Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Police Kills a Young Haitian

Sosúa / Villas Ana Maria
    A young Haitian was killed by a police patrol on Saturday (around 7 a.m.).
    They say he was followed because he was trying to rob at a house....
    The man was unarmed.

Patrulla policial mata supuesto delincuente en sosua

I do hope, the man was not just a gardener on his way to work...

donP

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

To bad some people choose to steal from others. In my eyes it is one thief less to worry about. But it does not mean i like it.

3. Likes Tor liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trigger Happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus_Rattus View Post
    In my eyes it is one thief less to worry about.
    Dear 'Rat',
    We do not know whether the victim really was a thief.
    In fact it is unlikely, at 7 a.m. many Haitians are on their way to work...
    In this case the police obviously was not confronted and IMO there was no need to kill.

donP

5. Likes sabra, mido, wuarhat, waytogo, Givadogahome and 3 others liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

More likely, he was Haitian in the Dominican Republic where most people hate Haitians. He was almost like a Mexican who was in Texas or a young black man in Florida near Zimmerman or something like that. It was racism. Ok, at least the truth was said. Yes, it does sicken me what happened. He did not need to die if he was unarmed.

7. Likes Ezequiel, pollogringo liked this post
    Dislikes Jumbo, Tor disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

gringobachata7 writes: More likely, he was Haitian in the Dominican Republic where most people hate Haitians. He was almost like a Mexican who was in Texas or a young black man in Florida near Zimmerman or something like that. It was racism. Ok, at least the truth was said. Yes, it does sicken me what happened. He did not need to die if he was unarmed---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A lot of assumptions. You may be correct or you may be entirely wrong. Most Dominican don't hate Haitians either, certainly not the ones I known.

9. Likes Givadogahome liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donP View Post
    Dear 'Rat',
    We do not know whether the victim really was a thief.
    In fact it is unlikely, at 7 a.m. many Haitians are on their way to work...
    In this case the police obviously was not confronted and IMO there was no need to kill.

donP
    When the police shot him, he had just broken into a local restaurant owner's house where he was disturbed by the owner. He ran out and and was "Shot" while trying to break in to a second home. He was in possesion of a large butcher knife that he had stolen from the first home. He lived with a group of Haitians nearby. Hope it sets an example and scares the others off. No pity from me. Kudos to the cops.

11. Likes barker1964, j&t's future, Tor liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't read Matilda's Blog on this subject [Haitians in DR], take a few minutes....

What about your saucepans?: X is for Xenophobia

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=gringobachata7;1097898]More likely, he was Haitian in the Dominican Republic where most people hate Haitians. He was almost like a Mexican who was in Texas or a young black man in Florida near Zimmerman or something like that. It was racism. [QUOTE]

When you throw that word around without any knowledge of what really happenend (in any of those cases) all you do is keep it alive and well in society.

Sure, racism does exist. But you should get the facts first.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Police are trigger happy in the DR. I remember one day I was taking a nap and was woken up by about 5 shots which sounded like they came from my neighbor's house. When I went to look on the street a couple of lots down the cops were rounding up Haitians and one of them had ran away. The reason that they were rounded up was because the cops needed the Haitians to do some construction work on their cuartel and the guy they were shooting at was not going to work for free. Luckily they didn't hit him and nobody else either, there were a lot of kids around.

15. Likes pollogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion, you have a right to yours, I do respect that. I just think there is a lot of racism towards haitians in the DR and a haitian is more likely to get shot than anyone else but I could be wrong and I respect your opinion. It just seems suspect to me everytime a Haitian is shot in the DR by the DR police. Maybe I am wrong.

17. Likes pollogringo liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast