Would love some advise in many areas

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
I've been toying with the idea of moving to a beach in a few different countries and like a few things about the DR. 1. Foreign investor friendly 2. Easy to stay extended periods 3. Prices

I've posted here before, but it was premature as I wasn't really ready to actually go ahead and start making real plans. Mu goal is to move to the DR in September sometime (if this is a bad time, please let me know also).

What I'm looking for in a perfect world?

1. High(ish) end condo/penthouse/house in gated community on or very close to a beach with ocean view
2. Some sort of nature/wild life/golf course etc for a backyard or very close
3. Fun! I'm a single guy looking to come live down there, possibly start a company. Honestly would love to be in an area close to a beautiful white beach with crystal clear water and lots of chicks :)

My rental budget would be around $1500/m on the high end. If I can find something closer to $800...even better. I'm open to different types of places, mainly looking for location and quality. I'd like something that would be considered luxury. Granite counters, beautiful kitchen/bathrooms etc.

Also, I work online so reliable high-speed internet is essential and I'm really not sure how to go about that or how much it would cost.

I've read through the forums and have seem many similar posts, but bits and pieces of what I'm looking for and still haven't found a good place to search for rental. How should I go about buying a plane ticket if I intend to stay there for a very long time (a year or more?). Should I buy it as thought I'll be staying for 3 months? I think this is the allowed length of stay, before paying an exit fine? If I buy a ticket with a return date beyond this period will they not let me in the country?

Any advise/tips/links would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to set up a budget and make sure my ducks are in a row. looking to get serious about it and need to figure out where I'm going and how to go about it.

Thanks!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might have to rethink your rental budget....the closer to the water and golf you go, the more expensive it gets. Plus you need "reliable, high-speed, internet access" another limitation as to where you can locate.

Let's see what the folks here have to say. Good luck..

HB

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
Thanks. I'm open to different rental options, even if it's just a one bedroom. If I have to use some sort of dual internet provider solution, that's fine too but I have no idea how to go about that sort of thing. Where I live now, you basically have one provider per source. ie: dsl vs cable. Not sure... but don't think you could use 2 providers for the same type.

Also.. just to add to the 'Fun' part. It would be nice to have touristy things to do such as para-sailing, scuba diving, yacht rental, horse back riding, access to safe beaches where I can have a romantic evening without too much worry. Stuff like that

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
On the plane ticket, I can tell you two things.

1. Most airlines won't allow you to purchase a round trip ticket with a return a year out. I think the limit is slightly less than a year. If you are planning to stay longer than a year, purchase a one way to the DR and a full-fare return that you can cancel and get your money refunded. Flying to the DR on a one-way without proof of a return ticket is taking a chance. The airline might refuse to allow you to board without a return, but sometimes you aren't questioned.

2. You can purchase a round-trip ticket with a return date longer than the 30 days that the tourist card is currently valid. The period of validity has changed from 90 days to 30.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Living in paradise is very different from visiting paradise. I visited the D.R. and never got more than a few blocks from the beach for the first several years which was great for visits but now that I live there (part time) I find being in the center of the capitol much more practical and handy to almost everything. The D.R. is an island, you're never far from a beach. (or a mountain)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You may want to look at Ocean Dream or Ocean 1 in Caberete. This should fit most of your requirments.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Looks for me that Miami South Beach will fit you perfectly. Just the budget don't fit

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You may want to look at Ocean Dream or Ocean 1 in Caberete. This should fit most of your requirments.

I would second that recommendation based upon your initial criteria. Not close to a golf course, but you could learn to Kite Surf.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Cabarete sounds like the place your looking for Ocean Dream or Ocean 1 you can get a nice apartment for 800 Golf course you have Playa Grande course about 35 -45 minutes east !

Rent a room for 1week in a hotel close to were you want to explore. Then you use this week to find a even better place to stay. Extend your stay after you have found a new place you would like to live for a long time.

If you do this, you can visit the other longtime rental places yourself, and see how it looks like. It is always very easy to get great rates when you visit in person, because the renters knows very well there is thousands of vacant apartments down here.

To sign a longtime rental contract, when you just have seen the place from a webpage is a very bad idea. There is plenty of small frustrating elements here on this rock, you will need a comfortable place to live and recharge you batteries when the day is over.

Just my 2peso.

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I've contacted a couple people who deal with Ocean One/Dream and Millennium. One was much more helpful than the other.

2 bdr at Ocean Dream is $1600/m for long term. Is it standard/acceptable to barter on the prices at all?

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We're lucky & are renting a 3 bedroom/2 bath house with pool for $450.00 a month.

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
I've been noticing most of the pictures I see in the area are kite surfers, I don't see anyone swimming. Are the waters no good for snorkeling? Thought I read somewhere there is a reef, do people go scuba diving there or are you just asking to get run over by a kite surfer?

/ps current update... working on making a deal with a couple different agents for Ocean One and Ocean Dream. The only other place I found similar was millennium, but honestly don't like the furnishings for the price.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Cabarete or Sosua sounds like the best location for you. Make sure you shop around to look at various condos. Ocean Point 1 is nice but so is Cabarete East, Velero Beach and loads of other condos in Cabarete. There are many condos empty so you should be able to negotiate a very nice rate. Never pay what they are asking until you do your homework.