Finally, some positive action on immigration from Haiti.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Now this is a bit second hand but it apparently did happen today....

A Haitian friend went to Port au Prince get her customary 1 year Dominican visa to continue her bi-monthly business trips to Santo Domingo.
For the first time ever she was told 'No!'

New rules.

She needed to supply an 'attestation' from a bank.
She needed to supply a letter from an employer.
She was told she could only stay 20 days or face an 8,000 peso fine upon exit.
These, she was told, are new regulations imposed by Danilo.
At this time there was no 'way round it' but once the heat is off I am sure they will get slacker about it all.

So has anyone else heard anything about this?
Is this good and meaningful work from the Danilo-Fernandez presidency?
Can they make it stick?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
New regulations did go into effect on 1 June. I have not read them but I understand that they are available on-line...

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Unless I'm missing something I don't see how this is positive. So this is a Haitian who actually goes to The DR to spend money and we're trying to put more hurdles? Positive reform to me will be when we start arresting The Dominicans responsible for bringing in loads of undocumented Haitians for a few bucks and when we arrest those responsible for carting loads of Haitian children (who should be in school) to intersections of Santiago and Santo Domingo to beg for money which they then take and keep for themselves.

Also I don't see how Danilo can be imposing anything yet, given he won't be president for at least a couple of more months.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Unless I'm missing something I don't see how this is positive. So this is a Haitian who actually goes to The DR to spend money and we're trying to put more hurdles? Positive reform to me will be when we start arresting The Dominicans responsible for bringing in loads of undocumented Haitians for a few bucks and when we arrest those responsible for carting loads of Haitian children (who should be in school) to intersections of Santiago and Santo Domingo to beg for money which they then take and keep for themselves.

Also I don't see how Danilo can be imposing anything yet, given he won't be president for at least a couple of more months.

Those were my thoughts as well. The rationale that is followed here with administrative measures/programs is the same one that is followed regarding public works, that is, they are left to deteriorate until the point of destruction, cuz' there's always more $$$ to be done by building the things anew instead of the few pesos it would take to just give maintenance to the works in the first place.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

Of course, silly me - not paying attention as I don't live there any more.

However,
I think that the more organised the process is the better.
Up to this point anybody would get an automatic visa and get it in an hour, criminals included. Nobody was checked out at all.
There was never any question of applying and being judged on whether you might return within the visa terms.

The D.R. needs to control who enters if they are to improve things for the people who live there.
Yeah, for sure Suarezn, please arrest the criminal trafficking gangs that import then exploit Haitians.
But for the legitimate methods of entering this could be start of fixing the problem in which step one is taking control of the situation.