Reasons You, a foreigner, want to Live in the DR?

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
I wonder what makes so many people, foreigners, decide to go live in the DR. I can understand retirement & receiving SS checks, but others?
I've never been so please share your expriences.

What would you work in to make a living? Besides teach english, how much does a teaching job get paid?

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
I'm just wondering. It's not that important the pay. I'm asking because so many teaching questions are posted here. Anyone here taught aboard?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I live in the DR because of the sun and make about $200-$400 per month as a teacher.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just couldn't resist the great drinking water, rice and beans everyday, AND..............
Being able to pick your nose in public and just blending in................lol

B in Santiago

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Stress free no, problem free no..But a different lifestyle yes.. It is pretty simple for me. Is it easy no but it has many benefits. The beautiful beaches, people, the food. Sitting on my patio at night feeling the ocean breeze with a cool (adult) beverage in hand, priceless. Learning to accept the concept of "it is what it is" My son is getting a good education (I think so) at a reasonable price. I might complain about it (just like I would anywhere else) but would I trade it, NO. Lucky enough to do freelance medical billing (US) from home.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I am hoping to work as an English teacher in Santo Domingo. Reasons are I feel very much alive in DR even with all it's problems. I love that I'm learning a new language and culture. The human connections I've made feel authentic even when they might be scamming. It's a place full of contradictions and I find that fascinating.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I am hoping to work as an English teacher in Santo Domingo. Reasons are I feel very much alive in DR even with all it's problems. I love that I'm learning a new language and culture. The human connections I've made feel authentic even when they might be scamming. It's a place full of contradictions and I find that fascinating.

You will need to have your own income because the rent is twice that of the wages you will earn as a teacher in the capitol.

This is not Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville (with lyrics) - YouTube

Windyguy is correct and the party is in Sosua this weekend !

Jimmy Buffett - Cheeseburger In Paradise - YouTube

Burgers and Bands !

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
The music and latin / caribbean culture is wonderful...and as a part time musician who always found Buffet benign but mildly annoying...I can now say with all confidence Buffet is a complete socio-carib poser whose sophomoric (all be it american country music) pinings have about about as much to do with the vibe, soul and heart of the caribbean as pino coladas from a machine at the pool bar. Well suited for the punta cana resort perhaps or more appropriatly fort lauderdale beach, but not even in the same league as the treasures found in merengue bachata and the many diverse tropo laced musical forms passionatly embraced in the daily lives of dominicans of all ages.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Many reasons, simpler life, contact with nature, poeple... Actually, just to be back to normal and essentials instead of materials...

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Came here for the weather, you don't have to shovel it. Could retire here at 55 but doubt I could retire in the states at 70. The people are good, the price is right. An ocean breeze most of the time. Its a simple life here. Reminds me of when I was a child. AND I still have access to techie stuff when I want to. No more 80 hour work weeks.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
The music and latin / caribbean culture is wonderful...and as a part time musician who always found Buffet benign but mildly annoying...I can now say with all confidence Buffet is a complete socio-carib poser whose sophomoric (all be it american country music) pinings have about about as much to do with the vibe, soul and heart of the caribbean as pino coladas from a machine at the pool bar. Well suited for the punta cana resort perhaps or more appropriatly fort lauderdale beach, but not even in the same league as the treasures found in merengue bachata and the many diverse tropo laced musical forms passionatly embraced in the daily lives of dominicans of all ages.

Not in the same league how ? Do you mean lyrically ? or musically ? or both ?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0gC29ArkGG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some people move to the DR because of enchanting vacation experiences. Some become disenchanted and don't last.

I had enchanting vacation experiences and had been plotting an offshore move for years. I was around the track enough to know that vacation fun doesn't translate well into real life.

For me there are advantages and disadvantages to living here and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

No snow, good food, healthy lifestyle, very little contact with the increasing police state that the US is becoming, satisfying social life, free dogs (hahaha)

I could go on and on but it's time for walkies for my wolf pack.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I will have to make sure we don't play any Jimmy Buffet tonight if you show up at the JR! Are Santana and Tom Petty OK?

I do get your point about different styles of music and agree that just because something is popular, does not mean it is also good. For me as a musician, listening to guitar based merengue is maddening. That same two chords over and over and over and over.. I am fine with the Dominican Blues aka Bachata.

I relocated to the DR because it was a reasonable choice when looking for a warm place to retire.

Dec 26, 2011
You wake up in the morning to sunshine, the women scrubbing their floors and sweeping the lavender-scented mistolin water into the street while they listen to Ana Gabriel or Jose Jose. The coffee's always good. The girls are always good for a smile and maybe more. No one has any money but there's always money to drink. Arroz con g(u)andules and carne guisada for lunch beats subway and mcd's anyday. That'll take you to about 2pm. Take a nap. Wake up. Things just get better from there into the evening. No junk mail. No telemarketers.