Travel notice

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
This probably will not be news to North Coast regulars. The road block that is occasionally set up just west of Rio San Juan to rob motorists was manned yesterday by a really nasty b@stard.
We were on our way to Samana airport when we came around the corner and sure enough there was the road block. There was a soldier there and this dickhead gesturing at us to stop. My vote was to drive by and wave at them, but the driver stopped. This @sshole came over yelling for ID, etc. We all shrugged,"no comprendo, we're tourists. Well that set the guy off, and he screamed at us with his head right in the window until the driver finally had enough and handed him three hundred pesos. That wasn't good enough he was demanding dollars. That prompted a bunch of f#ck you replies from us. Good thing his head wasn't in the window when we peeled outta there.
Usually they're so polite and some even say thanks. This guy didn't have any uniform and didn't identify himself as the police.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Odd, I've never seen anything in that location and I travel from Cabrera to Sosua frequently.

How far west? Close to Sarah Garcia's property?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Four years of driving it....

I'll keep an eye open but I rarely stop for those things.
I see them more in the Nagua direction..... and never stop, just slow and mouth a greeting while nodding and waving.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The a**holes should be recorded (iphones, etc) taking bribes and then post these criminal acts online. There must be some site already dedicated to this sort of thing, if not lets start one!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Seldom to I stop but when I do stop I simply play stupid (not really an act) telling them I do not understand Spanish. I've had a few of them over the years try to get nasty but I just bark right back in English and drive off. After a decade of living here I've figured out how to get past them with zero issues thus far.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
that happen to me and my cousin when we was heading from santodomingo to pop and thats why i always keep my money in my bag and carry 20 in my pocket i gave them 200 pasos and my cousin gave another guy 14 us because he had all his money in a envelope. i just play along with them and they will treat you good when you do. they just want money for some food thats all

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We flew into Samana last Sat. & the same thing happened to us but our cab driver just talked to the guy & he waved us on. I'm not sure what would have happened if it was only us.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I drove from POP to Samana a few months back and we saw a check point but they just looked inside they SUV and waved us through. What do they say to you when they want money?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
how does bus travel work? Need bribes for that too?

Enough already, have you ever even been to DR?
The big coach style buses, like Caribe Tours or Metro you buy a ticket and board on a schedule.
Gua-Guas you just get on and have exact change.
You seem to be looking to find trouble based on your last 67 posts.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I drove from POP to Samana a few months back and we saw a check point but they just looked inside they SUV and waved us through. What do they say to you when they want money?

We've been stopped more times than I can remember at check points. They usually just look at us, say hello, then wave us on. Once in awhile they ask Mr. AE where he's going. When I'm alone, I put a puzzled look on my face and speak to them in English, and they wave me to leave.

We've been stopped at toll booths and asked to pull over to complete a survey - Mr. AE says we're tourists and they wave us on.

Only ONCE, and I swear only once in 35+ years, did a guy pull us over and say it was his birthday, and he already had a bottle, but needed a cake. Mr. AE gave him some pesos and we were on our way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The point that I get from you, AE , is the same way that I operate.

Most times, the problems lies with the ' Stoppee', not the 'Stopper'.

Just roll with it....
Usually the conversation is just that - conversation.

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Enough already, have you ever even been to DR?
The big coach style buses, like Caribe Tours or Metro you buy a ticket and board on a schedule.
Gua-Guas you just get on and have exact change.
You seem to be looking to find trouble based on your last 67 posts.
My favorite sycophant. The discussion concerns highway robbery, it's only logical to ask what vehicles can get thru. I was going to ask what happens to motor scooters? Or are these just expensive cars that get stopped. Or just white faces.....Dont be so sensitive little fellah.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
My favorite sycophant. The discussion concerns highway robbery, it's only logical to ask what vehicles can get thru. I was going to ask what happens to motor scooters? Or are these just expensive cars that get stopped. Or just white faces.....Dont be so sensitive little fellah.
Problem is you sound like you have never been here, driven here, stopped here...
Why the questions, what kind of vehicle are you driving, which is your normal route?