
Hello,

Sadly I have a family member in La Victoria prison. He is charged with some very serious crimes and he has some mental disabilities. At La Victoria I had to buy him a cell ? bed. I also have to weekly run the gauntlet of scumbag corrupt criminal police officers to enter the prison to bring food and toiletries. It is a very bad place.

The lawyer wants to try to get him moved to the La Isleta Prison Hospital in Moca. He thinks conditions there might be better. I?m not so sure ... I suspect that the police who run the place are just as corrupt. I do know that if I have to provide him food like I do at la Victoria, it would be a 3 hour drive from Santo Domingo, each way, each week. The drive to La Victoria takes me about 45 minutes.

Does anyone have any experience/insights with La Isleta in Moca?

Thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sorry to hear you're going through that. While I don't have any first hand experience with either prisons I would think "La Isleta" would be a much better place as this is supposed to be one of the newer style prisons where the main focus is rehabilitation.

Inauguraci?n: Carcel Nueva en la Isleta - a set on Flickr

Now even though this is part of the new model a quick search did bring up several deaths that have occurred there - Inmate on inmate violence. As for the food it seems that they do give them food, but of course this is probably very low quality and apparently inmates are complaining that relatives are not allowed to bring them stuff. En la C?rcel Modelo de la Isleta hay problemas y quieren ocultarlo | ThonyGenao.com

Aug 21, 2007
While I cannot help you, this breaks my heart. I am sorry that you are strapped with providing for your family member to survive.

It makes me sad because I, too, have a family member in a maximum security prison in the US. He is there for life. He is now 74 years old. Has 3 fair meals a day, has had open heart surgery while in prison, and is treated medically for other problems. The prison is air conditioned. He has a "job".

Somehow, although this doesn't help you out and for that I am sorry, I have to say that life simply isn't fair.

Lindsey

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let him stay where he is. If he has money he will be better off in La Victoria.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The newer so called "model prisons" are much better than the older "fortalezas". None are nice, and I don't presume to
know how close your family member is, but if you can get him to Rafey in Santiago or San Felipe in Puerto Plata or Najayo as HB mentions....or the other "Centers for Rehabilitacion", he'll be better off.
Not to be crass or cold, but if it's a long sentence.....how long are you willing to sacrifice?
Nevertheless, they're all overcrowded, basic, ugly environments....but they're also micro communities and with
money, anything is possible inside.
(Kinda like outside).
Every new prison has at least 1 medical doctor for referrals and occasional dentist visits.

PM me for other info if you want.
Best of luck.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Check with your Embassy as well. I agree with much of the above but an Embassy security officer might be able to give you some more personal insight. Embassies can't intervene, of course, but they can make recommendations or offer suggestions based on a wealth of experience.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Embassy officers don't have a wealth of experience here, they change locations, countries, every two years, are transient, and generally are only looking to further their careers and pensions. They are bureaucrats.

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
Model Prison

The newer so called "model prisons" are much better than the older "fortalezas". None are nice, and I don't presume to
know how close your family member is, but if you can get him to Rafey in Santiago or San Felipe in Puerto Plata or Najayo as HB mentions....or the other "Centers for Rehabilitacion", he'll be better off.
Not to be crass or cold, but if it's a long sentence.....how long are you willing to sacrifice?
Nevertheless, they're all overcrowded, basic, ugly environments....but they're also micro communities and with
money, anything is possible inside.
(Kinda like outside).
Every new prison has at least 1 medical doctor for referrals and occasional dentist visits.

PM me for other info if you want.
Best of luck.

Is Najayo a "Model Prison". If not, what is the closest Model Prison to Santo Domingo?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Model Prisons are not necessarily better to be in. If you have money in La Victoria you can get anything you need. In a newer prison it will not be as easy.