Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107

Thread: Strange expat comminity in Bavaro

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Strange expat comminity in Bavaro

    My husband and I have been traveling to Bavaro for the past few years. Seems like a nice community with lots of interesting people. We purchased property on our trips, made some nice friends, and as I am so close to retirement, I thought It would be a great idea to live here full time as I can be close to my mother and brothers.

    . What seems strange to me is that it looked as if everyone was happyband enjoying the carlibbean life when I used to visit, but now everyone we meet is constantly complaining about life in Dominican Republic. Not just complaining but it seems that everyone has a story behind them, nwhich most of the time seems to me that it is just gossip.

    I see it reflected on this board as well, people write comments and some other person jumps in with a nasty comment or some sort of insult.

    I am beginning tobthink Bavaro is just not the ideal place for our retirement. If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening about how corrupt we are and what a mess this place is. Yes it may be, but why don't you just go back home to your organized country? Why live in misery?

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have you ever found yourself in the midst of any community where the individual members are wholly content with their lot in life? You've just gone from the honeymoon phase to the next step in the relationship.

  3. Likes curlando, kampinge, frank12 liked this post
  4. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No, I have never been in a community where a gringo comes to my home, at my dinner table, in my country to tell me we are cueros and corrupt. We have lived in cities and small towns in the US. Never seen anything like this.

    Bueno, at least I am home and close to my family.

  5. Likes Softail, Aguaita29, 21yearsinDR liked this post
  6. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Avoid Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Maribeldiaz70 View Post
    If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening (...)
    Well, stay away from expats and just stick with your family and you'll be happy for evermore.
    Problem solved.

    donP

  7. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maribeldiaz70 View Post
    I am beginning tobthink Bavaro is just not the ideal place for our retirement. If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening about how corrupt we are and what a mess this place is. Yes it may be, but why don't you just go back home to your organized country? Why live in misery?
    If you like to live in a mostly expat community than this is part of daily life. Why don't you choose an area where only happy Dominicans are living?

  8. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    thats what we are doing, butbwe didnt come here to hide in our home. My husband is american and I would like him to have some sort of friends. Thanks for your input, Don. Sounds like you love it here.

  9. Likes sylindr liked this post
  10. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mido, I am not saying we are all happy, but I dont know, I think some sort of respect is in order when you invite people to your home. I never went to anyones house in The u.s. to talk about how bad the americans are...all day long.

    Just curious as to why evryone is here and so miserable.

  11. Likes frank12 liked this post
  12. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maribeldiaz70 View Post
    Just curious as to why evryone is here and so miserable.
    There are several reasons. One certainly is when foreigners come to the DR as tourists they receive a warm welcome, not only because they spend money but Dominicans just seem to be super friendly at the first impression. Everything they look at is through a "nice" filter and things appear a lot better than they really are. Many of these expats decide to quickly to move down here because of that and then with time reality sets in. There are some real happy expats here, too. You will meet some...

  13. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maribeldiaz70 View Post
    Mido, I am not saying we are all happy, but I dont know, I think some sort of respect is in order when you invite people to your home. I never went to anyones house in The u.s. to talk about how bad the americans are...all day long.

    Just curious as to why evryone is here and so miserable.
    If you're saying these individuals are critical of certain actions and policies of the US government you shouldn't take that personally. It may be that you simply hold different views on the subject and they're more vocal than you're comfortable with. If they're calling you and your husband "cueros and corrupt" that's another matter entirely.


  14. #10
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The right friends

    Quote Originally Posted by Maribeldiaz70 View Post
    Thanks for your input, Don. Sounds like you love it here.
    Tremendously, yes.
    Gossip and exchanging experiences is part of socializing.

    Just make sure that your husband meets newcomers only, they normally go head over heels about the Dominican culture.
    The problem is you'll have to find new friends for him as time progresses...

    Anyway, should we meet, I promise the only subject would be German beer ...

    donP

  15. Likes LaMorena, MikeFisher liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •