Villa rental reservation requires full payment AND deposit in advance???

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
I found a beautiful villa in jarabacoa listed on homeaway.com; however, I'm no one's fool. Although the owner was willing to break the two day minimum rule, I can't see myself sending someone payment and deposit before check-in using the most unsecured process, bank wire. Also, I did my due diligence and property with reviews only on home away.com and its subsidiaries and a Facebook fan page does not give me enough confidence. Honestly it appears to be some kid trying to make a business out of renting his parent's property. I don't see a problem with it but I need more information before I take a leap and make any sort of payment.

If you guys know anything or had any experience please let me know Jarabacoa vacation villa rental: Villa Leti: Relaxing Deluxe Villa Overlooking Jarabacoa' s Mountain valley.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Unfortunately I cannot speak to this specific property but it is common practice to collect all payments in advance. I have been renting a property here for over a decade. I consistently require 50% of the rental amount to secure the reservation and full payment of all monies due 45 days prior to arrival. It's pretty obvious there are several good reasons for this.

Check Flipkey.com for the property. This is TripAdvisor's site for vacation rentals and seems to be very tightly run as opposed to TripAdvisor itself which is pretty sloppy. Homeaway.com is another great place as is VRBO.com although those two sites are operated by the same company.

From reviewing the ad on Homeaway.com the property does seem to be quite nice. The reviews from Sto Domingo look reasonable as many from that city weekend in Jarabacoa so they can cool off. The property is listed on a number of other websites as well and all of those cost money...seems legit from my perspective.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
Unfortunately I cannot speak to this specific property but it is common practice to collect all payments in advance. I have been renting a property here for over a decade. I consistently require 50% of the rental amount to secure the reservation and full payment of all monies due 45 days prior to arrival. It's pretty obvious there are several good reasons for this.

Check Flipkey.com for the property. This is TripAdvisor's site for vacation rentals and seems to be very tightly run as opposed to TripAdvisor itself which is pretty sloppy. Homeaway.com is another great place as is VRBO.com although those two sites are operated by the same company.

From reviewing the ad on Homeaway.com the property does seem to be quite nice. The reviews from Sto Domingo look reasonable as many from that city weekend in Jarabacoa so they can cool off. The property is listed on a number of other websites as well and all of those cost money...seems legit from my perspective.

Thanks for your perspective, Castellamonte. Although I am interested, I've never heard of someone requesting deposit for incidentals and fuill amount of in advance. I've stayed at many villas in DR and typically the full amount is given in advance and the deposit for incidentals is provided upon arrival. I guess having a phone conversation will the owner well help me to mull things over and and make a decision.

I've read some not so pleasant experiences as well from Homeaway.com (renter and property owners) users. The property is only showing up in Homeaway.com and partner sites. The Facebook fan page doesn't have any actual reviews, just people asking questions or commenting on how nice the property is.I hope a call with a few questions answered will help me out. To be continued...

Jan 17, 2009
Take a look at homeaway renting conditions/protection. I believe they even cover fraud. it's quite common for vacation rentals to ask for full payment upfront.

Flipkey does not offer the same level of coverage that homeaway does.

I found a beautiful villa in jarabacoa listed on homeaway.com; however, I'm no one's fool. Although the owner was willing to break the two day minimum rule, I can't see myself sending someone payment and deposit before check-in using the most unsecured process, bank wire. Also, I did my due diligence and property with reviews only on home away.com and its subsidiaries and a Facebook fan page does not give me enough confidence. Honestly it appears to be some kid trying to make a business out of renting his parent's property. I don't see a problem with it but I need more information before I take a leap and make any sort of payment.

If you guys know anything or had any experience please let me know Jarabacoa vacation villa rental: Villa Leti: Relaxing Deluxe Villa Overlooking Jarabacoa' s Mountain valley.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Although I am interested, I've never heard of someone requesting deposit for incidentals and fuill amount of in advance. I've stayed at many villas in DR and typically the full amount is given in advance and the deposit for incidentals is provided upon arrival.

I agree, it makes no sense to send a security deposit in advance: it's the owner's protection against damage to the property during your stay and you can't damage it without having arrived first! I wouldn't pay it until I have the key in my hand.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We rented in Santo Domingo twice, both times for a month at a time, while our home was being renovated. We paid the entire month up front, plus a half-month's security deposit, before setting foot inside, both times. Both times we got the security deposit back in full when we left.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
Take a look at homeaway renting conditions/protection. I believe they even cover fraud. it's quite common for vacation rentals to ask for full payment upfront.

Flipkey does not offer the same level of coverage that homeaway does.

I looked over their fraud protection insurance as well. However, VRBO and Homeaway are known to have poor customer service so I don't feel confident. Either (1) I'm thinking way to hard about this; or (2) I need to go with my gut feeling and find an alternative. Either way, 400 bucks isn't a great deal of money but certainly not a small amount to give away freely to a scammer.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
"I agree, it makes no sense to send a security deposit in advance: it's the owner's protection against damage to the property during your stay and you can't damage it without having arrived first! I wouldn't pay it until I have the key in my hand."

My thoughts exactly!

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
"I agree, it makes no sense to send a security deposit in advance: it's the owner's protection against damage to the property during your stay and you can't damage it without having arrived first! I wouldn't pay it until I have the key in my hand."

My thoughts exactly!

I am currently in the process of renting a villa in CdC and I have to put up 50% in order to secure my reservation. The other 50% would be due before check in or in some cases day of check in with the property manager if the owner is an expat. I too am going through Homeaway and have rented from their site for a villa in Punta Cana. Yes a phone call would ease any apprehensions. So far I have been happy....only concern I have when renting is that I worry that when I do check in the pictures compared to the real thing are not the same. Only to find out that the pictures are from 10 or 20 years ago when the property and furniture were new. However, most properties I've rented are owned by Forgieners and not Dominicans.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am currently in the process of renting a villa in CdC and I have to put up 50% in order to secure my reservation. The other 50% would be due before check in or in some cases day of check in with the property manager if the owner is an expat. I too am going through Homeaway and have rented from their site for a villa in Punta Cana. Yes a phone call would ease any apprehensions. So far I have been happy....only concern I have when renting is that I worry that when I do check in the pictures compared to the real thing are not the same. Only to find out that the pictures are from 10 or 20 years ago when the property and furniture were new. However, most properties I've rented are owned by Forgieners and not Dominicans.

Those were my experience in CR, DR and Panama. I would NEVER pay in full for something I haven't seen from my own eyes.

There are a few DR1 posters in Jaracoaba, you could double check with them for references ?

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
50% sounds reasonable to me. Two calls and one voicemail and so far no response.bi guess that answers my question.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
Those were my experience in CR, DR and Panama. I would NEVER pay in full for something I haven't seen from my own eyes.

There are a few DR1 posters in Jaracoaba, you could double check with them for references ?

Agreed. Anyone living in Jarabacoa.....? Bueller? Lol!

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
*update*

Since it was my birthday and I wanted to experience a little tranquility after partying hard for my birthday in Santo Domingo, l decided to negotiate only sending the deposit in advance and paying the night stay upon arrival. I house and features were exactly as advertised on the website. I had a great time and even enjoyed the night life in the city center. I will definitely stay at the Villa Leti again.