Large water heaters?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Why are there no water heaters like in US houses here? All I have seen are 12 gallon things inside a cupboard.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Why are there no water heaters like in US houses here? All I have seen are 12 gallon things inside a cupboard.

Then you are living in the lower class areas if that has been your experience. Larger 40 and 50 gallon water heaters along with the on-demand type of water heaters are very common in the middle class and up houses that I have seen here. Go to Ochoa and see what is available. They carry the Bradford White brand from the US. Can't very well fill up a jucuzzi with one of those 8 gallon criolla jobs.

Get out of the ghetto ace, quit slumming.

Dec 26, 2011
One theory would be that they're bulky and heavy. They'd be imported so that would make the freight on such an item exorbitant. Tankless water heaters are more efficient anyway and would fit unobtrusively on a wall or in a cabinet.

Or you can get used to showering and washing dishes without hot water.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd recommend an on-demand propane hot water heater - takes up almost no space and you only pay for what you use. We love ours.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I'd recommend an on-demand propane hot water heater - takes up almost no space and you only pay for what you use. We love ours.

That is what I am thinking of getting but I am not sure where in the water system of the house to put it.

Dec 26, 2011
That is what I am thinking of getting but I am not sure where in the water system of the house to put it.

Depends on if you buy a gas or electric type. The gas ones require venting so their placement is more critical. Next question is if it's "point of use" or for the whole house.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
It would be for the entire house, the thing is the bomba feeds to a tinaco on the roof. I guess I will have to put the heater on the roof with a line going down to the cylinder.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Depends on if you buy a gas or electric type. The gas ones require venting so their placement is more critical. Next question is if it's "point of use" or for the whole house.

Ours is propane/gas, and does not require venting. It is only for the bathroom. Next trip we plan to install a second one for the kitchen.

Dec 26, 2011
It would be for the entire house, the thing is the bomba feeds to a tinaco on the roof. I guess I will have to put the heater on the roof with a line going down to the cylinder.

Would it be exposed to the weather? Check to make sure that's ok for the model you're considering.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How much propane does it use? In a month

Well, we used ours daily for two months, two of us every day, guests every weekend, plus daughter and 2 grandsons for 10 days, and we never had to refill the little tank. When I say little, it's one like we use for our gas grill in the US, is that 20 lb?

One important thing - the gas would not fire unless there was electricity for the pump. Pressure from the tinaco wasn't strong enough. Several times we ran the generator to take a shower.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The on demand goes close to where it is used.. bathroom/kitchen/etc.

It needs a certain water pressure to activate it.... check that out.

This is a very SIMPLE procedure - they all know it.
Call a plumber.

Our house when running for 2 - uses one large tank a month +/-
Kitchen, showers...

They are very economical - that is their reason for existence.
They only use propane 'on demand' -- they do not keep a large tank hot all day, every day.

You have a lot of studying to do.

Its easy.... reads up

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Tons of rooms in the house have a hot water tap. Downstairs is the kitchen, laundry room, maid's room with her bathroom and a powder room. On the 2nd floor there are 3 bedrooms each with their own bathroom.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Tons of rooms in the house have a hot water tap. Downstairs is the kitchen, laundry room, maid's room with her bathroom and a powder room. On the 2nd floor there are 3 bedrooms each with their own bathroom.

I believe you originally asked about Large tanks available here - I've seen them here in SD at the Cuesta Ferreteria. as others have mentioned the downside is going to be how you power it - gas or electric.

Elec, 24hr/7 days = a large elec bill, and why keep all that water hot all the time.

Atop the neighboring hotel is a system of solar hot water heaters, appearing to be of the thermo-siphon type (no pump required), a system you might also want to consider.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
With solar, you still need a backup system.

Cold showers on rainy days just aggravate a bad situation.

Trainman, 1 unit per floor will fine. IMO