garmin gps maps

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I just recieved my Garmin 3790LMT GPS for the purpose of using in the DR. Does anyone know the best way to get the best Garmin maps? (I would want turn by turn directions) I am willing to pay full price, but would not mind sharing the cost or maybe there are shareware maps out there.

I appreciate any response or PM.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I just recieved my Garmin 3790LMT GPS for the purpose of using in the DR. Does anyone know the best way to get the best Garmin maps? (I would want turn by turn directions) I am willing to pay full price, but would not mind sharing the cost or maybe there are shareware maps out there.

I appreciate any response or PM.
Several Cel. phone shops also do GPS. I had mine done in Sosua. (Decent map)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How good is their map of the DR? One reason I've held off purchasing a GPS is lack of a whole-country map...

A friend of mine came from Sosua to Bavaro and could not get close to finding the hotel he was looking for with his GPS. It is most likely good for SD and maybe Santiago, but for the rest of the country I doubt it.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
here's another I have used in the past, also free.

Free worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

it's a little more complicated to use, but I like their maps better.

Basically, you select "Dominican Republic" under the "North America" header in the center of the page, then enter your email in the box on the left, then select "build my map" under the box where you entered your email.

They send you an email when your map is ready, with a link.

Look carefully at the choices: you want the zip file that is for the "micro SD chip" (it's the sixth file on the link I received)

Click on it, and it should download to your computer. unzip it, and copy it to the "Garmin" directory on your Micro SD chip.

THIS IS REAL IMPORTANT

The microchip you insert in your garmin MUST HAVE a directory that's named "garmin" - if you copy the gmasupp file directly to the chip, IT WON'T WORK.

You have to create the garmin directory first, then copy the gmasupp file to that directory.

(I can't believe I'm doing this again)

How do they compare to http://www.la-hispaniola.com map? I downloaded their 3.30 version yesterday and tested it out on my Garmin 1450LMT. Down sides of that map was lack of name on some of the streets, too few POIs and it tried to routing me to one way streets. Other than above mentioned it worked pretty well. All the roads were there and routed me home faster then my usual route.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
here's another I have used in the past, also free.

Free worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

it's a little more complicated to use, but I like their maps better.

Well, I did all the steps except copy it to an SD chip.

I already have a Dominican map and will wait until I can load this new one on another chip to compare against the one I am using now.

I need to check the up-zip size also to see the size difference.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks JD,

... will try to save you a Root Beer soda before Barry gets them all from Nacional.

D in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!

JDJones' map is like 3 times the size of the Hispaniola map......

Now where is my spare SD chip..... :bandit: lol

I may have to save you two Root Beers.....

D in Santiago

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I posted a map that I bought a few years ago, it has POIs and turn by turn directions, try to find the link.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!

JDJones' map is like 3 times the size of the Hispaniola map......

Now where is my spare SD chip..... :bandit: lol

I may have to save you two Root Beers.....

D in Santiago
OK...
Now you made me download it.
I knew about the site but I was looking for better one since i saw their map from website. it don't have many streets in some cities mapped (ie Moca).
I'll check it out and see how it goes.

wp3gi

Oct 30, 2010
I have a different map that may interest you guys but I can't post it here. Send me a PM if you want more info.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Forget buying any maps!!!! Go to gmaps,get the coordinates of all the POI you wanna go to and enter the coordinates on the gps(YOU CAN SAVE UP TO 500) By not downloading a map,you won't see the street name but the road,but who cares,it takes you door to door.The map from gpstravel maps is not bad,has most major cities.I got a refund from them because it didn't have Las Matas de Farfan.

papinice88

Jul 20, 2007
thank you all. Has anyone tried this one Dominican Republic GPS Map - GPSTravelMaps.com

Could it be worth $50? What if you have two different maps for the DR on your SD card (in the garmin folder) , how do you choose which one to use?

I purchases the gpstravelmaps I downloaded the map from there website into my garmin device it was worth 49.99 I travel from the airport in Santiago to monte cristi it worked well

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I purchases the gpstravelmaps I downloaded the map from there website into my garmin device it was worth 49.99 I travel from the airport in Santiago to monte cristi it worked well

For that trip, one does not even need a GPS or even a map, it's a pretty straight forward trip.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Guess I will have to give JD's Root Beers to WP3GI..... :rambo: lol

Thanks again Jos? for the map.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
This is the second time you've offered that map, and it's a beautiful one. It's a small file, but very precise and packed with info.

And yes, I believe it has all of the small towns too. (Koreano, think Moca)

If the folks on here haven't contacted you yet, they don't know what they're missing!!

DonP, this is half the size of the one you were impressed by in my post, but it's got much, much more information.

Thank you, wp3gi, I owe ya a cold one!

I cant get the link that wp3gi sent me to open :( It seem multiupload is down? Can anyone send me a new link?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This is the second time you've offered that map, and it's a beautiful one. It's a small file, but very precise and packed with info.

And yes, I believe it has all of the small towns too. (Koreano, think Moca)

If the folks on here haven't contacted you yet, they don't know what they're missing!!

DonP, this is half the size of the one you were impressed by in my post, but it's got much, much more information.

Thank you, wp3gi, I owe ya a cold one!

Oh my god that map is awesome!!!
It's way better then the one that other posted earlier. It also have several streets missing like others but this actually have very informative and correct POIs. This map is definitely keeper.