New Tourist Attraction In Santo Domingo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Since recently, there is a new tourists attraction! The Tourism Office in Santo Domingo now offers to those interested a tour along the route dictator Trujillo passed by the last hours of his life on May 30, 1961. It is 51 years since the tyrant of the Dominican Republic, the man who was responsible for so many murders and who abused so many women and girls was killed in an attack. The trip lasts three hours in which the tourist is guided by a driver in clothing from the 60s and in a similar car in which the goat, because this is what Trujillo was called by the population, was shot dead. The tour includes a visit to the Museum of Dominican Resistance where Trujillo?s car with the bullet holes and other attributes from the time of Trujillo are displayed.[/h]
[h=5]With this tour, 'Ruta del Chivo' (Route of the Bok) tourists are given the opportunity to get acquainted with the most turbulent period in Dominican history.[/h]

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That should be "ROUTE OF THE GOAT" .....An interesting option of the macabre.

HB

Zulu

May 27, 2012
Think i will pass on that on that one & just wait for the movie to come out on HD

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I would do it, not with my kids this would be an adult only thing i am sure... but when were visited this year my fiance mother told us how he was not really killed that day and supposedly fled to Spain or somewhere... rumor or fact? She said a great-granddaughter came to the press with photos showing him alive and well years later and wanted to set the record straight. I have no clue as this was what she told us so dont bash me! lol

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
From the DR1 Travel News.

New tour unfolds the dark side of Trujillo
A new tour, The Route of the Goat (La Ruta del Chivo) is available on weekends to introduce Dominicans and foreigners alike to the dark side of Dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo. Dictator Trujillo was covertly known as "el Chivo," for the sexual prowess he himself boasted about. On Saturdays (mornings and afternoons) and Sundays (9am to noon), visitors will take the tour in cars from the 1950s and 60s. The guides accompany the tourists inside the vehicles. The weekend tour costs US$100 per person.

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the tour is in a mini-bus with a US$35 per person cost.
The tour starts at Avenida del Puerto with the route continuing to the Memorial Museum of Resistance at 236 Arzobispo Nouel Street in the Colonial City. After visiting the museum, tourists again board the vehicles and are taken to see the busts of Juan Tomas Diaz and Antonio de la Maza off Ave. Independencia; they pass the Presidential Palace, Plaza de la Cultura (passing the site of Trujillo's home), down to the Ministry of Foreign Relations (formerly a Trujillo seafront hacienda), the 14 June Monument to the heroes of the resistance, and the Centro de los Heroes government center, where Trujillo celebrated his world fair, Feria de la Paz y Confraternidad del Mundo Libre. The last stop is at the site where a monument commemorates the spot where the dictator was assassinated on 30 May 1961.
For bookings, contact Edwin Aristy on 809 847-0543 or email earisty@raices.com.do